Age?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. How old are you?

• Less than 13
    • 13-17
    • 18-21
    • 22-28
    • 29+

So, BitBuster, should I expect a "Why are you depressed?" thread?

I think depression is a lot more common than people think, and because of the stigma attached by people who don't suffer and don't understand ("Just pull yourself up by your bootstraps!" "You're only depressed because you have a bad attitude!") most of us avoid getting some sort of relief. In my case, I have a particular inherited chemical deficiency that I wish had been diagnosed much earlier than it was. Also, fortunately, I don't have to be on medication or in therapy -- I just have to know what's "normal for me" and what is not.

And on a lighter note, it's likely that my particular condition was suffered by Viking beserkers. Which is sort of cool.

...well, I think it deserves a thread of its own, but I'm caught in a bind here: people don't like it when threads digress, and then they don't like a smattering new threads. So many you should take charge of starting threads based on digressions and take the heat. ;)

My boss used to tell me that people with depression were "f---ing losers." He was apparently unaware that it is a serious medical condition. I mean, he also said that being homeless was a lifestyle choice, so it was rare that I took anything he said too seriously.

Well, he used to complain about people who wasted their money on stupid things. Then he would go into his office and start to chain smoke.

When it came to his take on "bad attitude," he basically thought everyone was a "f---ing a--hole." And he would say this directly to customers. He'd chase them out of the store if he got angry enough. And when he asked me if I thought he went too far, I shook my head and said, "No, sir." Good times.

In that case, I hope my current job at Walmart will be remembered as my "terrible" one. :)

Oh my...I'm sorry, man. That's just terrible. :(

I actually loved it. It was hilarious. My truly crummy job was working at a convenience store.

I have never had a terrible "job" in my life. Any work, no matter how menial was never a problem. Any 'angst' always came from people; co-workers, bosses, or 'management' who interfered with the 'job' in some manner or another.

ian

• Upvote 1

I have never had a terrible "job" in my life. Any work, no matter how menial was never a problem. Any 'angst' always came from people; co-workers, bosses, or 'management' who interfered with the 'job' in some manner or another.

ian

I'm actually looking forward to my first real job this year. I've worked before, but not full time, so it'll be a good fresh start. :)

That's a very good point. Most work is bearable if you're allowed to do it the way you want (including listening to music while doing it).

I hate the job I have now because no one appreciates the work I do. Interestingly enough, those people that don't appreciate it are WOMEN >_>

I'm actually looking forward to my first real job this year. I've worked before, but not full time, so it'll be a good fresh start. :)

Do you have it yet, Tom, or are you still searching for one?

I hate the job I have now because no one appreciates the work I do.

What is it that you do? I'm not bothered by the fact that no one appreciates the work I do, because the job description basically precludes anyone, the workers included, from taking any sort of pride or interest in the work that's being done.

I'm a maintenance worker at a McDonald's. You might be thinking "that totally sucks you have to do all the dirty work" but actually it's not that bad. It gets you away from the pressure of the customers and workers and everything. You can go outside whenever you want, since we have the freedom to do that. Just grab a broom and dust pan and you can walk around like you own the place (Y)

Some of the other things I do include filtering the fryer oil (which is actually pretty fun) and unload the delivery truck twice a week. I also do various thing to keep the place clean and neat for the other workers.

Fun Fact: I have a CC level in JoshL2, based off filtering fryer oil (in this case, fireballs) :P

You guys are scaring me, since I'll likely have a crappy job like that in a few years so I can pay for college funds and stuff like that. Hopefully in 10 years I'll have a really good one though!

At least we'll always have CC to help us keep our sanity, regardless. :)

Burnt my arm on a fryer once -- had a red mark for months.

College is insanely expensive -- you can't pay for it by working minimum wage. It's stupid. My advice is don't go into debt if you can avoid it.

College is insanely expensive -- you can't pay for it by working minimum wage. It's stupid. My advice is don't go into debt if you can avoid it.

...that, and it's hard enough to just live on minimum wage, let alone pay for an overpriced education...

You guys are scaring me, since I'll likely have a crappy job like that in a few years so I can pay for college funds and stuff like that.

That's why you learn to play poker. ;)

But seriously, don't. Poker is only feasible if you have the right combination of ability and temperament, and if you do have the right attributes you can surely find an "actual" job that pays much more. The exceptions would be if you are extremely talented, have a passion for the game, or have a desire for the extra freedom that poker gives. You also still need a back-up plan as well as the willingness to live a more hermit-like life than most, although those necessaries both relax as you improve your skill.

As I've said, I have no plans to play competitively in order to get money; I'd rather give back to society to earn money which makes much more sense to me. Poker is fun for fun though, especially since I'm nowhere near as skilled as those guys on TV and I can enjoy being bad at it!