Sign in to follow this  
Melinda9

Where are you from ?

Hi chipsters !!!

I have a question :

Where are you from ?

I thought most of you are from America but... Maybe I am wrong :)

:glider::chipwin: I am from France and actually living in Middle East :):ph34r::spy:

I'm from Canada, but I think that's as specific as I'll get.

Though I've been to Almost every state bordering Canada in the US, and Great Britain.

Quite a bit of the CCLP3 staff was from outside America. :) This made for some interestingly timed e-mail responses...

COOL !

thank's for your answers guys !

I know we can look to the location of each one in profils but I felt it was more polite and convivial to ask :)

Génial Rockset, tu parles français ! Comment est le Quebec ? Froid en ce moment ?

Reynaldi, cool u are from Indonesia ! I went arround there in Malaisia, it's such a paradise !!! White beachs with palms, waters full of wonderful fishes ! I am so jealous, I am just living a desert where it's quiet hard to hang out !!!!

For now, except for few exception, the CC community defenitly has its headquarters in America !!! Cool !

Born and raised in Pittsburgh,, Pennsylvania; currently residing in Indiana. My dad's family is from Taiwan, and I've promised myself that if Rick Santorum gets elected president this November, I'm moving there.

(Not to instigate a political war here!)

;)

Le Québec est froid et enneigé. On ne peut même pas jouer au hockey à l'extérieur à cause de la neige :(

Ahhh, languages... Bring Andrew Gapic over here, we'll have a 3-way conversation :P:teeth:

India.

Je sais un peu Francais, having learnt some of it in school; but I can only read a bit, write very less, pronounce extremely little, and would be completely lost trying to understand a spoken conversation. But I think I understood most of what was written above. :rolleyes:

- Madhav.

• Upvote 2

I love efforts to learn other languages, that's part of a cultural knowledge and history and I think it's worth stopping on these when you're learning about other people :)

I also speak Spanish. It's quite off, but I fully understand the written. Couldn't produce anything fluid though :P

I was quite competent in the Spanish classes I took at my undergrad institution...but because they offered me no immediate reward, I stopped studying the language as soon as I completed the requisite courses.

(Typically American attitude, that.)

• Upvote 1

I am from California. Whole life I've been here. Bay Area, actually.

J.B., I didn't know you used to live around here!

I am from California. Whole life I've been here. Bay Area, actually.

J.B., I didn't know you used to live around here!

I'll be sure to let you know when next I visit!

Le Québec est froid et enneigé. On ne peut même pas jouer au hockey à l'extérieur à cause de la neige :(

Oh vraiment ? Il y a tant de neige que ça ? Combien en est-il tombé ? Un mètre ?

Chez moi ici c'est le désert, il fait chaud la journée mais très frois la nuit :). La neige me manque !

Cool, Madhav, Namaste ! let's talk French :) essayons de parler français bien que je sache que c'est une langue difficile !

I also think that it's important to learn other languages but it requires such a lot of efforts, especially to be fluent, it takes ages !

I feel it's very difficult to learn Arabic because I learnt a litterature language which is very different from what people are speaking in the streets here so it makes it harder and harder !!!

Where I live, we have less than half a foot of snow O_o

Not only that, but yesterday we had +13C temperatures... and this is January???

Excellent green kitten ! C'est incroyable tous les gens qui parlent français je suis étonnée !!!! Car nous les Français nous parlons si peu les autres langues !!!

So many people who can speak French, Amazinnnnng

I'm fron North-east London, local to famous faces such as Olly Murs, Stacey Solomon, and Amy Childs, the first two who I've seen at least once in person.

Aussi, je parle francais, mais j'admets que c'est un peu nul. Je n'aime pas ca etant donne que mon prof (gave me) mauvais notes au l'ecole.

And it's freezing here, and the only place I can practice darts is in the garden.

I'm fron North-east London, local to famous faces such as Olly Murs, Stacey Solomon, and Amy Childs, the first two who I've seen at least once in person.

Aussi, je parle francais, mais j'admets que c'est un peu nul. Je n'aime pas ca etant donne que mon prof (gave me) mauvais notes au l'ecole.

And it's freezing here, and the only place I can practice darts is in the garden.

You win the 'closest to Jacques' award. For now.

Today was -20C outside, dead cold. There was a snowstorm Thursday that went also on Friday, coming back from my university was such a pain lemme tell ya.

We have around 2 feet of snow.

