Moonpig

Chip's Challenge 1 & 2 coming to steam

"Never give up hope that CC2 will be released, I am continuing to explore opportunities."

-- Chuck Sommerville, July 30, 2006, in a post to annexcafe.chips.challenge

:) :) :) :) :)

• Upvote 3

I remember thinking when I was younger that if I ever became extremely rich, I would pay whatever money was necessary to get CC2 released. Phew, now that takes the pressure off me to find a way to become extremely rich.  :P  A big thanks and congrats to everyone involved with this long-awaited release!

• Upvote 4

Wow. This is unexpected. It makes me a bit sad though—because it makes me wish I had the time to implement a third mode for Tile World :) (which would take extra long time considering I’ve never really written anything in C…)

Nitpick: I dislike that Chip’s Challenge 1 doesn’t look like Chip’s Challenge.

Hey! The Windows version was after all the ported version, and Chuck has mentioned before what he feels about it.

Otherwise, I've read over at the facepunch forums that the graphics is just stored as a raw bmp file, much alike how TileWorld does it. Same with music; stored as midi files.

Something I put together to help get us more ready for the game...

• Upvote 4

Didn't notice that some of the levels have a 10x10 viewport until I saw the option for that in the editor dialog.

It also seems to have the ability to specify the size of the level. I wonder what the max size is...

Perhaps I'm more excited about being able to design levels for this game than playing it.  I've often wondered, when playing and designing CC levels, whether Chuck Somerville realized the staggering possibilities that could be created far beyond the 149-level game.  And now CC2 is just insanity waiting to be unleashed.

The only bummer is that it's on Windows, and I switched to Linux Mint a few months ago.  Perhaps it's just as well, so I won't spend too much time on it (which I can no longer afford to these days...).

What will be most interesting to see is what direction it takes the community in.

Like will anybody be interested in future CC(1)LPs anymore?

- Madhav.

• Upvote 1

What will be most interesting to see is what direction it takes the community in. Like will anybody be interested in future CC(1)LPs anymore?

Even with CC2 coming soon, there are still a handful of people that are still interested in future CCLPs, me being one of those people.

• Upvote 1

Even with CC2 coming soon, there are still a handful of people that are still interested in future CCLPs, me being one of those people.

I'm also in this group-at the very least there's still a demand for a CCLP4, but whether that continues beyond will depend on what avenues CC2 offers in that regard-assuming the publisher doesn't pull it from Steam!

I hope CCLP4 will be a sequel to CC1 and not to CC2.  I'm very happy to find out that CC2 will finally be released, but I consider it more like a seperate game than a sequel.  The real sequels are CCLP1, CCLP2 and CCLP3.

Wow. This is unexpected. It makes me a bit sad though—because it makes me wish I had the time to implement a third mode for Tile World :) (which would take extra long time considering I’ve never really written anything in C…)

Nitpick: I dislike that Chip’s Challenge 1 doesn’t look like Chip’s Challenge.

Fear not, there are other people interested in emulating the game engine! ;)

I'm rather uncomfortable with the incompatibilities regarding tools. Has it been confirmed that even the original four types of boots can be dropped?

Yes, they can - though it seems like (other than the lack of Concussion Rule) this is the only significant change.

Enough of cc2 is different to warrant  cc1 being a separate program. I would think though that one could create levels with the editor and use the cc1 ruleset, although it might effect the new cc2 stuff if any was included in the level. 

thanks to J.B. for posting the video on his channel about this, I wouldn't have known otherwise :D(Y):chipwin:

Does anyone know if there will be in game music? If so it be nice if there are more than 2 songs...

One day to go! (Sorry it's my first post here, stopped playing CC1 / TW a while back due to time constraints)

What will the price be? Any predictions?

A third mode may be possible for Tile World to be implemented... but the bigger question is, can third-party CC1 levelsets (created with the MS CC-based editors) be played with the Steam version at all? (CC1 wise)

On topic (CC2): I think two new modes will have to be implemented for Tile World once the Steam games are released. We'll see if CC2's gameplay is really different from CC1's.