Sign in to follow this  
AdrenalinDragon

Untimed Levels

So in Chip's Challenge, do the untimed levels give you more points than the regular timed ones?

For example, CCLP2 had no untimed levels I think. Does this mean the score would be lower or higher if there were untimed levels or not?

Well, CC1 had something like 27 untimed levels, and now nobody can get over 6 million. With none in CCLP2, it makes the scores a lot higher. I suspect the reason that CCLP3 has a higher score than LP2 is because it has more levels with a higher time limit.

So, untimed levels don't necessarily make the score lower for that set, but they can certainly help. The time limits on the levels is a bigger factor generally.

On Richard Field's site, player Bruce Hilman claims that an alternate version of CC1 modified only to include exits right next to Chip would yield a total possible score of 6,114,560.

On Richard Field's site, player Bruce Hilman claims that an alternate version of CC1 modified only to include exits right next to Chip would yield a total possible score of 6,114,560.

Interesting...

I suspect we need to add 290 points to that out of "short first second" concerns :P

@ Tom, making a level timed will always make it worth more points.

That's one reason why I made Level 69 of JoshL2 untimed. It's completely difficult. Also I end up getting an overall total of 6,100,000+ :P

You make no time bonus on an untimed level, so of course it's worth less. Hit the S key in TW and you'll see.

Untimed levels are useful if it's unreasonable to finish in 999 seconds. Also, if there is excessive randomness. Or if the level is really about solving a problem, not about being quick at it.

Or if the level is really about solving a problem, not about being quick at it.

I like to think that the best CC levels fit this description. ;)

(Oh, and if it's unreasonable to finish a level in 999 CC seconds...gaah! My attention span will not hold out in such cases.)

YAYAP was just an extremely long sokoban. It's untimed for Lynx mainly, considering that bust in MS that just speeds it up.

Or if the level is really about solving a problem, not about being quick at it.

This. Which most designers still haven't gotten (Y)

Have a monster :teeth:

This. Which most designers still haven't gotten (Y)

Have a monster :teeth:

Mr. Anderson does not agree. :lol:

In all fairness, there's nothing wrong with finishing a level quickly. There are speed runs for a reason you know.

There's also the peeps who have the strong will to solve the suggested puzzles at their own pace, if there are many. I don't really see the point of forcing someone to figure out Stress Fracture or Cloner's Maze in a finger snap, for instance.

There's also the peeps who have the strong will to solve the suggested puzzles at their own pace, if there are many. I don't really see the point of forcing someone to figure out Stress Fracture or Cloner's Maze in a finger snap, for instance.

Cloner's Maze is a perfect example of a good puzzling level that should of been untimed. I was close to running out of time figuring it out myself.

In hindsight, I do wish Cloner's Maze were untimed. Generally speaking, many of the levels I like to keep untimed are those that involve a lot of excessive lateral thinking. :)

I don't think anyone knew how to do that at the time until pieguy released "Avalanche" (the original version) in 2004.