Sign in to follow this  
lythos

How can I start playing this game?

Hello everybody I'm new, I hope this is the right place to write.

I saw a video on youtube of this game (

) and I have no idea how can i start playing it. 

Is it free? I have to buy it? i saw that there is a CC1 and CC2 on steam but they don't seem like this of the video.

Thank you very much for the help 

The game there is Tile World, which is a free emulation of the Windows and Atari Lynx versions of Chip's Challenge. It was designed primarily as a replacement for the Windows version of the game, which could not be purchased legally until Chip's Challenge was released on Steam last year. Most people on this forum still prefer to play Tile World rather than the Steam version of CC1.

You can download it here: http://www.pillowpc2001.net/TW2/download.html

• Upvote 1

The game there is Tile World, which is a free emulation of the Windows and Atari Lynx versions of Chip's Challenge. It was designed primarily as a replacement for the Windows version of the game, which could not be purchased legally until Chip's Challenge was released on Steam last year. Most people on this forum still prefer to play Tile World rather than the Steam version of CC1.

You can download it here: http://www.pillowpc2001.net/TW2/download.html

Ty very much for the help! I started playing this game and it's a lot of fun! 

I have two more questions.. what are the difference between MS and lynx? lynx seem more modern but everybody I saw they play MS (i think).

Can I make my own level? there is like a level editor? :D

I have two more questions.. what are the difference between MS and lynx? lynx seem more modern but everybody I saw they play MS (i think).

Can I make my own level? there is like a level editor? :D

All differences between the MS and Lynx rulesets can be found here.

For a level editor, the most commonly used one (to my knowledge) is CCEdit 2.0, which can be downloaded here. You can also download Chip's Challenge Level Designer here, which is another fairly common level editor. I personally prefer CCEdit 2.0, since it allows you to properly test your levels through Tile World.

Also, almost everything Chip's Challenge related can be viewed here, which includes a bunch of links to other editors and many custom levels made by various designers over the years.

By the way, welcome! Hope you enjoy the game! :)

• Upvote 1

All differences between the MS and Lynx rulesets can be found here.

There are a lot more differences than what's listed there, but those are the main ones.

lynx seem more modern but everybody I saw they play MS (i think).

Most people prefer MS, since that's the one most people started with. However, the Lynx version is actually older (1989; 1992 for MS). The reason it seems more advanced is because it was designed for a gaming system, whereas the other one is a port to a more general-purpose OS. Hardware had much greater limitations then.

• Upvote 1

I started creating some maps for CC1 and I started understanding more things about this game :D but I have other questions..

Will everybody still play CC1 and not CC2? CC2 has more things.. and I think it can be a lot of fun too. Can somebody explain me why everybody still play only CC1?

What about Chuck's challenge 3d? It's new but nobody play it too.. It sounds strange to me

People still play both CC1 and CC2- both games are in a bit of a lull at the moment.

CC1 has the advantage of a very refined level editor being out and thousands of levels, so steps towards CCLP4 were being made before the announcement that CC2 was going to be released. With CCLP4 voting being ongoing, most people are spending their CC time on the voting packs, which can be found at pieguy's site.

CC2's editor is somewhat awkward to use and the sets released only go so far- there's just not a lot to do yet without really working past the editor. That being said, The Architect is working on a CC1/CC2 unified editor that should alleviate a lot of these issues and hopefully revitalize CC2. Not everybody has CC2 as well, while with Tile World everyone can easily have CC1.

CC3D is a few years old and honestly plagued with small issues. The editor is prone to glitching out one of your selections, no copy/paste in the editor, no grouping of user levels, very hard to navigate user levels, inconsistent timer, new versions rendering the leaderboards borderline useless... it's a fun game to play through but in the current state there's not really anything worth sticking around for.

And hey, that's my video in the first post! I didn't think anyone who wasn't already from here would bother watching any of those!

• Upvote 1

In addition to what was said above, CC1 is personally more enjoyable in terms of both playing through and designing levels for. The editor for CC2 really makes it difficult for a lot of us to design levels for and the main CC2 game isn't as fun as it could have been.

• Upvote 1

Also, CC2 is designed specifically for Microsoft Windows, while the Tile World version of CC1 is designed to be cross-platform, allowing people on other OS's to play it as well. That probably contributes to its popularity.

