BigOto2

What did you call monsters and other CC objects when you were younger?

When I was very young and first started playing CC, most monsters had their own names before I knew what they were really called. Some of mine were pretty hilarious:

- Teeth were "frogs" as I said on another thread.

- Gliders had no name because I didn't even know what the heck they were.

- Paramecia were "bugs".

- Bees were bees (what most people call bugs or spiders nowadays).

- Tanks were tankers.

- Pink balls were "killing things".

- Walkers were "balls with sticks through them".

- Fireballs were "fireflies".

- Blobs were "cloudy things", or simply "clouds", and sometimes even "apple treetops".

- Traps were "sticky things".

- Teleports were "transporters".

- Thiefs were "firemen".

- Recessed walls were "Appearing blocks" or simply "blocks".

Everything else was referred to by their obvious official names, pretty much.

What did you think certain tiles were before you learned their official names? Any particularly hilarious ones?

I believe my biggest highlight (and still being today) is the policeman. I don't quite remember the others, as I called them in French anyway in names that would generally resemble their real names in English.

I used to call bombs "cherries" because they kinda look like them, sorta...

And I also mispronounced toggle as "tuggle" instead of "tawggle" for the longest time :P

I saw the Help file for the game when I first played it, so I tended to call everything by its official name. One of my friends, though, called the walker a "dumbbell." :)

I saw the Help file for the game when I first played it, so I tended to call everything by its official name. One of my friends, though, called the walker a "dumbbell." :)

On Chipedit, that's what it's called though, right? I was misled into thinking the true name of the Walker was Dumbbell too.

I used to call gliders 'Forks' for some reason

I used to call the exit the 'Winpart' for a long time too.

I also called recessed walls 'pop-up' walls, but that's not really abnormal.

On Chipedit, that's what it's called though, right? I was misled into thinking the true name of the Walker was Dumbbell too.

You're absolutely right. I totally forgot about that!

I used to call gliders 'Forks' for some reason

I used to call the exit the 'Winpart' for a long time too.

I also called recessed walls 'pop-up' walls, but that's not really abnormal.

LOL, I think glider = fork is the funniest one yet. It's so arbitrary.

Glider was spaceship, and I don't know what walkers were except that I almost always hated them. I remember distinctly knowing paramecia and blobs by their regular names because they were named in the decade and level messages.

Where was the paramecium named in a decade message or hint in CC1?

Sorry, it wasn't a decade message I was thinking of, it was one of Melinda's special dispatches from the CHIPS.HLP file, the one for CHCHCHIPS:

Dear Chip, I stutter with excitement when I think of the 170 chips I left in this area! Timing is important. You'll no doubt run across, or be run over by, my pet paramecium. He's been all alone in the lab for too long. You'll have to move fast to snatch the last chip away from him. I expect you might be trampled a few times, but believe me, Chip, it can be done! Apologetically, Melinda

Back then, I didn't even know what the Paramecium was until Chipedit. It just looked like some brown thing with legs, and the Theif as "That cool guy with Sunglasses".

Teeth - Frog... every cool kid called it that... at the time. :P

Walker - Kebab. Yeah.

Thief - Crook

Tank - Plunger - I didn't even know what they were :huh:

I also used to call blobs sponges... They look like them... :lol:

I think I used to call the pink ball "Ping Pong balls" and I used to call gliders, "arrow shaped discs" lol

@Rockded I am curious to hear the names in French you used to give them ^^

About me :

- Teeth : Frogs, toads (grenouilles, crapauds)

- Gliders : spatula (spatules)

- Paramecia : worms (vers)

- Bees : fleas (puces)

- Tanks : tanks.

- Pink balls : purples pearls (perles violettes).

- Walkers : blue pearls with a stick on their a... back ! lol (perles bleues avec un bâton dans leur posterieur ^^)

- Fireballs : ninja stars (étoiles ninja)

- Blobs : no name... horrible random things, UFO spunges (éponges extraterrestres)

- Thiefs : detective (détective)

-Socket (The grey thing you can take only if you took all the chips before the end) : cinema band or photo band (it's look like a little bit) : (pellicule de film ou de photo).

-Force field : green ways/arrows (frèches vertes)

-gravel : gravel (gravier) or (snow, neige) in French, the term snow can fit when we turn on tv without any channel and we see black and white gravel like this.

-Hint : the question point (since I could not understand what was written)

-Force succion boots : pressure chooses (chaussures à pression)

-Trap : sucker (ventouse).

-At the very beginning, I believed FIRE was three red burnt orchidea flowers which were burning Chips (look at it carrefully maybe you will see them)...

