• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 The Architect

HUNT

• CCLP4 Staff
  • 56 posts

• Favourite Set:N/A

Posted 05 November 2016 - 10:44 PM

The initial coding is sufficiently finished that I am finally ready to announce my new project: Chip's Challenge Creator (working title), the first unified editor for both Tile World and CC2, with script editing!

Below is a screenshot clip demonstrating my code's ability to load a familiar CC2 level and display it using the CC2 tileset:

Spoiler

The plan is to write the first version in Java, for ease and speed of development. The Java program should work on most people's systems, and I hope later to port the program to C++ for more power and versatility.

Below is a list of the planned features for the editor. I invite everyone to look over the list, and reply with any requests for additions or modifications.

Spoiler

With the heavy coding out of the way, I may have the project finished in a month or two. Hopefully the community will find it useful for creating the next generation of awesome Chip's Challenge levels!  :chipwin:

#2 Joshua Bone

BRUSHFIRE

• Members
  • 45 posts

• Favourite Set:CC2
  • My Top CC1 Levels
  • My Bottom CC1 Levels
  • My Top CC2 Levels
  • My Bottom CC2 Levels

Posted 06 November 2016 - 07:43 PM

Can't wait to see it! Thanks for working on this.

#3 The Architect

HUNT

• CCLP4 Staff
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 06:01 AM

Here's a preview of how the editor GUI will look. Obviously it's a work-in-progress, especially the map view, but this gives an idea of the general plan, if anyone's interested.  :)

Screen cap with the Levels tab in front:

Spoiler

Screen cap with the Elements tab in front:

Spoiler

Note that the icons are only placeholders. I could use a set of good-quality icons, if anyone would like to draw them or point me to a free online source.  :)

#4 The Architect

HUNT

• CCLP4 Staff
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 08:05 AM

Well, I would have liked to have been able to release the editor for Christmas. :) Sadly, there have been unforeseen delays. Just want to let you all know that I'm still working hard on it, and may be able to release as early as sometime in January.

In the meantime, here's another screen cap demonstrating ways to use the tools that I've coded so far, as well as showing what the window looks like at a different size from that shown above.

Spoiler

By the way, I'm still interested in getting some help with the icons. Development will be much faster if I don't have to draw them all myself. ;)

#5 random 8

PERFECT MATCH

• CCLP4 Staff
  • 605 posts

• Favourite Set:CCLP3
  • My Top CC1 Levels

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:47 PM

By the way, I'm still interested in getting some help with the icons. Development will be much faster if I don't have to draw them all myself. ;)

Copy them from CCEdit. :teeth:

#6 The Architect

HUNT

• CCLP4 Staff
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:00 AM

Copy them from CCEdit. :teeth:

First of all, I don't want CC Creator to look like a CCEdit ripoff.  :P

Secondly, CCEdit doesn't have icons for all of the features that CC Creator has.

#7 mobius

CORRIDOR

• Members
  • 351 posts

• My Top CC1 Levels
  • My Bottom CC1 Levels
  • My Top CC2 Levels
  • My Bottom CC2 Levels

Posted 26 January 2017 - 02:42 AM

nice nice nice!!!

I didn't see this but might have missed it;

a copy/cut/paste level feature would be nice, the kind which the old old, CCEdit had (or something similar)

also what's your stance on invalid tile combinations? For example placing a no symbol without items allowing new (unintended) behavior. Will this kind of thing be possible in this editor?

#8 The Architect

HUNT

• CCLP4 Staff
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 10:55 PM

a copy/cut/paste level feature would be nice, the kind which the old old, CCEdit had (or something similar)

All the CC1 editors have this feature, and CC Creator will be no exception.

also what's your stance on invalid tile combinations? For example placing a no symbol without items allowing new (unintended) behavior. Will this kind of thing be possible in this editor?

My general plan is that with some advanced editing, you can produce any kind of invalid combination you please.

