Sign in to follow this  
geodave

300 posts!

Well, I'm partial to squares (4, 9, etc.) because of the open locker problem*, among other reasons.

Also, DNA is base 4, so it's sort of built-in. :P

* Take 100 school lockers (numbered 1-100). Open every one. Close every second one. Toggle (open or close) every third one, etc. Which lockers are left open at the end?

Any defenders for the poor base-3 system?

Problem: Break a 40 kg weight into 4 pieces such that those pieces can then be used to measure any (integer) weight from 1 to 40 kg using a balance.

Solution uses balanced ternary (digits: -1, 0, +1).

- Madhav.

• Upvote 1

* Take 100 school lockers (numbered 1-100). Open every one. Close every second one. Toggle (open or close) every third one, etc. Which lockers are left open at the end?

What exactly do you mean by "etc."?

- Madhav.

What exactly do you mean by "etc."?

Hm, do you stop after 50? Or continue til 100?

What exactly do you mean by that? (I have no clue.)

Given he was talking about squares, I assume he goes up to 100. If the problem were to continue "for every number n from 3 to 100,, go through and toggle every locker that is a multiple of n", then the lockers open at the end would be lockers which are squares, 1, 4, 9, 16, 25, 36, 49, 64, 81, 100.

What exactly do you mean by that? (I have no clue.)

Balanced ternary <3 (there's actually a level in my upcoming set with it as a theme...lol)

It's base 3, but the digits are -1, 0, 1 instead of 0, 1, 2.

Hm, do you stop after 50? Or continue til 100?

If I remember the problem correctly, you keep going until 100.

I have no idea what the heck base systems are (Y)

You're not missing out on much. :teeth:

I have no idea what the heck base systems are (Y)

It's not hard. We use the decimal or base 10 system. In this system there are 10 digits, 0 through 9, representing each number less than 10. Each number N is represented by a list of digits, which are determined by finding d_1, d_2 etc. such that N = d_1 + 10*d_2 + 100*d_3 + 1000*d_4 + ... and so on until we reach a power of 10 larger than N. We write numbers using this series of digits in opposite order from how I wrote them there.

Ex: 1028 is 1*1000 + 0*100 + 2*10 + 8

In an alternative base system it's the same thing, only 10 is replaced by some other number, and there are a different number of digits, which may be represented by some smaller set of numbers or it might have 0-9 plus extra symbols if the base is larger than 10.

Ex: In base 2, one has the digits 0 and 1 representing the numbers less than 2. A number can be represented in binary with digits d_1, d_2 etc. such that N = d_1 + 2*d_2 + 4*d_3 + 8*d_4 + ... and so on until we reach a power of 2 greater than N. Remember that these d's are required to be 0 or 1, they are not allowed to be anything else.

234 in binary, for example, would be 1*128 + 1*64 + 1*32 + 0*16 + 1*8 + 0*4 + 1*2 + 0*1, so we would write it as 11101010.

The base 2 system is very popular because it is used by computers to represent numbers, because computers store and operate on data as a series of on/off states, which are made to represent numbers in binary.

Yes, the answer to the locker problem is all the square numbers. What this means, really, is that square numbers are the numbers that have duplicate divisors, and so end up with an odd number of toggles.

Pretty much. We used to love fooling around with those at college :P

Also, I remember solving that problem last semester in my class :P

Actually, C and K are the same, except for the offset, so that's pretty simple.

My favorite process for going between C and F (and back) is the -40 rule. -40C = -40F. So, no matter what you start with, the three steps are:

1. Add 40

2. Convert units

3. Subtract 40

It is by far the easiest and it is exact. In the Midnight Oil song he says "The Western Desert lives and breathes at 45 degrees". Well that means nothing to me, so I add 40 (85), change units (85 * 9 / 5 = 17 * 9 = 153), subtract 40 is 113 degrees F. DAMN that's hot!

Problem: Break a 40 kg weight into 4 pieces such that those pieces can then be used to measure any (integer) weight from 1 to 40 kg using a balance.

- Madhav.

Sorry to spoil this for others (not really!), but powers of three is the answer. You have to use a balance, of course, to do the measuring.

Nice problem, since there isn't really an equivalent in other bases.

Also, just pointing out that I have 600 posts, which is twice the title of this topic.

I like those maths.

Also, just pointing out that I have 600 posts, which is twice the title of this topic.

I like those maths.

