Sign in to follow this  
BitBuster

Waterfalls

Why are people so fascinated by them? I mean, it's really not that impressive when you think about it...water tumbles from a certain height, splashes down into a pool below...what's the allure? I can appreciate a waterfall as much as anybody, but they just seem sort of mundane when you stop to consider what they really are.

My guess it's the same reason people are impressed with mountains or oceans. I don't know about you, but the sound of the ocean rocks me to sleep better than anything. And mountains are really, like, big. Yeah, they are just natural phenomena, but that doesn't make them less impressive.

What about rainbows? And shooting stars? All stars for that matter. Maybe it's just that some things make you feel small, so you're impressed.

I've never seen a shooting star. But I'm biased against them (as well as rainbows) because I immediately associate them with bad junior high poetry.

But yeah. Big things. Impressive. You'd think people would get depressed by them, but instead, they tend to be inspired.

I just don't get people. I really don't.

They're soothing for me. I get a lot of stress relief while listening to the sound of the nature around me.

People like spectacle. Big waterfalls are spectacle. They're not in the normal range of experiences for many people. Pictures and video don't accurately capture the sight, the smell, of a waterfall.

Take a trip on the "maid of the mist" to the foot of niagra and try not to be impacted.

ian

The experience was ruined for me by the raincoats/ponchos. I couldn't concentrate while wrapped up in that thing.

Now, if you **really** wanted to experience a waterfall, you'd have to go over it in a barrel. Of course, this has a low survival rate so you probably don't want to.

I didn't wear the raincoat on the trip. I stood in the very front of the lower bow and got soaked. Enjoyed it immensely. The wife thought I was nuts. But I was glad it was a warm day.

Ian

I don't like them solely for the view or the greatness. It's the general feeling around it. Hearing water flow has always been a soothing experience for me.

Sometimes I'd spend an hour on the side of a waterfall just watching a small rock being constantly struck by water. It's fascinating.

I think volcanos are much cooler than waterfalls.

Totally agreed here. I love volcanoes! They might be more dangerous than waterfalls, but there more interesting in my opinion :)

Wouldn't it be great if CC had flowing water? Imagine all the new concepts it would add, such as pipes and stuff, and giant waterfalls where you have to dodge falling gliders on your way down (with flippers of course).

I think volcanos are much cooler than waterfalls.

Depends of the water temperature (!) :P

[/horriblepun]