However, elements like the forbidden sign and directionless frame blocks will be freely placeable by default. I see no reason to limit the kinds of puzzles you can make using them. :)

In contrast, elements like clone machines with multiple directions, while possible, are completely useless, so you'll need to do advanced editing to place such elements (if you really want them).

#9 The Architect

HUNT

• CCLP4 Staff
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 02:37 AM

Just finished coding the systems to import levels from both C2M and CCL files! As a demo, I imported the first level of each of CC1 (Steam version), CC2, CCLP1, CCLP2, and CCLP3 into a single project and took screenshots. Since the images are large (the editor window is maximized), check them out on Imgur: http://imgur.com/a/Jm0dn.

There's still a ways to go; but I would estimate at this point more than 3/4 of the heavy work is now finished. :)

#10 mobius

CORRIDOR

• Members
  • 351 posts

• My Top CC1 Levels
  • My Bottom CC1 Levels
  • My Top CC2 Levels
  • My Bottom CC2 Levels

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:29 PM

(Y) :lol: sweet

I like the fact that you can see/set how many chips are required; a feature missing from the CC2 editor

#11 The Architect

HUNT

• CCLP4 Staff
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:20 AM

Time for another update!

I just finished adding the ability to select/fill/copy/paste sections of the map. Here's an image of a map where I pasted in the quadrants of my level "Olympic Games", rearranged from the original. The second image is the original, in CCEdit, from which I copied the data. (Warning: maximized screen caps.)

Spoiler

Present but not shown: undo/redo, plus a month's worth of work on internal logic for opening multiple maps in tabs. :D

Major work still to do:

• View options, including zoom and metagraphics (creature paths, element areas-of-effect, etc.).
  • Dialogs to edit level and series properties, including story scripts.
  • Support for the C2G and CCX formats.
  • Help documentation.

But it's getting there!

#12 Nickcc

LESSON 5

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:56 AM

Let me know if you want some help with the basic c2g format stuff. You probably know it better than I do given the information you compiled but I can tell you what I did for my program. 

#13 The Architect

HUNT

• CCLP4 Staff
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:41 AM

Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it, once I'm ready to tackle that stuff. Looks like you've already figured out some stuff I hadn't thought to try. :)

#14 The Architect

HUNT

• CCLP4 Staff
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 03:12 AM

Well, I'm sorry, since I know you all really want this editor; but I'm afraid I'm going to have to put it on hold indefinitely. Life's just gotten too busy to make time for it.  :( I'm hoping I can get back to it sometime this year, but I can't make any promises.

Anyway, I had a few more screenshots lying around, so you can have a look at them. These are various dialogs that I had just started adding (warning: maximized images):

Spoiler

#15 mobius

CORRIDOR

• Members
  • 351 posts

• My Top CC1 Levels
  • My Bottom CC1 Levels
  • My Top CC2 Levels
  • My Bottom CC2 Levels

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:09 PM

this was a cruel prank and I totally fell for it! :D

#16 M11k4

GOLDKEY

• Senior Staff
  • 717 posts

• Favourite Set:CCLP3
  • My Top CC1 Levels
  • My Bottom CC1 Levels
Contributor

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:50 PM

I fell for it too. Well done and with good taste. :)

#17 The Architect

HUNT

• CCLP4 Staff
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:35 PM

As should be evident by now, my previous post was a joke, with the exception of the part in the spoiler box. :)

Thank you to those who have expressed interest in beta testing so far. You'll hear back from me in a couple weeks, once I have the program ready. Anyone else who'd like to volunteer, please IM me.

#18 The Architect

HUNT

• CCLP4 Staff
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:41 AM

Time for another update. I've made a fair amount of progress, despite getting sidetracked by CCLP4 voting and Real Life. Many of the editor's dialog windows are now finished, and I have screenshots of them below.

Spoiler

I was hoping to have the editor ready for some beta testing a month ago, but as I said, other things got in the way. I did, however, get a good number of people interested in testing (thank you everyone who volunteered). The invitation is still open, if anyone else would like to join. I don't yet have a real timeframe for when testing will be.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mscc, tile world, cc2, editor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users