Sign in to follow this  
BitBuster

What's your favorite font size?

I dunno. People like to go on and on about their favorite TV shows, favorite bands, favorite colours, etc. Might as well have a discussion of our favorite font sizes.

I prefer size 7. Not only does it save paper, but it's easier on my eyes, for some reason. I don't like large fonts. 12-point font looks weird when you print it out. Ditto for double spacing, but perhaps that's a subject best reserved for another thread.

7? Why not 2? Geez!

Now you're just being ridiculous. ;)

I've been going down the ladder. I used to be a 10 person, and then I was 8. Starting last year, I became a seven person. I wonder if I'll ever graduate (regress?) to six.

I'll go with 12, since it looks the most natural for a word document zoomed to 90 or 100%. But it all really depends on how well it fits in with the page, so on this board since 14 is default I'll go with it to keep everything in line.

Calibri is my current favorite, and Arial is also pretty good since it is very generic and doesn't have all the hooks that aren't necessary for easy reading. If you want it to look like a newspaper you'd definitely use TNR, but using it on papers and classwork is just a bit overdone.

Maybe my journalism background is what makes me gaze favorably upon TNR. Calibri is another one I dislike...maybe I'm a font Luddite (then again, I think typewriter-like fonts are the worst).

Requiring specific fonts for reports is ridiculous, imo. I get it if the idea is to ensure that the paper is of a certain length, but in my experience, no teacher worth their while cares how long an essay is so long as the requisite content is there.

Thankfully some teachers are like that too... one uses a grading system that makes it impossible to take off points simply because I used the wrong font, rather it's all in the content.

That's exactly how one of my teachers thinks, he believes grades are stupid and that one should be required to understand the concept in order to move on. However, grades are part of the policy.

I think assignments should be graded, but only such that one has the opportunity to correct their mistakes and learn rather than being punished for not getting it the first time. In order to pass the class, one would simply need to understand all the concepts in such a way that their grades are consistently in the acceptable range, and it's done for (no GPA's or final class grades or anything).

My favorite font used to be Comic Sans MS. :rolleyes: It was only fairly recently that I found out it's pretty much the most hated font of all time...

But back on topic - I guess I'd have to go with size 12, but I'm OK with most sizes - I don't mind the font size here, but I guess it's probably smaller than 12... I think I like small sans serif fonts more than I do small serif fonts though - for example, I'd prefer to read 10 point Arial over 10 point Times New Roman...

• Upvote 1

I think assignments should be graded, but only such that one has the opportunity to correct their mistakes and learn rather than being punished for not getting it the first time. In order to pass the class, one would simply need to understand all the concepts in such a way that their grades are consistently in the acceptable range, and it's done for (no GPA's or final class grades or anything).

...well, then you get into the realm of college, in which some professors allow an unlimited amount of rewrites, and are prohibited from flunking students who turn something in. It defeats the whole purpose when you can defeat the system with a little bit of cynicism (and the ability to ignore any scrap of pride that you may have).

I have problems with the whole idea of formal education; for example, state jobs here basically require you to take a "test" to prove that you're capable of doing the job (for example, if you're applying to be a typist, you have to prove that you can type above a certain WPM, with minimal errors). I think most jobs should hire based on those sorts of decisions, rather than based on how impressive one's resume (and college credentials) are. But I digress.

• Upvote 1

Going to a real college where you could actually fail (and I did -- in Raquetball of all things!) teaches you things that you need later in life. While my three years of Calculus never did come in handy at work, knowing how to deal with the huge bureaucracy that was my university did. (At the time, it was the largest in the world.)

That being said, lack of a college degree probably shouldn't preclude you from having a job like mine, but it DOES. It's used as a filtering mechanism by employers. It's not fair, and probably not wise, but it's TRUE.

It's certainly not fair or wise (particularly as it gives an even further advantage to people from even relatively affluent backgrounds). I'm not sure if failing is quite as instructive as dealing with irrational, bullheaded professors who, despite their supposed intelligence, are some of the most ignorant people you'll ever meet. Of course, you can learn much the same lesson by working in any service industry (McDonalds, cough), and not have to pay $40,000 for the lesson.

• Upvote 1

If I had it to do over again, I would not have taken out any loans -- I'd take longer to finish instead. Also, I tried to get a second degree (and failed), which kept me in at least a year too long.

In another odd consequence, if I had done things differently I likely would not have met my first wife, which means I wouldn't have had to go through the hell of that breaking up, but also wouldn't have my first daughter. You can't change the past, but it's interesting to consider what if.

All the regrets I have are related to things I didn't do, rather than to things I did. I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.

What's your degree in, Dave?

Math. In fact I have that most rare of degrees, a Bachelor of Mathematics (as opposed to a BA or BS).

I regret both sins of commission and omission, but I try not to dwell on them. That just wastes time. Learn your lesson and move on. I still catch myself feeling bad about a mistake made at 13 -- silly -- I should just forget. I learned my lesson.