Age?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. How old are you?

• Less than 13
    • 13-17
    • 18-21
    • 22-28
    • 29+

...in some rural places in the States you can get a license as early as 14. It's limited to farm equipment, though, and you have to be able to prove that you're using it for work-related purposes...

There are some places in Canada that you can get an actual learner's permit at 14. :P

There are some places in Canada that you can get an actual learner's permit at 14. :P

I got my full-fledged learners at 14 :P

I'm 69 and obviously will be 70 in August. Unlike most of the young ones here that are wishing to be older, I wouldn't mind being 18 again, except I don't like what the future looks like for all of you young bucks.

Ian Wilson

In BC you can get a learner's permit at 16. We have a graduated licensing system. When you get your license, I don't think that you can't drive underage (19) kids without an adult present. It keeps the death rate from stupidity down.

I got my driver's at 19, my first car (64 Chev Belair, short block 283 V8, automatic, white) at 20. But that was in the 70's.

Ian

Unlike most of the young ones here that are wishing to be older, I wouldn't mind being 18 again

I dunno; I didn't know anyone in my generation who wanted to be older. I mean, we came of age during a recession, full of corrupt corporations and mass layoffs. If you knew anything about the economy, you were utterly terrified at the thought of growing up and having to fight for a semi-decent job (and having a college degree was no longer the reliable meal ticket it once was).

Looking through the posts, I feel pretty confident that I am the oldest one in the community at 69. Aren't you guys proud of me for even being interesting in this stuff -at this age? The way that I look at it is: you need something to keep your mind active or at least alive. You young ones have a long way to go and I wish you all a good life.

Ian Wilson (thinker)

• Upvote 2

Looking through the posts, I feel pretty confident that I am the oldest one in the community at 69. Aren't you guys proud of me for even being interesting in this stuff -at this age? The way that I look at it is: you need something to keep your mind active or at least alive. You young ones have a long way to go and I wish you all a good life.

Ian Wilson (thinker)

I'm more amazed than anything that your into Chip's Challenge Ian! :)

I'm 69 and obviously will be 70 in August. Unlike most of the young ones here that are wishing to be older, I wouldn't mind being 18 again, except I don't like what the future looks like for all of you young bucks.

Ian Wilson

Oh no way. If I could I would stay 17 forever.

Same here, I'd come back at 20 every day. (Well 21 for the legal drinking age in USA if ever...)

Yeah, 21 is the best age ever! I can finally gamble in Las Vegas! :D

I wouldn't mind being an actor. But if we're pretending that by turning back the clock we're acquiring talents that we simply don't possess, I think I'd be content with possessing the requisite motivation to do something useful with my life.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't mind being an actor. But if we're pretending that by turning back the clock we're acquiring talents that we simply don't possess, I think I'd be content with possessing the requisite motivation to do something useful with my life.

I'd be happy with the ability to make a large amount of money and invest it properly so that I was independently wealthy by now. Would make this whole "laid off" thing much easier.

Well, I was thinking small. But yes...anything that would lead to financial independence would just be lovely.

Which reminds me; I forgot to purchase my daily lottery ticket.

Did you know that "most" people who buy lottery tickets are depending on a big win as their nest egg in retirement? If you took all that lottery money they spend every month (about $50 to $100) and invest it into a quality segregated fund paying 2 to 10% a year for 25 to 35 years, they would likely have a million or more to retire on with no risk to the investment capital. And, tip No. 2. NEVER NEVER NEVER INVEST WITH A BANK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! unless you like being both ripped off and poor. Tip No. 3 RESP's (Registered Education Savings Plans) done through group scholastic funds are total ripoffs.

Ian (daughter is a financial adviser)

• Upvote 1

If you buy one lottery ticket a day, I think you have to wait something like 180 years in order to have a better than 50% chance of winning the big jackpot.

Food for thought.

On the one hand, lotteries are a disagreeable tax on ignorant people, whose popularity is a symptom of both terrible judgment on the players and the general lack of faith said people have in the ability of their traditional earnings to support them. On the other hand, they provide revenue for the state that would be badly missed otherwise in these days of deficits and budget cuts. So I figure savvy people support the regime while not themselves "investing" in it.

You could argue that it makes sense to tax the ignorant at higher rates, given that they're, by definition, not bright enough to realize that they're getting screwed. ;)