• French
    • German
    • Spanish
    • Italian
    • Japanese
    • Chinese
    • Russian
    • Other

I don't even know what kind of derivative of the English I'm speaking. All I know is that there's a lot of stuff and things involved. Which is pretty great.

I don't even know what kind of derivative of the English I'm speaking. All I know is that there's a lot of stuff and things involved. Which is pretty great.

I didn't know English even had any derivatives or dialects. I understand that people from other countries have different accents and stuff, but very few different words and stuff... which is pretty great too.

Well, if you speak English you can go to any english speaking country and hold a conversation with people. However, it's not really that simple...

There's the variation of English spoken in the US and Canada which is most widespread, and then there's British English, and a hundred other minor variations depending on where you are. But at its core, it's still english and is readily recognizable as such.

Pittsburghese is a dialect all its own. Apart from the mispronounced words and obvious accent, there are dictionaries devoted to all the words and terms that make outsiders go "Huh?"

Ireland is talking about leaving the UK, and the guy I heard on the radio was discussing how the Irish language isn't English and making the point that the culture is very different.

Ireland is talking about leaving the UK, and the guy I heard on the radio was discussing how the Irish language isn't English and making the point that the culture is very different.

Umm... Ireland is it's own country already... The UK has England, Scotland, and Wales. Not Ireland.

But you gotta love the Irish :)

I learned a new language today at work when a customer came in and said this (I'm not kidding): "I'm looking for this thing. It's a thing you put into the thing on your gate, which is attached to another thing that goes into the thing. Do you know where I might find that?" :)

Perhaps he was using sign language to compensate? :P

Sounds like some sort of chained lock...

... This could actually make for a more interesting site game than "I Spy": You would be allowed to use only one specific noun (e.g. gate above) and the rest would have to be "thing"s and verbs.

- Madhav.

"I remember taking Spanish tests when I was in school. I would just take all the English words and add "o" to the end of 'em. I got an f-o." - Brian Regan

That's sort of what you do to speak german if you know swedish! Just add "ge-" to the beginning or switch the ending to "-lich"... A friend of mine (who is really bright), forgot to study for his german test, but for all the words he didn't know, he took the swedish word and germanifyed it. He got like 90%.

Anyway, I speak swedish and english, of course, learnt french for several years but haven't used it much recently, am currently learning german, and also speak swahili :)

Edit: Oh, and I also learned a bit of hindi a few years a go, before and during a trip to India. Sadly, I've forgotten most of it. I can still read the script, but won't understand what I'm reading.

And I believe it's Scotland that's talking about breaking out of the UK!

English, Grammar Nazi, French, Maltese and Jibberish are all on my list of languages. And I really need to learn some wacky new English words since I might be appearing on a TV show featuring linguistic and mathematic challenges.

I learned a new language today at work when a customer came in and said this (I'm not kidding): "I'm looking for this thing. It's a thing you put into the thing on your gate, which is attached to another thing that goes into the thing. Do you know where I might find that?" :)

Hey, it was me!

... This could actually make for a more interesting site game than "I Spy": You would be allowed to use only one specific noun (e.g. gate above) and the rest would have to be "thing"s and verbs.

That's definitely a really good idea.

Englsh, French, and ... some Chinese (I'm horrible at it, I'm even better at French than at Chinese (Except maybe listening))!!

Hello world!

Bonjour le monde!

你好世界!

:teeth: <-- dents

So Rock, in Quebec do they teach you French first, and then English, or both at the same time?

You can choose to go in French school (standard) or English school if you're born from English parents. Like 95% of the population has French as primary language, most everything is in French. We start secondary language English classes around Grade 2, IIRC. (Which I didn't really need, yay video games!)

You learned English from video games, Rock? Awesome. :)

Edit: Oh wait...LPing...right!

In the first place, I learned my English by playing video games, mainly. LPing was and is a mean to improve my speaking, which proves to work very well.

I speak Indonesian. I know some English. And a little Sundanese and Arabic.

Darn, no one mentioned Brazilian Portuguese! And it's not even in the poll list.  :(   Eu falo português quasi todos os dias.

Madhav, ha ha ha ha ha! You're so right that programming languages should have been included.

And Dave and Ben, I'm such a grammar nazi that my friends have told me if an error exists within a one-mile radius of me, I'll feel it.

Wait! I feel one now on a menu at a downtown restaurant! Ow, that hurts.