Sign in to follow this  
mobius

bug in editor?

this is a bug in the game not the editor but;

I'm sure someone's noticed already; if a trap is triggered by wire, by a "pulse" [sometimes] if something is in the trap it will not be released or move forward.

In case anyone doesn't know; a pulse refers to a when a wire is triggered by something moving over a button continuously; that is the monster or chip doesn't stop on the button so the time the wire is triggered is very short, or when a east-west counter reaches 0.

I've noticed that too, except the version of the bug i came across involved a trap button instead of wires. Never got around to adding it to the public bug list, though.

Edited by random 8

thanks for posting that link again. I had lost it.

EDIT:  I may have discovered a related glitch: it seems that this may not only effect traps but also logic gates; as in a "pulse" had no effect on a counter gate when it should've. I have not verified this however.

I can say that the effect is either non-existent or not as bad on pink or green toggle doors. I haven't had it happen in that instance.

It also seems like this bug only happens under certain circumstances, because in some tests the trap worked every time.

EDIT: I just confirmed this does happen. A pulse is sent through a sytem of wires and gates, and ultimately reaches a counter gate [east-west] it should go up one increment but does not. While holding down the button for at least a second it works as intended.

In the instance i came across with the trap button, it only happened if i pressed it coming from a certain direction.

I'm curious what your setup is. Can you share an image or c2m file of it?

I can confirm it also happens with brown buttons. I forgot about it until you mentioned it but I did see this also. I don't know about a direction.

My setup [which I mention above.] if pretty big. Basically; either me or an enemy pressing a pink button by walking continuously over it is not correctly triggering wires correctly. Interestingly; the problem may be happening somewhere in the tangle of wires because I could visually see the wire turning quickly near the button but the counter gate is not responding; either the gate is effected directly or somewhere the wires are losing it [or another gate].

this picture probably isn't real good but I don't want to reveal this whole level because it would spoil it [i plan to upload my levelpack sometime soon].
Basically the wire in question will pass through 6-8 logic gates [including counters] before reaching the counter at the end. [btw, it has nothing to do with those incomplete wires, I just drew them up quick because the real pink button and other gates are off screen, the image would be too big.

http://cczone.invisionzone.com/uploads/gallery/category_3/gallery_127_3_2155.png

the funny thing is; I haven't yet experienced it with anything else; like doors. For example on another level when I first discovered this on the trap I had a fireball go through a straight line of traps but when it didn't work I switched to a series of force floors and pink toggle doors to achieve the same result; and then it worked just fine. There was no glitch with the toggle doors [still from pulses].

There is a one-tick delay between the input and output of any logic gate. Any moving monster, player, or bowling ball crossing a pink button will trigger a pulse lasting exactly one tick; however, if you are the player and you stop for any amount of time on the button you'll end up with a longer pulse. That effect has broken a few of my contraptions, but there are workarounds.

JV9MwSP.png
This contraption in particular I recommend for any complex circuits. It turns any length button press into a one-tick pulse, and thus ensures no difference between a player and a monster. Hope it helps! Looking forward to seeing your set.

(incidentally, for all the bugs in CC2 I have yet to find any behaviors related to wires and logic gates that doesn't have a good explanation)

Awesome; that's a very useful little set-up. Thanks for all the logic gate tips. (Y)

Reguarding this glitch; not sure if you understand, but what seems to be happening is either; no tick or nothing at all is being registered by a button press OR the objects [in this case traps and logic gates] are not receiving or properly registering the ticks. [...OR anything else really cause I'm no expert on this by any means :P ]

I didn't get to do any testing yet however. But I was able to fix my own level, but it was by setting up a system where balls press two on/off switches so that the wires get turned on for much longer than a pulse.

EDIT: I was testing out your contraption and thought I'd upload this here; this demonstrates what I'm talking about;

http://cczone.invisionzone.com/index.php?/files/file/522-trap-non-release-bug/

you can easily replace the trap with anything, like a toggle door. Toggle doors seem to work just fine even if, I might add; graphically; it sometimes looks as if the door does not change at all; the ship is let through.

Presently with the trap; the trap appears to open for a split second but the ship remains in place.

I just noticed that what happens graphically is rather odd too; if the button is pressed by walking into it from left or right the trap appears to open, but if I walk onto it from below it does not. This doesn't seem to effect the ship however, like random8 observed. This result isn't very regular however...

I can't follow your link, it says I don't have permission for that. However, I think I know what the issue is.

Monsters/Players/Blocks/Bowling Balls only try to move every 3rd tick. So if the trap opens due to a one-tick pulse, the trapped monster will only move if the tick is on a multiple of 3.

daj2sJV.png

So in this setup, assume the button gets pressed on tick Z (Z will always be a multiple of 3 due to the player movement logic).
The AND gate fires on tick Z+1, opening trap 1, but ball 1 stays put because Z+1 is not a movement tick (not divisible by 3).

The first OR gate fires on tick Z+2, opening trap 2, but ball 2 stays put because Z+2 is not a movement tick.

The second OR gate fires on tick Z+3, opening trap 3, and ball 3 exits the trap because Z+3 is a movement tick.

Hope this helps.

exactly what i was talking about, the trap opens on tick 3n+1 (where n is any integer depending on when you press the button), which is not divisible by 3, so the monster does not move. One fix is to add 2 OR gates in series so that the trap opens on tick 3n+3, which is a movement tick, as shown:

5oefQ1Z.png

I'll confess I'm surprised that your original setup works when wired to a toggle door. I'm wondering if monsters on force floors try to move every tick instead of every 3rd tick.

I'm wondering if monsters on force floors try to move every tick instead of every 3rd tick.

That seems to be the case. Try the example you show in this post (3 posts up from here) but with force floors->toggle walls instead of traps.

Now that i think about it, that could potentially explain some of the force floor bugs.

Confirmed. Objects stuck on force floors or ice try to move every tick. I think this is the only exception to the normal movement rule of every 3rd tick.

Here is an example for further study. The two toggle doors are only open on ticks (3n+1) where n is any integer, and are thus closed on every normal movement tick. The only way to collect the bonuses is to enter from the force floor (top bonus) or to create an ice tile and trap yourself between the pop up wall and the bonus (bottom).

s6qREHs.png

This entry is in the public bug list:

"Force Floor “forced ride”: Jeffrey Bardon/June 16th

If Chip or Melinda starts the level on a force floor, no overrides are possible until they stop sliding.

random 8/June 17th

Same thing happens if you drop suction boots on a force floor."

But I recently noticed that this can happen for no apparent reason while sliding. I just made a 10x10 level filled with random force floors and for reasons I haven't figured out yet, at random times while playing [it usually doesn't take very long] I lose the ability to override and become stuck in the 2x2 circling pattern.

I don't start on a force floor and I don't have boots.

Originally I had teleporters and other things in the level but I eliminated all that and it seems to happen regardless.

• Upvote 1