Perhaps it is you who needs to buy a life??

My favorite process for going between C and F (and back) is the -40 rule.

I've never had a problem with the "multiply by 9/5, add 32" rule. Actually, I never heard of the -40 rule before...seems a bit inconvenient, with the extra step and all.

Perhaps it is you who needs to buy a life??

I heard it's on sale on eBay. I'll try and search for it.

I really need something to change my life indeed.

There are worse ways to spend your time than at CCZone.

Reddit, for example. Or StumbleUpon.

Or sucked into TvTropes (If you don't know what it is, don't google it if you plan on doing anything else for a while, that website is addictive and will suck you in for hours).

• Upvote 1

Sometimes I wonder who's more foolish: the fool who posts Youtube comments, or the fool who reads them.

(I am one of the latter.)

Sometimes I wonder who's more foolish: the fool who posts Youtube comments, or the fool who reads them.

(I am one of the latter.)

How about the fool who makes ridiculous youtube videos no one watches? That would be me.

Is it sad that I wanted to make a "THIS! IS! SPARTA!" joke when I saw this thread title? :P

SPAMMER TIME SPAMMER TIME SPAMMER TIME SPAMMER TIME SPAMMER TIME SPAMMER TIME SPAMMER TIME SPAMMER TIME SPAMMER TIME SPAMMER TIME SPAMMER TIME SPAMMER TIME SPAMMER TIME SPAMMER TIME

Mhm, that seems to be the whole point of this 3-page topic, hahaha.

There's nothing wrong with posting alot or making loads of videos. It's better than doing nothing

I'd argue that posting a lot qualifies as doing "nothing." Perhaps not in the literal sense, but in spirit...

Oh, I'm perfectly aware that I'm doing absolutely nothing when posting over here.

I think that deserves a new thread...or are you going to wait until 500 to celebrate?

Something like that. I hear 666 is special....

This is MY 300th post!! I totally planned this out BTW (Y)

Cool. This is 442. That means I need to find a couple more and see if there's a 444 award.

:)

Well, it seems I have changed from a blob to an exclamation point, so I guess 444 does get you something....

Well, it seems I have changed from a blob to an exclamation point, so I guess 444 does get you something....

Welcome to the best level ever. Block Buster!

I didn't even notice the blob/exclamation point thing until you pointed it out. Methinks I need to pay more attention to the username/awards/level/etc. information.

I applaud your irreverence for the arbitrary prettiness of numbers. I really do. I presume you're a fellow New Year's hater...right?

I hate New Year's resolutions - I regret starting that thread a while back since I haven't really achieved them. The generic process for resolutions is making one, then abiding by it for the first week of January then slowly letting it go, and also I'd rather just pursue resolutions whenever the hell I feel like it.

New Years on its own is fine by me, since it is fun to think that the Earth has gone around the Sun once since last year, but I don't see what that has to do with kissing right as the clock hits midnight (like my parents always do). :teeth:

Well, at this particular moment, the Earth has gone around the Sun once since last year, but no one celebrates it...

I sort of see New Year's resolutions the same way some people seem to view church (namely, a way to feel good about yourself without actually changing anything about your lifestyle).

New Years just marks a certain point at which the Earth starts at, so we can celebrate it at a specific time, which I'm fine with, but I do think New Years is a bit overrated otherwise. It's also a way to encourage reflection upon what has happened since the Earth started it's previous revolution, and how much progress we have made in life. Other than that, I prefer Christmas.

It just still seems arbitrary (not to mention somewhat silly) to celebrate the rotation of the Earth around the Sun...I mean, really?

I prefer the Fourth of July, less for its celebrations and meaning than because it means that it's summer, and what's not to love about that?

Ah yes, sadly I'll be in the Galapagos this year when that happens, where it will technically be winter. At least I'm not Nationalist (thank god).

I'm going on a trip called the "Global Awareness Program" or something like that, no idea why they call it that but basically it means I go on a school-organized trip in the summer just for fun, which cost the earth but I hope it's worth it.

Going to church doesn't make you better any more than entering the garage makes you a car....

The only real purpose of church is to remind you that there are other losers ALSO trying to be good people.

(Okay, that's not true, but it's sort of true.)

Going to church doesn't make you better any more than entering the garage makes you a car....

The only real purpose of church is to remind you that there are other losers ALSO trying to be good people.

