Sign in to follow this  
geodave

300 posts!

Actually, C and K are the same, except for the offset, so that's pretty simple.

My favorite process for going between C and F (and back) is the -40 rule. -40C = -40F. So, no matter what you start with, the three steps are:

1. Add 40

2. Convert units

3. Subtract 40

It is by far the easiest and it is exact. In the Midnight Oil song he says "The Western Desert lives and breathes at 45 degrees". Well that means nothing to me, so I add 40 (85), change units (85 * 9 / 5 = 17 * 9 = 153), subtract 40 is 113 degrees F. DAMN that's hot!

Problem: Break a 40 kg weight into 4 pieces such that those pieces can then be used to measure any (integer) weight from 1 to 40 kg using a balance.

Solution uses balanced ternary (digits: -1, 0, +1).

- Madhav.

Sorry to spoil this for others (not really!), but powers of three is the answer. You have to use a balance, of course, to do the measuring.

Nice problem, since there isn't really an equivalent in other bases.

Also, just pointing out that I have 600 posts, which is twice the title of this topic.

I like those maths.

Perhaps it is you who needs to buy a life??

My favorite process for going between C and F (and back) is the -40 rule.

I've never had a problem with the "multiply by 9/5, add 32" rule. Actually, I never heard of the -40 rule before...seems a bit inconvenient, with the extra step and all.

Perhaps it is you who needs to buy a life??

I heard it's on sale on eBay. I'll try and search for it.

I really need something to change my life indeed.

There are worse ways to spend your time than at CCZone.

Reddit, for example. Or StumbleUpon.

Or sucked into TvTropes (If you don't know what it is, don't google it if you plan on doing anything else for a while, that website is addictive and will suck you in for hours).

• Upvote 1

Sometimes I wonder who's more foolish: the fool who posts Youtube comments, or the fool who reads them.

(I am one of the latter.)

How about the fool who makes ridiculous youtube videos no one watches? That would be me.

Is it sad that I wanted to make a "THIS! IS! SPARTA!" joke when I saw this thread title? :P

SPAMMER TIME SPAMMER TIME SPAMMER TIME SPAMMER TIME SPAMMER TIME SPAMMER TIME SPAMMER TIME SPAMMER TIME SPAMMER TIME SPAMMER TIME SPAMMER TIME SPAMMER TIME SPAMMER TIME SPAMMER TIME

Mhm, that seems to be the whole point of this 3-page topic, hahaha.

There's nothing wrong with posting alot or making loads of videos. It's better than doing nothing

I'd argue that posting a lot qualifies as doing "nothing." Perhaps not in the literal sense, but in spirit...