Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
andyrkki

Other puzzle game recommendations

Recommended Posts

The reason Chip's Challenge stands out to me personally compared to other games, as I'm sure is the case for many others as well, is the relative uniqueness of the engine, and of course the replay value. Unless it's specifically made to be a CC clone, you won't find anything quite like it, and even the same levels can be played and/or optimized over and over again.

Of all the puzzle games I've ever come across, the only other one that fits the bill is Reflexion (and its sequel). It's so unique that its gameplay has been analyzed in a university paper! Just a shame that it doesn't even have an external data file to modify let alone an actual level editor... anyhow, here's a link to both versions:

https://archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A"Juho+Pohjonen"

Feel free to share your own recommendations in this topic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gavin said:

Try this block-pushing game I made in flash

http://www.fastswf.com/2Ra-gvs

You should be aware that most people don't have Flash in their browser anymore, and basically nobody will have it in just a couple of years. I suggest remaking any Flash games in something that is widely supported, preferably HTML5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I learned flash+actionscript in a uni module back in 2013 and made that game around that time, even back then I was surprised they were teaching it.

I would like to recreate it in Java as a mobile app

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wondering: anyone here tried out the game I mentioned in the first post?

I'd be very curious to hear what experienced CC players think of it in particular, and if it matches my view that it's just about the only puzzle game with fundamentally different gameplay from CC that has anywhere near the potential it did back in the day... or would if it had a level editor, that is.

Also, a different version of the game was later released. Gameplay is much worse, but it has great graphics and amazing music:
https://web.archive.org/web/20131104115142/apps.yoyogames.com/reflexions/play
http://assets.yoyogames.com/apps/reflexions/1.0.1/html5game-1.0.1/mMusic.mp3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I checked out Reflexion. It's interesting how many of the levels have a special mechanism unique to that level, like disappearing walls or a countdown. A level editor would definitely be nice, but you couldn't make your own special mechanisms like that with just an editor.

It reminds me a little of MarbleZone, which you can dig up the demo version of on archive.org: https://web.archive.org/web/20011201190605/http://www.dejobaan.com:80/marblezone/index.htm. It does come with an editor; I spent hours making my own levels on both it and Chip's Challenge as a kid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Adventures of Lolo series and it's japanese version Eggerland are similar to Chip's Challenge in the way that you have to complete levels by collecting stuff, being able to use things, and avoiding obstacles. They're old Nintendo games that are also about thinking, created by HAL labs.

I reccomend them.

Edited by Hash1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember playing Reflexion back when it was released in the much earlier-days of GameMaker. Fun game but gets tricky very quickly, for a GameMaker game it has a very polished and professional feel to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/25/2018 at 3:34 PM, Earthling said:

It reminds me a little of MarbleZone, which you can dig up the demo version of on archive.org: https://web.archive.org/web/20011201190605/http://www.dejobaan.com:80/marblezone/index.htm. It does come with an editor; I spent hours making my own levels on both it and Chip's Challenge as a kid.

MarbleZone is quite interesting, actually - thanks for the recommendation! But you conveniently left out the part about the demo version not allowing you to play any custom levels, to say nothing of most of the levels included with the game. :P

As far as I'm aware, it is completely impossible to buy it now (even used like CC, since I'm pretty sure it was only ever sold online), so it's basically the ultimate form of abandonware. As such, I'll share this info: if you open up the main executable in a hex editor and change just one byte at a certain offset, the game will let you access all registered features without entering a key. See my signature for details. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/25/2018 at 3:34 PM, Earthling said:

I checked out Reflexion. It's interesting how many of the levels have a special mechanism unique to that level, like disappearing walls or a countdown. A level editor would definitely be nice, but you couldn't make your own special mechanisms like that with just an editor.

Most of the special mechanisms aren't really that unique, and could be included as tiles in a hypothetical editor. Though there are a few levels with AI!

On 1/21/2019 at 12:11 PM, Gavin said:

I remember playing Reflexion back when it was released in the much earlier-days of GameMaker. Fun game but gets tricky very quickly, for a GameMaker game it has a very polished and professional feel to it.

Did either of you try the sequel, by the way? It's even more polished and professional, to the point that it could well be a modern commercial game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2019 at 1:55 PM, andyrkki said:

As far as I'm aware, it is completely impossible to buy it now (even used like CC, since I'm pretty sure it was only ever sold online), so it's basically the ultimate form of abandonware. As such, I'll share this info: if you open up the main executable in a hex editor and change just one byte at a certain offset, the game will let you access all registered features without entering a key. See my signature for details. ;)

Well that's neat. :)

4 hours ago, andyrkki said:

Did either of you try the sequel, by the way? It's even more polished and professional, to the point that it could well be a modern commercial game.

Yeah; I love the graphics in that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2019 at 11:12 AM, Hash1 said:

The Adventures of Lolo series and it's japanese version Eggerland are similar to Chip's Challenge in the way that you have to complete levels by collecting stuff, being able to use things, and avoiding obstacles. They're old Nintendo games that are also about thinking, created by HAL labs.

I reccomend them.

I remember that game being mentioned on this CC site, along with Escape: https://web.archive.org/web/20141018142355/http://theodor.lauppert.ws/games/chip.htm

20 hours ago, Motekopasznyaku said:

Corrypt is a favorite of mine.  It's very similar to Chips Challenge, being top-down tile based, focusing on stuff like puzzles with pushing blocks, but it has it's own neat twist as well that really gets interesting about halfway through.

https://smestorp.itch.io/corrypt

But the thing about most of these games (also including MarbleZone, and other games like the suspiciously MSCC-looking LaserTank) is that they are generally static puzzles.

CC has plenty of levels that don't require extreme monster dodging, but the ones that do break up the flow of the sokobans and other somewhat generic puzzle levels, no matter how creative they may be individually. It's one of the things that makes the game relatively unique. It's also a big part of why I'm so drawn to Reflexion: it has a very similar static/dynamic ratio, so to speak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, andyrkki said:

But the thing about most of these games (also including MarbleZone, and other games like the suspiciously MSCC-looking LaserTank) is that they are generally static puzzles.

CC has plenty of levels that don't require extreme monster dodging, but the ones that do break up the flow of the sokobans and other somewhat generic puzzle levels, no matter how creative they may be individually. It's one of the things that makes the game relatively unique. It's also a big part of why I'm so drawn to Reflexion: it has a very similar static/dynamic ratio, so to speak.

Corrypt doesn't exactly have "levels," it's more of an open-world sort of thing.  And honestly, I feel like the "sokobans & generic puzzle" parts only actually make up a relatively small part of the experience or so, where the game really breaks out & opens up into something different & unique after the checkpoint.  I mean, if you're looking for something that has a large variety of both puzzle & action levels, then maybe Corrypt isn't quite what you're looking for, but I don't feel it's fair to compare it to games that only have sokoban puzzle levels either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...