I guess that I had better speak up for Australia....that's where I am from- many years ago (1969) But, on the other hand, I am now in Idaho, USA. (some ingnoratnt people get the state of Iowa mixed up with Idaho) -some people think that I am not all there, because I am not all here....whatever that means. Well, at least I am alive- at 69 years old.

Ian Wilson

Like James, I am from British Columbia, Canada. I live in a community of about 400 on Lake Cowichan in a rain forest. I visited la belle province last summer, and especially enjoyed old Quebec City. I took a car trip with the wife to Nova Scotia to visit her brother, returning back to BC through the center of the US. Round trip of 24,000 Km. over 2 months travel time.

Ian

Like James, I am from British Columbia, Canada. I live in a community of about 400 on Lake Cowichan in a rain forest. I visited la belle province last summer, and especially enjoyed old Quebec City. I took a car trip with the wife to Nova Scotia to visit her brother, returning back to BC through the center of the US. Round trip of 24,000 Km. over 2 months travel time.

Ian

Old Quebec City is definitely worth it.

Rockdet, We also met lovely hospitality while there. We even met a tour guide from Belgium who also spoke german and english up in the citidel. And the food!!! Wow!

Ian

If you come to live in America Tom, don't come to California. It totally sucks here (Y)

What part of California are you from? Just the other day I was listening to someone talk about how amazing San Francisco is. I didn't believe them, but then, I dislike large cities.

I'm from Sweden. But I'm 25% Brittish and 25% Finnish.

I, too, understand French - at least so much as what you've written in this thread.

Speaking Swedish, I'm guessing Miika might understand, but probably noone else?

We also met lovely hospitality while there. We even met a tour guide from Belgium who also spoke german and english up in the citidel. And the food!!! Wow!

Ian

Nice to hear. Quebecers are very nice people indeed :)

And I don't understand Swedish at all for now, I've been picking up words left and right, but got absolutely no knowledge of its grammar whatsoever. I'm 100% French but also speak an almost flawless English and a very broken Spanish.

What part of California are you from? Just the other day I was listening to someone talk about how amazing San Francisco is. I didn't believe them, but then, I dislike large cities.

I'm from central California. San Francisco is about 2 hours away from me and I don't like the city either. Way too hilly.

Not to mention earthquakey also :P

I'm from Sweden.

This might seem incredibly random, but are you familiar with Labrador Records?

I'm from central California. San Francisco is about 2 hours away from me and I don't like the city either. Way too hilly.

I could dig the hills; frankly, I'm not fond of flat places. But earthquakes and cramped city blocks? Nah...

I could dig the hills; frankly, I'm not fond of flat places. But earthquakes and cramped city blocks? Nah...

Also half the population in SF is gay people. Of course I don't mean that in a bad way.

Especially when you realize just how bad an ~8.0 would be. Fortunately, most earthquakes are short, weak and small, but sometimes not. Oh, and the stresses on some portions of the san andreas and hayward faults are extremely high and could literally rupture any second with over a 90% chance of a major earthquake there in the next two decades. I hope you feel lucky. Sweet dreams.

Also half the population in SF is gay people. Of course I don't mean that in a bad way.

Just lol.

Maybe there I'd find people who would appreciate Barbra Streisand and Pet Shop Boys as much as I do.

(Did I really just admit that?)

Although I like Tears For Fears and Depeche Mode, I'd put them somewhere near the end of my synth-pop hierarchy.

New Order > PSB > Erasure > Yazoo > Human League> Soft Cell > TFF > DM

I rate Duran Duran, Eurythmics, Spandau Ballet, and Japan somewhere between invisible wall mazes and fire under blocks (in MS mode).

The heresy you speak!

New Order = my ears are bleeding!

PSB = I wish they were as good as Depeche Mode

Depeche Mode = damn

TFF = Breakup worse than the Beatles and Wham

Duran Duran = Breakup made them better

Yazoo = my ears thank you

Erasure = who knew there were 20 songs that were all the same, but a good same

SoftCell, Spandau Ballet, etc. = would we have missed them if they never happened?

Japan = who?

The Human League = one great song does not make a great band

And I should probably throw in OMD (not really worth mentioning), Madness (who's house?) and Quickflight (what, you've never heard of them either?).

Duran Duran, Eurythmics, New Order, Depeche Mode, Tears For Fears, oh man. I love all of these.

How can you not like New Order, Dave? True heresy!

I LOVE OMD! I can't believe I forgot about them!

Without Soft Cell, you don't have synth-pop's all-time best moment: the 12" version of "Say Hello, Wave Goodbye," complete with clarinet introduction.

