Sign in to follow this  
BitBuster

What did you want to be when you were little?

The cliche is that little boys want to be policemen or firemen, but I never wanted either of those occupations. I always wanted to do something "creative." I wanted to be an inventor, a songwriter, a writer (period)...stuff like that.

The sad thing is that, since I was eleven or so, I've had no such ambitions (at least ones that I take seriously). As long as I'm at a job that is significantly (or even marginally) better than living off of soup kitchens, checks from Uncle Sam, and the generosity of various religious groups, I'll be relatively happy.

Is it even realistic to try to get your dream job anymore (assuming that you have one)?

Is that even an occupation? I was under the impression that beta-testers usually don't get paid. But then, I'm not a gamer, so I could be way off on that...

I do remember hearing a lot of people talking about how they wanted to be video game designers. Yet another market that I can't see how people ever get into, unless they know someone or start their own company or, ahem, "flirt" their way to the top.

I never actually really cared about this stuff then... But recently I've wanted to be a kid again. You know, when we didn't have to worry about anything...

I always wanted to be a kid. I mean, I @%#$-ing hated it (especially school), but I knew even then that it was better than growing up.

I'm not exactly what you'd call "optimistic" or "cheery," in case you haven't noticed.

When I was around 5-8 I wanted to be a singer... Then once I got interested in computers around age 9 I wanted to start my own computer company... By age 11 I wanted to be a programmer, then when I was 17 I became interested in being a radio DJ... Now I've got just a little over a year left of college and I don't know what I want to do. :lol: Probably something in radio or video, I guess... My dream job would probably be working on a TV show, but since I don't plan on moving to New York or Los Angeles that's probably unlikely... :P

You know who I wanted to be? I wanted to be the Master from The Brave Little Toaster. I had these visions of my appliances coming to my aid anytime I was in peril.

I wanted to be an astonaut. (Mercury), Then a marine biologist when I was 12. Never thought I would study marine biology and end up in forestry research, computer programming, and grandparenting.

ian

I wouldn't have minded pursuing a career with the NPS. The part about spending your time surrounded by nature appealed to me; the requirement to study some form of science did not.

Video game tester. Which I kinda still want to.

^this.

Also video game designer, which I still really want to. Probably why I design SO many CC levels.

I never really knew what I wanted to do, and even now, I don't know exactly. Well, I do but I don't.

In the past I remember wanting to be a video game designer, and still do. Astronaught was also a thought, since I love astronomy. Towards the end of high school I kind of wanted to be an astronomer or astrophysicist, but then started studying engineering, which seems like a good start to me, for what I want to do.

I never knew what I wanted to do. I had this secret dream to become a secretary, you know, an administrator, in some office. Then I thought I had to do something with my good grades, so I studied to become an engineer. Now I work in the office of a factory, I do some engineering stuff but most of my work is really administrative, planning the production and printing production orders and such. Someone said I should get a job where I get more use of my university degree, but I love this job so much! It's like what I've always wanted to do, I just didn't know it til I found it. :) (I only wish I could wear high heels and a skirt to work every once in a while, but that would just be laughed at :P )

I never knew what I wanted to do. I had this secret dream to become a secretary, you know, an administrator, in some office. Then I thought I had to do something with my good grades, so I studied to become an engineer. Now I work in the office of a factory, I do some engineering stuff but most of my work is really administrative, planning the production and printing production orders and such. Someone said I should get a job where I get more use of my university degree, but I love this job so much! It's like what I've always wanted to do, I just didn't know it til I found it. :) (I only wish I could wear high heels and a skirt to work every once in a while, but that would just be laughed at :P )

Interesting. I've never heard anyone who wanted to be a secretary before.

I'm curious though. What branch of engineering did you study?

Interestingly enough, I have no technical interest whatsoever, even though I like to mod and hack games. Programming is certainly not my high point. When I was very young, I wanted to be a doctor, but that obviously went away very quickly. Nowadays I am more interested in what makes our world the way it is, and I'm sorta interested in anything that involves a search for a specific answer that allows us to move forward with technology and our lives.

Nowadays I am more interested in what makes our world the way it is, and I'm sorta interested in anything that involves a search for a specific answer that allows us to move forward with technology and our lives.

Are you interested in science at all? I feel that science does this for me.

Yeah, that's my main area of interest. I kinda want to prove Christianity and Buddhism wrong to be honest, but I don't think its really possible given our trapped inside the universe.

Yeah, that's my main area of interest. I kinda want to prove Christianity and Buddhism wrong to be honest, but I don't think its really possible given our trapped inside the universe.

Those claims are unfalsifiable... (also, why specifically those two? :P)

At the moment, I'm studying to be an engineer, but I still have my eyes set on becoming a world-class poker player. (A beautiful blend of probability, logic, and psychology; my three favourite disciplines <3)

Those claims are unfalsifiable... (also, why specifically those two? :P)

At the moment, I'm studying to be an engineer, but I still have my eyes set on becoming a world-class poker player. (A beautiful blend of probability, logic, and psychology; my three favourite disciplines <3)

I would want to prove any religion wrong, being athiest, but Buddhism and Christianity are the two that I'm most influenced by. Sometimes I can't believe Mom believes in such statements like "Desire = Suffering" and the existence of 2,000+ gods... It just doesn't make sense to me, especially that she converted just a few years ago. I just let her be though, as I can only constructively oppose her arguments.

In some ways, you'll realize pretty quickly that desire = suffering. Perhaps not to a religious extent, but being an extremely cynical individual, I must admit this is pretty dark as a train of thought, though pretty much true for me.

Gods? Don't mention it :P

"E=mc^2 you can relate, how we made God with our hands"

Perhaps, you might get beyond the desire to prove something wrong, and instead look for what is true?

The problem lies in Weltanschauung, (or worldview in English). Everyone has one, and it overrules our perception of the universe.

Just for a taste, these are excepts from Dr. John MacArthur's book "Thinking Biblically". and sum it up fairly well;

What is a worldview? A worldview comprises one's collection of presuppositions, convictions and values from which a person tries to understand and make sense out of the world and life. “A worldview is a conceptual scheme by which we consciously or unconsciously place or fit everything we believe and by which we interpret and judge reality. “A worldview is, first of all, an explanation and interpretation of the world and second, an application of this view to life.”

and

How does one form a worldview? Where does one begin? Every worldview starts with presuppositions-i.e., beliefs that one presumes to be true without supporting independent evidence from other sources or systems. Interpreting reality, in part or in whole, requires that one adopt an interpretative stance since there is no “neutral” thought in the universe. This becomes the foundation upon which one builds.

Ian