Sign in to follow this  
andyrkki

UPDATED: "Native" MSCC on 64-bit Windows

I can't be the only one who's literally wanted 16-bit support in 64-bit Windows for years, so that the original Microsoft version of the game could be run without resorting to virtual machines or even more ridiculous solutions. After all this time, someone finally made one, and I can confirm it works for MSCC:

https://virtuallyfun.com/wordpress/category/winevdm/

Also, for the complete nostalgic experience, here's how to get the help file working on Windows 10:

http://www.tonmann.com/2016/06/getting-winhlp32-work-on-windows-10/

Note that the latest version of WineVDM includes - among numerous other bug and annoyance fixes (no more required command prompt in the background!) - a WinHlp32 emulator as well, though there doesn't seem to be any way to integrate it into the system such that the menu options in MSCC work.

• Upvote 1

Cool, I should check these out. I've only had a 64-bit computer for a little over a year, but there are plenty of old games besides MSCC that I would like to be able to play (without purchasing on GOG, since I already own copies of them).

7 minutes ago, Tomsbananacakes said:

Hmph, can't seem to get it to work for me. I'm not sure exactly how you set it up in which it can run MSCC.

You should have downloaded the binary build at the bottom of the linked post... it doesn't need any "setup" to run MSCC, or anything else for that matter. You can unpack it and use it as-is if you want.

But the readme file tells you how to make it so that 16-bit executables just work by clicking on them like any other program. After you unpack it, you edit the "install.reg" file - there are two spots where you need to put the path you unpacked the files to, using double backslashes like the example. After that you simply run the edited .reg file to import the changes into the system registry.

This is really cool :) The Skelzie and Graduation bolds should be much easier to achieve now :)

I probably won't be using it, though, since I use Linux which runs MSCC fine (even 64-bit distros ;) )

It'd be nice if there was an actual helpful guide on how to make this work because I fiddled with this for hours last night and got nothing to work.

8 minutes ago, Flareon350 said:

It'd be nice if there was an actual helpful guide on how to make this work because I fiddled with this for hours last night and got nothing to work.

I'm just not really sure how to simplify it even more than I already did in my previous post here. Which part are you having trouble with exactly?

Everything really, there isn't really a "first step" that's explained anywhere aside from downloading the file itself. I'm not much of an expert with this sort of stuff if it's not obvious so just some guidance would be appreciated.

37 minutes ago, Flareon350 said:

Everything really, there isn't really a "first step" that's explained anywhere aside from downloading the file itself. I'm not much of an expert with this sort of stuff if it's not obvious so just some guidance would be appreciated.

1. Download the binary from that post (the link is at the bottom). Make sure you don't accidentally get the source code instead somehow.
  2. Unpack the archive into a folder of your choice. There is no installer, so this is where it will run from. Copy-and-paste this exact path.
  3. Open the file "install.reg" with a text editor (right-click -> Edit usually works) and replace the two obvious spots with the path you just copied. The only tricky part is that all backslashes in the path have to be doubled (just like in the examples you're overwriting), or it won't work.
  4. Open "install.reg" normally. Make sure it tells you the data actually got imported into the registry.

From now on, 16-bit programs such as CHIPS.EXE should "just work", assuming you already have all the files they originally came with. (You'll notice a command prompt opening in the background - this is normal. You can minimize it, but if you close it the 16-bit program will close too.) Enjoy MSCC!

7 hours ago, andyrkki said:
  1. Download the binary from that post (the link is at the bottom). Make sure you don't accidentally get the source code instead somehow.
  2. Unpack the archive into a folder of your choice. There is no installer, so this is where it will run from. Copy-and-paste this exact path.
  3. Open the file "install.reg" with a text editor (right-click -> Edit usually works) and replace the two obvious spots with the path you just copied. The only tricky part is that all backslashes in the path have to be doubled (just like in the examples you're overwriting), or it won't work.
  4. Open "install.reg" normally. Make sure it tells you the data actually got imported into the registry.