-Brown block : pieces of chocolate :):fireblock:

I think that's all :)

Actually I was thinking when I was 8 that Chip could survive in the game by eating those chocolate things and I did not like to leave him in a level where they were not present ^^ lol

I always wondered why the game called the blocks "brown blocks" when they look more green. :)

Really? Admittedly, I never properly learned the names of the more "mixed" colours, but I always thought the blocks looked brown...

I always wondered why the game called the blocks "brown blocks" when they look more green. :)

Check out the Sheila tileset (still in production, but available here in draft form!) It has blocks that actually ARE green :D

Of course, the dirt looks more like grass.

Teeth = frog

Glider = shark

Yellow bug = ant

Paramecium = centipede

Walker = blue ball

...but in swedish, of course.

I always thought the tanks look like plungers, but I'm not sure of the correct swedish word for that tool so we always called them tanks. I can't understand why they're not green if they are tanks?

I always thought the tanks look like plungers, but I'm not sure of the correct swedish word for that tool so we always called them tanks. I can't understand why they're not green if they are tanks?

Snap. I thought I was the only one...

I'm guessing tanks were created at that point when every other button had been created, and the designers thought, "Oh, blue is the only button color we haven't used yet! They can go with tanks, so...they'll have to be blue too to avoid confusion." :P Of course, they could've always switched the colors of tanks and toggle walls...

I used this one because I didn't know what they were. Also, I can remember blobs were "bushes" for me...

I only really remember making up names for things when I was playing Lesson 5, which confused me. I didn't know why the red button kept changing back and forth into a "purple circle" (ball) which would also appear on the tiles next to the red button. Soon I figured out that with good timing on the green button I could stop all those "pizzas" (fireballs) from blocking the red key.

Then I got to the last room, wandered into a trap, and told my dad "I think I got stuck because I got too close to the 'apples.' " On my next try I figured out that the "brown spot" was what got me stuck. On my try after that, I tried picking up an "apple" and got "Ooops! Don't touch the bombs!" "What's a bomb (which I pronounced as rhyming with "home")?" I asked my dad and he explained.

So yeah, Lesson 5 taught me an actual lesson-a new word!

That reminds me, Chip's Challenge and another similar puzzle game called Dweep Gold both had bombs in them, as well as tons of other games at the time when I was 6 or so. It was obvious upon animation that they exploded upon being lit with fire, and thus I learned a new word that I proceeded to use at school multiple times. Imagine my guilt upon getting back an assignment where we had to do simple math problems using pictures and I drew 3 "bombs" as my counting unit, with a note from the teacher saying "no more bombs please". Even more hilarious was that I actually spelled the word "bomb" right, because the class as a whole was infamous for forgetting silent letters at the end of words (not including me though). I then joked with my family about how this teacher would hate these games because of the presence of bombs.

my dad and I used to call walkers "batons", but as for all the other things I'm pretty sure we said them by their given names. Though not really as much anymore, because of listening to everyone else talk about them, I still say baton once and a while without even noticing, and it's pretty funny. If I remember right in one of my lp videos on youtube a while ago I said baton and walker back and forth throughout the video and never even noticed it until playing back the footage during editing...

My version says walkers. Maybe it was fixed?

walker - saturn

teeth - frog (in my mind I thought of them as wind-up toys)

glider - ghost or shark

paramecium - centipede

suction boots - roller skates

My sister once thought tanks were vacuum cleaners.

I looked in the Help file like J.B. so I knew all the names of the tiles :)

I didn't know what help files were at the time, or that they even existed.

I've tried to translate from Swedish.

Trap – "Getting-stuck-sandwich" (Swedish: "Fastnemacka")

Paramecium – Hedgehog

Flippers – Swimming shoes

Fireball – Fire star

Glider – Salted herring

Block – Stone

Thief – Spy

Teeth – Monster

I was never younger....

Didn't you hear about Chip's Challenge in your younger years, or did you only bump into the game like 5 years or less ago?

when I was younger I call blob : a green thing

I also call glider : plane , bug : ant , pinkball : ball , teeth : frog

For some reason, I called teeth "chatters" that's because I read in the help file "Teeth chase you, chattering all the way". I swore I read "chatters chase you, chattering al the way".

As for thiefs, I'd always call them spies. 

And "Splash" (the water tile where Chip drowns) was "drowned boy", because the tile looks like splashing water, but when I was little, I thought it was the sillouete of a drowned boy underwater.

And I never knew what the tank was, nore had a name for it, beacause to me, it never really looked like anything at all.

But I find hilarious (no offense) of the thiefs being called "policemen"

"Chip, your boots need to be secluded for crime scene evidence"

LOL

Edited by Hash1

I can remember blobs were "bushes" for me...

I just remembered that I called gliders "shields" as well, and I might still refer to them by this at times by mistake.

In terms of strange monster names, I always remember how my brother and I completely misinterpreted the title of Level 9. We called the fireballs "nuts" and the bugs "bolts".