Sign in to follow this  
BitBuster

...so, what do you think about tomorrow's Wikipedia/Reddit blackout?

Personally, I'm disappointed that more websites aren't doing this. A 24-hour Facebook blackout would galvanize even the most politically apathetic Internet user.

(Maybe this isn't such a big issue at this forum since only a few of us are from the States...)

I don't even have a Facebook account. Frankly, I'm almost antagonistic towards Facebook, and were it to shut down, I'd take a perverse pleasure in the panic attacks that would surely be suffered by its dedicated users (approximately 15% of the USA, by my cynical estimate).

Actually, AdrenalinDragon, you're in England, so I don't think the Wikipedia blackout will affect you. I'm pretty sure that it's a USA-only thing, since SOPA is primarily a USA concern (though it would have ramifications for the entire Internet).

Hell, I'd support a YOUTUBE blackout for a day, even though it is my favorite of the social networking sites (I don't care so much about Facebook). It would also be hilarious if tons of websites joined together and did it for a day, leading to a major information loss great enough to send SOPA to an entirely different dimension. Internet censorship is wrong, period. Go directly to source to battle piracy, don't just pepper spray the whole crowd for something only a few people did.

Maybe CCZone should do it sometime.

The Youtube blackout is another good idea. I'm disappointed that Google didn't join in the blackout; shutting down Gmail might be overkill, but killing the search function for 24 hours would be quite the statement.

Actually, AdrenalinDragon, you're in England, so I don't think the Wikipedia blackout will affect you. I'm pretty sure that it's a USA-only thing, since SOPA is primarily a USA concern (though it would have ramifications for the entire Internet).

English Wikipedia is blackouting as well.

I have decided my YouTube channel is doing it too. My videos will still be accessible via search but I am going to hold up on the uploads for a full week and take down the channel entirely for that time period (yes, I found a way to do so not permanently). I completely don't approve of Let's Plays becoming illegal and whole sites being taken down just for a few pirates that exist on it; it is similar to pepper spraying an entire crowd for the innapropros of one person.

If the bill passes, I will then black out for a month and YouTube will probably be killed during that time. :( Not very likely though, so I'm counting on it flopping.

I have decided my YouTube channel is doing it too. My videos will still be accessible via search but I am going to hold up on the uploads for a full week and take down the channel entirely for that time period (yes, I found a way to do so not permanently). I completely don't approve of Let's Plays becoming illegal and whole sites being taken down just for a few pirates that exist on it; it is similar to pepper spraying an entire crowd for the innapropros of one person.

Good for you! I hope other Youtubers are doing the same thing.

And yeah, if the bill passes, Youtube will be DOA. Obama's said that he'll veto the bill, but who knows what might happen after November...

^Nice!!!

...people talk about the Democrats as the party of the people, but then you find this sort of atrocity in which three REPUBLICANS jump ship, while Harry Reid continutes to push for the bill:

http://latimesblogs....n-congress.html

This is why I voted for Nader in 2008 and will never vote for a major party candidate for as long as I live.

I didn't do it, for sole reason that I don't have the time to.

But I do agree with Wikipedia, it's such a great idea they had.

Between you and I, that's never gonna pass anyway.

Between you and I, that's never gonna pass anyway.

...you never know. Look at the Patriot Act. I think there was ONE senator who opposed it. ONE.

(Just saying)

I'm not an Einstein in US Law, for I'm Canadian, and I don't really care about their politics. Though, I must admit that I'm still a bit worried with that SOPA thing

...well, it's not so much a legal thing as it is that our Senate passed a ridiculous piece of legislation with minimal opposition. But anyway, it's true that SOPA would affect the world far more than the Patriot Act did.