Nickcc

Chucks Challenge

Anyone else started playing the next chips challenge game chucks challenge. I had not played chips challenge for a while but then I hear chuck is making a game for the iPad. I check it out and it is amazing. You should all try it. It is missing a few tiles though such as thief.

It's a great game, though having a gameplay window that's not square is a little strange. :)

What's really sad is that I spent the night before CCLP3's release playing this game. Somehow, I felt so unfaithful.

I probably could've found the bust in "Lead Us Not into Temptation." :P

I'm definitely looking forward to the PC version of Chuck's Challenge, not because of the 3-D, but because I want to control my character with the arrow keys, like I grew up doing in my childhood. I am less proficient with the touch screen controls in this Chip's Challenge-ish game for the same reason I'm less proficient at controlling platform games with arrow keys instead of a controller; I grew up controlling Mario with my thumbs. Also, the level editor can be a pain when you have to use two fingers to scroll the screen; I often accidentally paint the blocks with my first finger. :(

Can we talk about our custom levels here? I made a level today called Kinda Sorta Quick (a reference to how long a veteran will take to complete it and to how fast you have to be to execute the solution): http://www.chuckscha...php?levelId=893

By the way, I like this week's level, Problematic by jblewis. That screen name sounds familiar somehow. . .

Nice level, Grant! And yes, I tried to port a few of my levels to Chuck's Challenge. The problem with "Problem Solver" was that the "glider" monster in Chuck's Challenge can't destroy bombs, so I had to opt for a paramecium flicking a tank button repeatedly.

Nice level, Grant! And yes, I tried to port a few of my levels to Chuck's Challenge. The problem with "Problem Solver" was that the "glider" monster in Chuck's Challenge can't destroy bombs, so I had to opt for a paramecium flicking a tank button repeatedly.

Heh – nice workaround. Too bad both of my CCLP3 levels use the thief tile, which has no equivalent in Chuck's Challenge. Porting Mouth-Watering would require an extreme makeover, and I'm not sure if there's any real way to recreate the top section of Block Head. I could probably find some other old levels to port, though. . .

Speaking of levels, I have a new one available, titled Wait For It. Hopefully it is free of busts and other bad things.

I gave some feedback about the thief tile to Chuck, and he said that it may be considered for the future. :)

Gyah! One of my favorite levels in my original GRANTF.dat set, MAZE OF THE FIREBALL, can't be transferred (unless there's some creative possibility I'm missing). The original level involves stepping on the correct patches of dirt to carve out a path for a fireball. It must hit two red buttons (which are surrounded by fire) exactly once each along the way. Each red button controls a block clone machine; the first press of the button clears a bomb out of the way of the fireball in the home stretch, while the second press blocks the passage. If the fireball reaches the end of the track, it hits a green button that allows Chip to exit.

Unfortunately, fireballs do not interact with floor buttons here, and I can't yet figure out anything that a fireball could interact with where a second interaction would cause a new harmful effect. Maybe I should focus on making the Lynx-compatible version before I stress out over the Woop-compatible version. . . :)

One of the more unfortunate omissions from Chuck's Challenge is the trap. The "colored barriers" are okay, but sadly, this means the loss of Cloner's Maze-type puzzles...

Alright, I gave it a shot, and I uploaded one of my levels to Chuck's Challenge.

Level ID is 895.

It's one of my more favorite levels that I've made :)

Alright, I gave it a shot, and I uploaded one of my levels to Chuck's Challenge.

Level ID is 895.

It's one of my more favorite levels that I've made :)

One thing I discovered by accident while making my own levels is that when Woop steps onto a force floor, he's allowed to make a voluntary move immediately, unlike Chip. This means it takes two spaces of force floor, and not one, to create a one-way. In particular, the force-floor-proof item can be skipped.

Chipsters who are trying to create bust-free Chuck's Challenge levels, beware!

This is one of my least favorite parts of the game. Another odd behavior is that when I used the "pink ball" monster (I forget the name) to press a clone button every other move, the cloner spat out monsters rather arbitrarily.

One thing I discovered by accident while making my own levels is that when Woop steps onto a force floor, he's allowed to make a voluntary move immediately, unlike Chip. This means it takes two spaces of force floor, and not one, to create a one-way. In particular, the force-floor-proof item can be skipped.

Chipsters who are trying to create bust-free Chuck's Challenge levels, beware!

Oh really? I didn't know that, even when testing levels I made earlier last year :/

I guess I need to update it then or something... If I can.

Anybody here have any clue how the camera-panning gesture (alluded to in A5) actually works? On the iPad, if I slide my fingers in the right way, such that one goes off the top edge of the screen, and then lift the other finger off, I can then use a single finger to scroll around the map with complete freedom (until I hit the screen with two fingers again). If I fail at performing this complicated gesture, camera mode only lasts as long as I have two fingers on the screen, which means I don't have the absolute complete freedom that the videos here seem to be advertising. I can't achieve anything remotely similar on the iPhone, either. >.<

I've always just used two fingers. Sadly, I have only an iPhone, so I have to press the screen multiple times to move around a large map.