Sign in to follow this  
Hornlitz

Lynx ChipWiki?

I talked a tiny bit about it in the NG, though no one has appeared to have noticed, so I'll ask here:

Should I start a Lynx ChipWiki for the (duh) Lynx solutions of levels and maybe glitches too? I would allow others to submit solutions as well if they wanted, and I would also allow Miika to help with this and upload some of his solutions.

Shouldn't it just be a part of this wiki? Since it's supposed to be THE Chip's Challenge Wiki. It should incorporate everything that is Chip's Challenge; there shouldn't be two wikis.

~Bowman

Shouldn't it just be a part of this wiki? Since it's supposed to be THE Chip's Challenge Wiki. It should incorporate everything that is Chip's Challenge; there shouldn't be two wikis.

~Bowman

Well, it would be part of the Chip's Challenge Wiki, not a separate one. It would just be for lynx videos.

What Hornlitz means is a YouTube channel for lynx solutions, like the current Chipwiki channel, right?

Perhaps we could simply use that same channel, or is there some reason not to? Or even our own ones and then create a playlist?

I might contribute some videos, but generally it might require some particular reason to make it worth a lynx video. Like for example, I wouldn't mind making one for something like Patchwork, where the Lynx and MS routes are essentially the same, but what's the benefit of such a video anyway?

What Hornlitz means is a YouTube channel for lynx solutions, like the current Chipwiki channel, right?

Oh. Oops. I thought he meant the literal Wiki...never mind...

(But I still think that making the de facto Wiki more Lynx-friendly would be a good idea!)

I think this is a great idea. I always wondered why the Wiki was so MS-centric.

I do too - I think the reason is because the community has gathered around MS until Tile World came out in 2001. But even at that, there wasn't an official community-produced set for Lynx until CCLP3.

So should I go through with it, or should I get consent from Mike to use the existing Chipwiki?

And also, I agree with Miika. Videos for levels like patchwork, where the solution is the exact same don't need to be made.

I'd be OK with Lynx videos being added to the existing ChipWiki YouTube account... Technically Craig (Arnold) is the owner of the account - not sure how active he is anymore, but maybe we should try check with him first (and Andrew too...).

I asked Andrew, and he said it should be okay if I use the existing Chipwiki channel. However I haven't contacted Craig yet, mostly because I don't know how I'd do that. Does anybody know how I could?

This is a question for Mike:

And if Craig agrees, then I would probably have to gain access to the Chipwiki channel. Would that be okay, or is that forbidden?

Okay, so Craig has allowed me to do this, but I still have one more thing to work out:

How can others send in their solutions?

There isn't a Chipcap for TW, and so they couldn't use that, but they could use other recording software. However, not everybody would have access to a recording software. So if that's the case, should they just send me their TWS file and tell me what level to record and post?

Okay, so Craig has allowed me to do this, but I still have one more thing to work out:

How can others send in their solutions?

There isn't a Chipcap for TW, and so they couldn't use that, but they could use other recording software. However, not everybody would have access to a recording software. So if that's the case, should they just send me their TWS file and tell me what level to record and post?

Actually you can use ChipCap to record TW - open MSCC and place it directly over the TW window (having stretched the CC window to be the same size as TW), start recording, and then move the MSCC window out of the way - ChipCap will then record the TW window. The quality's pretty poor though, and this wouldn't work for those with 64-bit computers anyway... So I guess maybe the best solution would be for you to record them from others' TWS's, unless they have a recording program to do it themselves...

Alright, one final question: Should I make videos for the levels where the solution is no different from the MS route?

Hmmm, I guess it would be kind of redundant...but on the other hand, those playing in Lynx might prefer to watch the solutions in Lynx as well... I'd be all right with either option I guess...

I think you should do it Shane. If I were playing in Lynx mode, I would want to watch the solution in Lynx as well. :)

Would anyone be interested in Lynx solutions for CC1 and CCLP2? Would you want to include those on the Chipwiki channel also? Mainly I'm thinking of levels that play similarly to MS, since those most likely won't need updated videos later.

I was thinking of putting the CC1 solutions on once the CCLP3 ones had been put up, but I could put them up now too. I didn't necessarily think CCLP2 should be thanks to the invalid levels, but I suppose the compatible levels could.