From now on, 16-bit programs such as CHIPS.EXE should "just work", assuming you already have all the files they originally came with. (You'll notice a command prompt opening in the background - this is normal. You can minimize it, but if you close it the 16-bit program will close too.) Enjoy MSCC!

I did all those steps bit by bit and it still does not work for me. This is very frustrating I really don't know what I'm doing wrong here.

Is the "obvious spots" to paste the path the MappedExeName? Because that's where I pasted them.

1 hour ago, Flareon350 said:

I did all those steps bit by bit and it still does not work for me. This is very frustrating I really don't know what I'm doing wrong here.

Is the "obvious spots" to paste the path the MappedExeName? Because that's where I pasted them.

Easiest way to get the path right: look at where the file "otvdm.exe" ended up after you extracted everything.

So, if "otvdm.exe" sits under "C:\WineVDM" for example, both lines should read like this exactly:

"MappedExeName"="C:\\WineVDM\\otvdm.exe"

Though I find it strange that you just say it doesn't work, instead of posting the error message (it's virtually guaranteed there is one). Please do so if you still have problems after this.

Okay that's what I had wrong! I didn't realize otvdm.exe was part of the path name. It works now! :)

Thank you for your help, it's very appreciated.

Wow it works... This is awesome! I wonder how long this has been around... I had search for something like this multiple times I thought a while ago, so I wonder if this is relatively new... thanks Andrew! I will for sure have to add this to my list of ways to play CC on 64-bit machines, definitely near the top of the list.:D

edit - OK I found a few quirks so far... the High Scores window only shows you level 1, and it doesn't remember which level you left off at. :(

Edited by pillowpc2001

Wouldn't it just be easier to use a virtual machine?

I use and would recommend Oracle VM

Exactly. I've been reluctant to try setting up a VM, but I'm definitely going to give this a shot, for several of my favorite 16-bit games, once I have some time.

As it seems to be based on Wine, it probably also consumes far fewer resources than a VM.

It really works on my 64-bit computer! One question though, is there a way to turn the music on? Do I have to copy the audio files somewhere? I can't seem to get it working although I've already set it on in Options menu.

Anyway, this is definitely an awesome program you found there, thank you very much for sharing!

On 9/19/2018 at 11:10 AM, Reynaldi said:

One question though, is there a way to turn the music on? Do I have to copy the audio files somewhere?

All of the files that come with MSCC should be in a single folder (i.e. the same one CHIPS.EXE is in).

12 minutes ago, andyrkki said:

All of the files that come with MSCC should be in a single folder (i.e. the same one CHIPS.EXE is in).

All audio files are already in the same folder as CHIPS.EXE, but for some reason no sound is coming out. Moreover, if I enable "Background Music", it will display the warning message of "None of the MIDI files specified in entpack.ini were found".

15 minutes ago, Reynaldi said:

All audio files are already in the same folder as CHIPS.EXE, but for some reason no sound is coming out. Moreover, if I enable "Background Music", it will display the warning message of "None of the MIDI files specified in entpack.ini were found".

Did you use the setup method from this topic, so that you simply click on CHIPS.EXE and it runs without you doing anything else?

Also, are you using the original files that come with MSCC, with the original filenames (and modification dates from the early 90s)?

14 hours ago, andyrkki said:

Did you use the setup method from this topic, so that you simply click on CHIPS.EXE and it runs without you doing anything else?

Also, are you using the original files that come with MSCC, with the original filenames (and modification dates from the early 90s)?

Hm, I believe that's the problem - I didn't install the .reg file. I just extract the program and run the otvdm.exe via Command Prompt (as Administrator).

Also, yeah, audio files are having the same name. I already tested this on DOSBox.

The "UPDATED" in the topic title refers to a much bigger update than what the first post might previously have suggested. It's now been... updated.

I can confirm that the latest update fixes the score glitches from before.  I haven't really gotten to play too much though this way - anyone notice any gameplay glitches?