Sign in to follow this  
BitBuster

Annoying things about Windows

A thread inspired by BigOto's post in another thread. Let's create a master list of gripes, nitpicks, and other observations about Windows! Any version is fair game.

As I said, that one time when I closed one window in Word and all ~8 windows I had open closed *without* saving. Not funny at the time, but you all know how sadistic I am in the future.

Another recent one is when an illegal program (a not-so-stable Wii emulator) on my computer crashed arbitrarily like it does quite a lot. Apparently just this once, Windows decided to automatically apply unnecessary compatibility options, and I'm still not sure what the heck it did but I couldn't figure out for my life how to reverse it.

And also, the green ribbon of death "searching for a solution" when something stops working is totally unnecessary except in Microsoft products... like Microsoft will ever try to fix someone else's problems, especially if that program isn't legal.

Windows Update is possibly the most annoying thing ever when you have a laptop. You try to shut it down and then it starts updating, and you can't pack it up and leave the coffeeshop...

Also, incessant restart requests from 5 programs that want to update. Adobe is the worst as it checks right after startup, often making one restart AGAIN (which I always refuse of course, as it isn't as important as Windows security updates).

Every time there's a new version of Windows or Office, I CAN'T FIND ANYTHING!! I had to google how to add Notepad to my SendTo in windows 7 today. (Stupid).

Ah, same here. The switch between Office 2003 and 2007 made me want to cry, but I got used to it and now I prefer 2007 and 2010. Hope they don't rearrange everything in the next version.

Biggest problem with windows is MS.

They love to change things that work into things that don't.

I want to keep my programs and data together. I want to decide how to arrange file structures (tree design) on my disk. I don't want MS having to verify my legal copy of whatever version of windows I use. I hate the office ribbon. I revert to classic windows layout whenever permitted. My favorite version was 98SE. Anything since and including Vista sucks big time as far as I am concerned. XP was acceptable only because you could set it up just like 98SE.

Ian

I hear in Windows 8 they may do away with the desktop and file structure altogether, leaving us with an iPhone style design with only Microsoft-verified applications.

OK, that's a big exaggeration, as far as I am concerned. But it's what I first thought when seeing the trailer!

I despise ClipIt. I'm not a violent person, but sometimes I want to punch him. Thankfully, he seems to have disappeared from recent versions of Word. Of course, there's always a trade-off, and like Dave said, the way MS loves to mix up the menus in the MS Office suite makes me think that:

a ) Microsoft secretly hates people

b ) Microsoft is carrying out a massive sociological experiment with us as the guinea pigs

c ) Both of the above.

I miss File Manager from Windows 3.1 I never cottoned to the 95/98/etc versions of Windows, but XP and 7 are fine by me.

(BTW, this isn't a Windows gripe, but I resent that I had to put spaces between the letters and the parentheses in my list, lest the second line turn into an emoticon. Oh, the hardships of modern life.)

B) is an emoticon?

Windows seems to have an every-one-version-is-good problem. Windows 3, 95, 2000 and were yucky, whereas 3.1, 98, XP and 7 are pretty good.

I'd agree, save for 98, which looked and felt like a transitional OS, imo. It was MS fumbling around for something that they didn't achieve until XP.

And yes, B) is apparently an emoticon.

I don't use Windows, but I found

about the new design of Windows 8 and its (lack of) discoverability pretty interesting.

GUI design is tough and I think that many people would accept a crummy interface that is easy and familiar over a good one that isn't.

Is it just me or does anyone else notice that Microsoft releases a buggy operating system and then a stable one afterwards. (Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7)

Another recent one is when an illegal program (a not-so-stable Wii emulator) on my computer crashed arbitrarily like it does quite a lot. Apparently just this once, Windows decided to automatically apply unnecessary compatibility options, and I'm still not sure what the heck it did but I couldn't figure out for my life how to reverse it.

Right click the program and go into properties. There's a tab named "Compatibility" that will let you change it back.

You're talking about Dolphin, right? I didn't think dolphin is illegal but the ROMs/ISOs are.

You're talking about Dolphin, right? I didn't think dolphin is illegal but the ROMs/ISOs are.

Dolphin is not illegal, but even if you own the game, I think it's still technically illegal to play Gamecube/Wii ISOs. Let's try to stay away from that.

Right click the program and go into properties. There's a tab named "Compatibility" that will let you change it back.

Yes, I mean Dolphin with a pirated Mario Kart Wii ISO. Yes, illegal, I do not care for the least bit and I haven't got police knocking on my door anyway. I own the game anyway so Nintendo doesn't lose money.

I tried to change it back under the compatibility tab, but there was nothing out of the ordinary there.

Looks like I've been beaten to posting about Clippy. :P

And I despise Windows Update too - it came up during my LP recording session tonight. You'll be able to see it through the opaque window title bar at the top of the video screen when I post it. ;)

Haha, good answer! Hope it's the continuation of Riven.

That's another annoying thing about Windows, that it won't play Riven or CC anymore since it's so new. I can name quite a few games that fall into this category nowadays.

Actually, I have Windows 7 and have been able to play both on it - granted, it is the 32-bit version.