Sign in to follow this  
AdrenalinDragon

CCX Files

I was just wondering. Has anyone tried changing the default CCX file of CCLP3 for their own levelsets? I've kind of had some luck getting it to work for TomP4 but it's a bit tough trying to make sure none of the code messes up. It's pretty good and I think there should be a program to make CCX files much easier. :)

I actually need to learn how to make a CCX file actually. I don't even have the one that came with CCLP3 anymore. I don't know what happened to it. Though I do have my own little storyline for the last 15 levels of JoshL2, so a CCX file for it would be great!

Dave has one (or used to have one) for his set, geodave3. He didn't have a storyline, so he just wrote brief descriptions of what the levels were about before the player enters it. I plan on making one for TS0, but with behind-the-scenes info and commentary and whatnot (essentially what the "notes" section is on pieguy's site).

Info about levels and behind-the-scenes info about where the idea of the level came from actually sounds interesting to me also....can some post a tutorial on how to make a CCX file??

I still have a geodave3.ccx file, if you're interested. It's pretty simple, really. Just look at how the CCLP3.ccx file is written -- the codes are basically xml codes, although the fact that the name of the level is a comment BEFORE the level tag threw me at first.

I still have a geodave3.ccx file, if you're interested. It's pretty simple, really. Just look at how the CCLP3.ccx file is written -- the codes are basically xml codes, although the fact that the name of the level is a comment BEFORE the level tag threw me at first.

Well I don't have the CCLP3.ccx file anymore. It's not on my computer for some reason.

A CCX file editing tool sounds like it would be a great addition to a Chip's Controls v5.0... :D

Yeah, but make sure you can change the levelset description, because currently if you change if from anything other than "Chip's Challenge Level Pack 3", it don't work.

A CCX file editing tool sounds like it would be a great addition to a Chip's Controls v5.0... :D

Wow, I completely forgot that I had posted this...but 9 months later, this is officially in progress:

ccxeditor.png

(Note that this is just a prototype I threw together today; nothing is actually functional yet except the Exit menu option. :D)

• Upvote 2

(Y)

A couple of quick notes regarding the format:-

• Author and ruleset information can be specified on the levelset as a whole and/or overridden for individual levels. There is also a flag for pedantic compatibility.
  • Text properties can be also be specified for the entire file and/or overridden for individual pages.
  • The level name is just a comment for human readability of the .ccx file and is not meant to be used. Ideally, your program would lookup the level name from the .dat/.ccl file.

- Madhav.

(Y)

A couple of quick notes regarding the format:-

• Author and ruleset information can be specified on the levelset as a whole and/or overridden for individual levels. There is also a flag for pedantic compatibility.
  • Text properties can be also be specified for the entire file and/or overridden for individual pages.

Thanks for the info - I assume the pedantic flag is pedantic=yes?

• The level name is just a comment for human readability of the .ccx file and is not meant to be used. Ideally, your program would lookup the level name from the .dat/.ccl file.

Unfortunately, my programming knowledge doesn't include reading .dat files, but that probably would be quite a helpful feature... I'll either try to figure it out or maybe have a feature for importing a level list generated by cclpinfo (a little inconvenient, but better than having to type them all in manually...).

BTW - this semester has been pretty hectic so far, so right now I'm thinking this will probably only be released near the end of December... Plus it could depend on how long my other planned Chip's Controls modifications take, which I hope to get added in this same release... But if the others take too long, I could always release a standalone version of the CCX editor before releasing the Chip's Controls update...

• Upvote 1

Wow, I completely forgot that I had posted this...but 9 months later, this is officially in progress:

ccxeditor.png

(Note that this is just a prototype I threw together today; nothing is actually functional yet except the Exit menu option. :D)

Looking good! Maybe a preview button could be added to link with Tile World 2, so that you can see if all the text/pictures appeared properly.