Sign in to follow this  
BitBuster

The greatness of Star Wars

What say ye fellow Chipsters? Ok, you can pick apart Lucas's post-1981 work and I'd be the first to concede that both Star Wars and Indiana Jones got progressively worse from there, but dang...the first two SW movies are still brilliant and entertaining. Right? Or am I off my rocker here?

• Upvote 1

Nothing will top the original Star Wars movies! I recently got my mum the Star Wars saga on Blu-Ray and we managed to watch all 6 movies in one week. It was fun. :)

When I was 16 I watched the original trilogy in one sitting. That was intense; I know true SW fanboys will watch the entire saga in one sitting, but stamina problems aside, I don't think I could ever force myself to sit through Ep. II again. ;)

When I was 16 I watched the original trilogy in one sitting. That was intense; I know true SW fanboys will watch the entire saga in one sitting, but stamina problems aside, I don't think I could ever force myself to sit through Ep. II again. ;)

The prequels in Star Wars are without a doubt worse for me. However, I think Revenge Of The Sith was pretty good, but still no match for A New Hope or Empire Strikes Back.

I did like The Phantom Menace (though, admittedly, it's filled with crap); actually, I prefer it to Return Of The Jedi. Revenge Of The Sith wasn't *terrible*, but I had a lot of issues with it.

I did like The Phantom Menace (though, admittedly, it's filled with crap); actually, I prefer it to Return Of The Jedi. Revenge Of The Sith wasn't *terrible*, but I had a lot of issues with it.

I hate The Phantom Menace for one reason... Jar Jar Binks! %28N%29.gif

Yeah, Jar-Jar is terrible...all the same, the film's generally entertaining to watch (yay for Liam Neeson!)...unlike AOTC or the endless Endor scenes in ROTJ.

Jar-Jar > Ewoks.

I think The Phantom Menace had problems that reached far beyond Jar Jar. :P

Yeah, I didn't like the Anakin kid in there either. I liked the Pod Racing sequence though.

Yeah, I didn't like the Anakin kid in there either. I liked the Pod Racing sequence though.

It wasn't just Anakin either...it was the fact that the fun, exciting story of the original trilogy was traded in for an overly political story whose opening crawl sounded like it came out of a history textbook.

I think The Phantom Menace had problems that reached far beyond Jar Jar. :P

Agreed. But it also had virtues that reached far beyond the pod racing sequence.

It wasn't just Anakin either...it was the fact that the fun, exciting story of the original trilogy was traded in for an overly political story whose opening crawl sounded like it came out of a history textbook.

...it's more George Lucas's inability to write convincing political drama that sunk the story, rather than some inherent problem in marrying politics to Star Wars.

Go to Youtube and watch the trailer for Ep. 1 again. Doesn't it seem like it could be the best film of them all? Seriously. When you watch it, try to forget what actually happened. Let your imagination fill in the blanks. It seems utterly incredible.

(Of course, then you go to see the actual film, and it's filled with ROTJ-like cartoonish "fights," midichlorians, and a pompous Jedi council that makes you root for the Sith.)

Considering that the trailer has Jar Jar in it, I don't know...:) But you're right.

...well, in the trailer, we don't see any of Jar-Jar's annoying antics. If you'd never seen TPM you'd barely notice him at all, and if you did, you'd assume that he was a C-3PO-like figure: a bit annoying, perhaps, but also entertaining and central to the story.

Now here's a question: is it possible to create a trailer for Return Of The Jedi that's as impressive as the TPM trailer?

...well, in the trailer, we don't see any of Jar-Jar's annoying antics. If you'd never seen TPM you'd barely notice him at all, and if you did, you'd assume that he was a C-3PO-like figure: a bit annoying, perhaps, but also entertaining and central to the story.

Now here's a question: is it possible to create a trailer for Return Of The Jedi that's as impressive as the TPM trailer?

Trailers aren't everything though. Avatar's trailer looked amazing, but the movie wasn't that good. Weirdly enough, the sequels looked better than the prequels on Blu-Ray. :unsure:

I think it'll almost always be possible to create amazing-looking trailers, but amazing movies are a completely different story.

Am I the only one here who doesn't like any of the movies? Alright, A New Hope was fun, but the rest of them were just not intresting to me.

Am I the only one here who doesn't like any of the movies? Alright, A New Hope was fun, but the rest of them were just not intresting to me.

Yeah. I don't know anyone who doesn't like Episodes 4, 5 and 6. I hope they re-release those 3 to the cinema. :)

They're rereleasing each of the movies in 3-D in order, so we can at least say they're saving the best for last. :)

They're rereleasing each of the movies in 3-D in order, so we can at least say they're saving the best for last. :)

Yeah, but nobody is going to see The Phantom Menace. Why do you do this to us, Mr. Lucas? :(

Yeah, Lucas...when are you going to stop milking these movies for all they're wor - OH WHO CARES I'M SO THERE!!!

...assuming I have enough $$$ to go to the movies (and assuming I can find a 3-d theatre around here), I'd go to see TPM.

Does anyone know if he's changing the movies again, or is the 3-d addition the only alteration?