Sign in to follow this  
BitBuster

Have you ever run over an animal?

I see dead squirrels, deers, etc. all the time along the roadside, but I've never actually hit one myself (thank goodness). I've also never seen anyone else hit 'em.

These are the things I think about when I'm driving around rural roads at night, and I'm paranoid about a fawn jumping out in front of my car.

I hit a young bear (maybe a few months old) once and didn't stick around to see how angry Mommy Bear would be. I did call it in when I got to the next town. Vehicle damage was relatively minor.

:(

I saw this topic and I was like "what the hell?" I never thought a type of topic like this would be created but whatever...

I never hit anything before with my car so I'm safe to say that I'm safe lol.

It's the Internet. Any type of topic is fair game.

I've never hit anything with my car before either. Knock on wood. Sometimes I'm tempted to rev up the car and drive down the street knocking down trash cans. It's probably good that I only have these urges when I'm in a state that completely precludes the possibility of driving (I.e., I'm semi-awake in the middle of the night, trying to remember if I might have taken too many Tylenol PM's).

Most traumatic was being in a car (not as driver) that fatally ran over a kid's pet dog that ran into the street. Have hit songbirds, a grouse, two deer or rather, they ran into me. The last one knocked off my driver's side mirror, then ran off. I have never killed one.

A lot of people don't watch out for their pets; the dogs or cats will just mosey out into the street, never mind that there's a car approaching. The worst cases are when you're rounding a blind curve and suddenly find yourself approaching a small house, with one or more dogs leaping from the yard into the road.

At least little kids tend to have more sense than that.

That's one reason why my family and I kept our dogs inside - they are so incredibly tiny.

When they were little, one of them actually managed to escape when one of us entered through the front door - some clever wiggling did the trick. What followed was quite the intense chase - you could just see "Freedom!!!" in the way our dog ran through the street, but eventually, we managed to scoop him up and take him home. :) He knew we were mad but showered us with kisses anyway.

Oh yes. :) I was talking only size-wise. (And I almost spelled that as "wize"...)

I'd sometimes like to as well. I remember playing a random shareware game when I was a kid that spelled "practice" as "practise," to which my parents said, "Oh, that's just BRITISH."

With that tone, I naturally assumed the British were evil. :P

I'd sometimes like to as well. I remember playing a random shareware game when I was a kid that spelled "practice" as "practise," to which my parents said, "Oh, that's just BRITISH."

So, have you played Grey Connexion yet, you bloody wanker?

I'm a big fan of the extra "u" in colour, humour, honour, etc. And though I spell "practice" the American way, it sometimes bugs me. I feel like a half-breed, or something.

• Upvote 1

Exactly!

Ah, I know a few people who would probably put themselves into that category. They're some of the most awesome people I know, too. :)

I always think "practise" should be pronounced "practize". And I always want to pronounce "colour" slightly different than "color".

That reminds me of a time many years ago when I edited an article on Wikipedia describing some British castle or something, and changed a word to the American spelling although I don't remember which exact word it was. The moderator that caught me wasn't too happy since British articles should use their spelling. :teeth:

Aw, geesh... did I really just post in this thread again? Thank goodness it's off topic for once!