Japan are responsible for the terrible song "Ghosts." You've probably heard it.

I don't consider Madness to be synth-pop. "Crap that gives ska a bad name" works, though.

The Human League have more than one great song; they've got a great album (ok, track 6 sucks), plus "(Keep Feeling) Fascination."

Tears For Fears are the band with three or four great songs (Advice For The Young At Heart, Badman's Song, Sowing The Seeds Of Love, the 12" version of Pale Shelter), and then a bunch of blandness. And I have to say that the breakup of the Beatles gives me great pleasure, because I love to hear fanboys crying themselves to sleep about the Evil Yoko Ono. Plus, by breaking up when they did, they spared the world another dozen albums' worth of mediocrity.

Well I've learned not to touch the sacred beatles cow for fear of being eaten alive by hippies.

The sad news about Davy Jones reminds me that I used to be in an internet fan club for them before the web really caught on. alt.monkees or something. Anyway, despite them being the ultimate in bubblegum, they had a couple very under-appreciated songs, including Shades of Grey and Door Into Summer.

Every song on Tears for Fears greatest hits album is awesome. I can understand if you don't find any merit in Tears Roll Down, but Mad World is an all time anthem for the angst that most of us go through at some point in our lives. The world really is crazy, you know.

Eh, as far as hippies go, I say [censored] them. Half the time their brains are fried from too many drugs and featherweight philosophical convictions.

I don't really have anything against "Mad World," just that it provokes absolutely no response in me. But if you like it, hey...sometimes I wish I could like more music than I do. In general, I like my angst over-the-top yet elegant. You know, Portishead-style.

BTW Yazoo's Upstairs at Eric's was overrated when it came out, but is underrated now.

Same goes for Boom Crash Opera's These Here Are Crazy Times.

The thing about Yazoo is that you can combine their two albums and the odd singles into one truly great album...but neither of their studio albums is really all that great, and neither is their "Best Of."

"Bad Connection," "Only You," and "Nobody's Diary" are my favorite Yazoo songs. The less said about "I Before E Except After C," the better.

I think it's amazingly hilarious that this change of topic happened when I said something about gay people in SF XD

Just hadda through it out there :P

Anyways, back to your normally scheduled topic.

This might seem incredibly random, but are you familiar with Labrador Records?

Sorry, no. And thus yes, that seems very random indeed! :)

The thing about Yazoo is that you can combine their two albums and the odd singles into one truly great album...but neither of their studio albums is really all that great, and neither is their "Best Of."

"Bad Connection," "Only You," and "Nobody's Diary" are my favorite Yazoo songs. The less said about "I Before E Except After C," the better.

I honestly tried to like that track, but just couldn't. Only You is the only track that I'd kill for.

I do not agree with that massive Beatles hate, perhaps you chose the Stones instead and that's perfectly fine, but one has to understand that most everything today has the Beatles as a reference. Same goes with The Who for any metalhead around.

I do agree that we went seriously off-topic and another topic should be made for those who'd like to maintain this very fierce debate.

one has to understand that most everything today has the Beatles as a reference.

Well, yes. That doesn't mean that one has to like them. There's a difference between being influential and being "good."

If you put a gun to my head and said "listen to a Beatles album," I'd go for Please Please Me or A Hard Day's Night. I wouldn't dislike them quite so much if they'd broken up around the time of Revolver. Up 'till then, they were merely mediocre, with the odd great single. After Revolver, though, they fell into a spiral of complete crap.

Which is better than the Stones, I suppose, who started off as a terrible band and then, improbably enough, got worse with time.

I love The Beatles and Rolling Stones, but not as much as Elvis. (Y)

Anyway, enough with the music discussions here. This topic needs to get back on track. :blob:

Beatles' best works are all towards the end, no musician on this planet will ever deny that. They definitely made some of the most impressive stuff I've ever heard on Abbey Road and Sgt.Peppers' Lonely Hearts Club Band

And I'm spiritually closer to B.C. than Quebec right now, but I'm still a Canadian deep inside.

Don't worry I'm still from California :)

I changed my mind. I've decided that I'm from West Virginia. Having heard endless jokes about West Virginians (most of which would be too gross to post on this site even if we weren't striving for family-friendliness), I'm curious to see what life in West Virginia is like. Naturally, I'll keep you all posted.

Sometimes I feel like I should be from another time period...:)

I'm fairly sure that I would not have survived in ancient times. Either I'd have been captured by slave traders and then killed by my master for general laziness, or my tribe would have packed up and left me behind in the middle of the night.