• Upvote 3

I don't find the CC2 editor *that* clunky. Once I got used to it making levels is not that hard at all. I made a ~150 level pack and it was not frustrating to do (to speak of). I encourage anyone to play and make levels! it's a lot of fun.

Chuck's Challenge IMO is more of a different game than a sequel to CC1. I personally wouldn't say it's better or worse, just different.

I wish there was more interest in the game as well. It may get revitalized, you never know.

My biggest problem is I can only see a 10x10 area at a time if I want to be able to select anything with any degree of accuracy. 2x doesn't fit on my monitor but shows something like 28x28, and that would go a long way towards usability for me.

There are other minor annoyances I have with the editor, but that's the big one. I can get past the rest, but making even one expansive level (25x25, still smaller than CC1 levels!) was arduous.

• Upvote 2

My biggest problem is I can only see a 10x10 area at a time if I want to be able to select anything with any degree of accuracy. 2x doesn't fit on my monitor but shows something like 28x28, and that would go a long way towards usability for me.

There are other minor annoyances I have with the editor, but that's the big one. I can get past the rest, but making even one expansive level (25x25, still smaller than CC1 levels!) was arduous.

Pretty much all of this for me as well. On top of that, the editor isn't exactly efficient and has a number of issues in terms of glitching - such as crashing randomly, black spots can sometimes cover the entire editing area if a window is opened above the program, etc. There's even a few glitch tiles that can be clicked on, which I don't think should be a thing at all! Not to mention the way of assembling a level set is pretty unnecessarily tedious.

I know someone made a program that somewhat fixes that issue but I still feel the editor is very lackluster and annoying to use. It's been clear that majority of others feel the same way about it. I would rather hold off on the game and designing levels until that new editor is finished.

I would rather hold off on the game and designing levels until that new editor is finished.

It's coming. :)

And I pretty much agree with everything said above concerning CC2's built-in editor. The new editor should hopefully do away with all of those issues.

• Upvote 1

There's an option to force 2x, which is what i use. My screen is slightly too short, resulting in the bottom scroll bar being out of reach, but i can get around that with my computer's multi-touch capabilities. (The arrow keys work, too.)

I've encountered the black spots issue too. Entering and exiting playtest gets rid of most of it for me, but i don't know how effective that is on 1x.

There's even a few glitch tiles that can be clicked on, which I don't think should be a thing at all!

I don't see why that would be a reason for you to not use the editor. It's not like they get in the way when you're trying to click something else.

Something that does bother me that hasn't been mentioned here is that selecting a tile and moving the mouse to the editing window to place it sometimes results in a click-and-drag. The damage is usually fixable (still annoying though), but sometimes it isn't because the undo button can glitch and stop working for reasons unknown to me, and that has resulted in loss of progress on at least one occasion.

I don't see why that would be a reason for you to not use the editor. It's not like they get in the way when you're trying to click something else.

I never said it was? My reasons for not using it have already been explained and that was not one of them. I was merely stating that is one of many issues with the editor and that I don't like the fact it exists.

what glitch tiles? :blink:

btw, I wonder if anyone is aware of using the < > keys to rotate tiles or letter keys to change the letter tiles. I figured this out on my own, only after a long time. <_< Some better documentation would be nice.

Also I have to say the program someone made to put together a levelpack-- I can't get it to work at all, either I don't understand something or it's broken because when using it, it seemed to me to save no time or work than doing it the original way. :huh:

• Upvote 2

btw, I wonder if anyone is aware of using the < > keys to rotate tiles or letter keys to change the letter tiles. I figured this out on my own, only after a long time. <_< Some better documentation would be nice.

I was aware of the rotate function (forget how I found it). Didn't know about using the letter keys; that's quite a time-saver!  :D

what glitch tiles? :blink:

Also I have to say the program someone made to put together a levelpack-- I can't get it to work at all, either I don't understand something or it's broken because when using it, it seemed to me to save no time or work than doing it the original way. :huh:

I fixed lots of issues with my c2g maker. You can find it here as a download link:

http://cc2help.wikia.com/wiki/Chips_Challenge_2_Level_Set_Maker

I hope it is easier for you now.

As for the glitch tiles, here is my documentation on them:

http://cc2help.wikia.com/wiki/Random_Tile