One minor nitpick: a lot of the losers aren't even trying to be good people. ;)

One minor nitpick: a lot of the losers aren't even trying to be good people. ;)

Well, true. I can speak with some authority on this one as I've regularly attended these church denominations:

Roman Catholic

Lutheran

United Methodist

Convenant

Evangelical Free

Christian & Missionary Alliance

Assemblies of God

Independent

Plus visited many others. They all have people who are just there to be seen, or to follow tradition, or because they think attending will earn the "points" with God or something.

But it is also true that there are people in every congregation who are trying to get it right.

But it is also true that there are people in every congregation who are trying to get it right.

Oh, definitely! I wasn't saying that all church-goers are cynical hypocrites...just that a large number of them are.

A lot of churches these days are boycotting Starbucks for supporting gay rights; this one just makes me facepalm and then BBQrage (and then other members of the community start attacking my maturity and I facepalm again).

A lot of churches these days are boycotting Starbucks for supporting gay rights; this one just makes me facepalm and then BBQrage (and then other members of the community start attacking my maturity and I facepalm again).

Not Starbucks! Anyone but Starbucks! Where would I get my alcohol substitute from? :(

...well, it sort of makes sense, the way one might boycott a chain for, say, supporting child labor in China. If you're really opposed to a certain principle, then it makes sense to protest against it via withholding your George Washingtons and Ben Franklins (the only way a lot of people in the Western world will ever learn a lesson).

Of course, there's hardly a parallel between gay rights and child labor, but I'm optimistic that, whatever else my/our generation's flaws, we're generally tolerant of homosexuality, interracial marriage, etc. Things are getting better, if only slightly.

Marriage is a product of love, and it doesn't matter who two people are involved unless one is too young to understand the concept of marriage (which is usually under 18 in my opinion). Legalizing gay rights is just the same as banning segregation.

I agree completely about the segregation point. I'm not so sure about the "too young" thing (we've been through this before, though I'd be happy to get into it again!).

And I don't think that marriage is a product of love. Relationships are a product of love. Marriage just puts two names on a form and allows for tax breaks and other minor legal benefits.

This is my 326th post; just as special as my 300th, 400th, 500th and so on.

Mmm something tells me you don't think like that, just by how you treat your YouTube subscriber count.

Also relationships aren't necessarily a product of love. I've seen many relationships based around the sole concept of having sex and lemme tell you the partners could have been replaced any time. Love brings relationships, but forget the other way around.

Relationships based on mutual love and/or respect are the ones that can last, much more so than sex-based relationships or ones based on circumstance (doing some activity together, etc.).

I'm not sure about that. Sometimes I think that people stay together more because of circumstances than because of affection.

What I meant was that if the circumstances were taken away in such a scenario, the relationship would most likely not last. For instance, I had a lot of friends in college with whom I spent a lot of time, but that time was spent because we just happened to be in the same place. Once we parted ways, we never really kept in touch much. It was only with the close friends with whom I had developed friendships based on much more that I was able to maintain a relationship and "pick up where we left off" when we saw each other after graduation.

...well, that's true. But if the circumstances are reliable enough...

I'm not saying that that's a good thing. I knew a lot of people who stuck out their marriages out of convenience. All the same...

All I'm postulating is the question of whether or not that's the best thing, though. :) I'd rather have a solid foundation of friendship and mutual love first.

Oh, well, I'm not entirely convinced that being single isn't ultimately better. I guess it depends on whether you're considering the probability of finding someone you actually love (versus all the people you try out but reject or are rejected by, for one reason or another), as well as what, exactly, you want out of it...

I dunno. I'm just speculating based on what I've seen.

Oh, well, I'm not entirely convinced that being single isn't ultimately better. I guess it depends on whether you're considering the probability of finding someone you actually love (versus all the people you try out but reject or are rejected by, for one reason or another), as well as what, exactly, you want out of it...

I dunno. I'm just speculating based on what I've seen.

I guess it really depends on how high your standards are. Then again, alot of the girls in my country are loose and "out of control". <_<

Perhaps, should Romney win the election in November, that will provide the requisite motivation for me to begin packing my bags.

If either of the "front-runners" from either party wins...this. ^

Well, this thread has gone off the rails.....

It is possible to find it all, just difficult.

I personally am not better off single. I've tried both.

Well, this thread has gone off the rails.....

It is possible to find it all, just difficult.

I personally am not better off single. I've tried both.

You ok now though, Dave?