Modern life does have its perks.

I didn't mean that far back - I was thinking more along the lines of the 50s or 60s, at least in my case.

One of my close friends would love to live between the 1890s and 1930s. :D What am I saying - she practically does!

I could have had some success had I been born a couple decades earlier, but I would not have survived to enjoy it. Yay medicine!

The 50's and 60's? I'm fairly sure I wouldn't have been smart enough to dodge the draft. I probably would have also been too chicken to join a cult or commune. And I'd be the kid who got laughed at 'cause he'd rather listen to Frank Sinatra and Billie Holiday than the Stones or the Beach Boys.

Then again, it would have been cool to hear Chuck Berry and Elvis and Little Richard back in the day: you know, anticipating every new single, etc. Shame I'd have had to work a soul-crushing job in order to hear that stuff (unless I lived someplace like Memphis, where they had a decent radio station).

Exactly! Ah, I love the oldies. It would've been so much fun just to dance to those songs.

I have less rhythm than Ringo Starr has songwriting capabilities. So dancing's out for me. I'd be happy listening to that stuff in my room (were headphones "in" then? Because Phil Spector sounds best on headphones. Actually, most stuff sounds better on headphones than on a stereo).

Anyway, the three musical movements I'd most like to experience firsthand (along with early rock 'n' roll) would be 70's punk (in England), 80's/90's Madchester (in Manchester, of course), and 90's Britpop (London, I guess).

Hi everyone! Sorry to interrupt this music conversation...

I have double nationality. I am spanish (Spain-spanish, not "latino-americano"-spanish), and american. I was born in a city in southern Spain, and currently live in a town near that city. From the age of 4 to 12- I have lived in Nebraska (Yep, that not-really-famous-for-anything state, and probably one of the ones you've never heard of). Ah! Who am I kidding, it's pretty nice over there. (But in Spain I have a beach nevarby  :P). I consider myself more spanish than american. I am also an 18 year old, and starting to live like one XD. About french: I take it at school, but since this year has not gone well, well, french is one of the subjects that haven't gone well... My mom and my uncle speak it pretty well, but me, not much... About San Francisco: I am not (may I say gay, with no offense?) or a hippie, but San Francisco is a place I've always wanted to visit! About music, Well yeah, I've heard of Pet Shop boys, Rolling Stones, The Beatles, etc. but don't really listen to them... I'm more of a rock-type guy, my tastes in rock go from rock to thrash metal, with some other sub-genres in between. But fortunately for everyone, I also like other type of music, like Michael Jackson, 90s-early 2000s pop, I could say some limited rap, oh and I also somewhat like Reggae (for example Bob Marley). And probably I'm some other music which I can't remember right now. I know, I have a different taste in music. I HATE the music most of the people my age listen to over here, it's too annoying.

But I gotta ask. How do so many people from around the world know about Chip's Challenge? Did they have the Atari Lynx? Did they get it from their "Windows Entertainment Pack" from their Windows 2000 or did they hear about it or saw it on the internet?

Me, I got it from the "Windows Entertainment Pack" (good memories  B) ).

Well, se ya!

I imagine most people here (including me) discovered Chip's Challenge from the Windows Entertainment Packs.

(That was all i wanted to say, but since i'm here...)

Born and raised (and still living) in Texas. Concerning my ethnicity, my mom is Oriental and my dad is European.

I imagine most people here (including me) discovered Chip's Challenge from the Windows Entertainment Packs.

(That was all i wanted to say, but since i'm here...)

Born and raised (and still living) in Texas. Concerning my ethnicity, my mom is Oriental and my dad is European.

Actually, I found it out by the web. I think its when I first saw the wiki I got truly a Chipster. I think I saw it before then but I really had NO IDEA WHAT WAS HAPPENING. I would think my little brain would think "Is that fanged teeth frog trying to kiss that dude? Why is he having to collect these computer chips? Why is the exit just a bunch of squares in squares when the rest has some kind of computer theme going on? Why is this guy dancing in the ending? What the crap is a bit buster? WHAT THE **** IS A SONIC?*"

*5 computer chips if you get the joke :chipwin:

I would think my little brain would think "Is that fanged teeth frog trying to kiss that dude? Why is he having to collect these computer chips? Why is the exit just a bunch of squares in squares when the rest has some kind of computer theme going on? 

I like your little brain, it's funny.

Edited by Hash1