Sign in to follow this  
geodave

Why don't my fingers work?

I should be done with CCLP3-ms by now, but I keep dying in stupid ways. Are my fingers just that lame? Were five years of piano lessons just a big waste?

I sympathise.

I have another 18 levels to solve in MS.

I started doing CCLP3 in Lynx mode 2 weeks ago. Currently I have completed all levels up to 127 (Beat the Heat) with a current score of 4,338,730

It took me hundreds of attempts (1 1/2 days) to complete level 127 and only achieved a time of 354 in it.

Ian

Ian, was the middle part of the level the problem or something else? Sometimes a level just won't co-operate when in some other life it could have been a simple task.

Each section I got to, was great! I especially loved the first puzzle of getting past the green door. When I got cocky, I would get knocked off by the simple things. Many timesI thought I had pressed the button, but chip didn't move out of the way in time. It seems simple, but I made a lot of mistakes in the 2nd half of the fireball room, running right into a fireball just a split second too early, and usually one of the first 3. I think it was the mindset of moving toward the source instead of away from it, as in the first half of the fireball section.

Ian

I've been taking piano lessons longer than you have and I know that piano and arrow keys are completely unrelated based on the fact that I am still very bad at random dodging and stuff like that. What helped for me on level 144 was practicing on a modified CCLP3.dat which put me right at the end of 144, and allowed me to try the toggle-button frog ending over and over again until I got it every single time.

I've been taking piano lessons longer than you have and I know that piano and arrow keys are completely unrelated based on the fact that I am still very bad at random dodging and stuff like that. What helped for me on level 144 was practicing on a modified CCLP3.dat which put me right at the end of 144, and allowed me to try the toggle-button frog ending over and over again until I got it every single time.

That's exactly what I plan to do. I tried it already, but I didn't start far enough back -- my solution didn't work on the real level.

I play the brass instruments, (mostly b-flat cornet) and although at one time I could finger 'flight of the bumblebees', my tongue couldn't do it. Doesn't seem to cross over to arrow keys on the keyboard though (at least, not with my tongue). Being able to touch type helps more.

Ian

Thats ok, I have been taking piano lessons for eighteen years, and I still have horrible finger moments in cc! Although I do have big hands, so that might have something to do with it, but it's not like the arrow keys are that small, so I can't completely blame it on them. Today while recording another episode of cheeset1 I had some really horrible finger moments, you know those times when you hope no one can see them, but then you realize they are being recorded, and all you can do is laugh in embarrassment. Yeah, thats deffinately a funny and embarrassing video that I would like to forget about, mostly because my brain had some horrible moments too. It is very frustrating when you make it to the end of a long level and your fingers decide to be stupid though.

For me it is more of a problem of inattention when I ALWAYS get pink-balled to the face on the way to the exit without even seeing it before I hear it (which means the horrible scratchy death sound effect in Tile World).

Of course Mom would think it is karma, with her weird beliefs.

For me it is more of a problem of inattention when I ALWAYS get pink-balled to the face on the way to the exit without even seeing it before I hear it (which means the horrible scratchy death sound effect in Tile World).

Of course Mom would think it is karma, with her weird beliefs.

I don't give much credence to karma, but it is interesting when the universe bites back.

Would that pink ball be from Twisted Chambers, or what?

BTW, I finally finished 144.

I don't give much credence to karma, but it is interesting when the universe bites back.

Would that pink ball be from Twisted Chambers, or what?

BTW, I finally finished 144.

The pink-ball-to-the-balls moments occured on JoshL2 ep. 5 and on CCLP3 Wireframe, and probably more that I don't remember.

The pink-ball-to-the-balls moments occured on JoshL2 ep. 5 and on CCLP3 Wireframe, and probably more that I don't remember.

LOL yeah I remember those bits.

Same instances happened in CCLP2's Iron Mysticus and Patrolled. The fireball and tank at the end of both levels killed me. Lead to "almost" rage.

I do agree that we all have our finger moments. I've never taken any piano lesson, started guitar at 14, but experience speaks, as I'm a very precise key presser and incredibly quick button masher. It's just a different thing you have to learn and maintain at its finest by practising more and more.

I've played the piano for about 18 years and can say that finger dexterity developed through hours of scales and complicated Bach fugues definitely helps in achieving bold times. But it doesn't deter goofy slip-ups, sadly. ;)

The truth is, while playing piano and stuff like that may improve one's button-pressing abilities a bit, a lot of it has to do with the brain and how it controls your fingers. For example, an element of surprise may make you accidentally do something stupid (i.e. walk straight into a ball or walker). This has resulted in tons and tons of fails over my LPing experience, and unfortunately some of them are destined to cause an unfortunate BBQrage.

I've just started recording CC videos again the other day and can totally relate to these "surprise" moments. It seems like every time a monster drew near, I somehow had some sort of irresistable urge to walk right into it. :P