Sign in to follow this  
BitBuster

Annoying things about Windows

That's true but I think they wanted to make the incompatibility a bit clearer. I personally don't really care.

While writing this message I accidentally Caps Locked, by the way.

...well, Word gives you that annoying dialogue box everytime you try to save to an "old" format: you know, "data may be lost," etc. Maybe it's the "x" that annoys me so. I don't think I'd be quite as annoyed if they called it "docc," or something like that. "Docx" just sounds like a virus or an adult-only film about a medical practitioner.

Does anyone actually use the "Recent places" function in Windows? I don't have a problem with it, exactly, but it seems to be a rather inefficient way of accomplishing what Shortcuts (both in the Start Menu and on the Desktop) could do.

I have discovered that there is no way to turn off the sound in the new Word, short of going into Control Panel and messing with the Windows Sounds menu.

---- you, Bill Gates. ---- you.

Yeah, I remember trying, with much frustration and little success, to get some DOS stuff to run on a new Windows OS. The new DOS prompt is terrible.

I ended up digging out my old computer (complete with Windows 3.1).

Yeah, I remember trying, with much frustration and little success, to get some DOS stuff to run on a new Windows OS. The new DOS prompt is terrible.

I ended up digging out my old computer (complete with Windows 3.1).

There is a workaround. You have to use a Virtual Emulator to use DOS, although it's fiddly and buggy as hell. I still have my first ever computer, which was Windows 3.1. (Y)

The Windows 3.1 interface coupled with Windows 7 capabilities would be the ultimate. That said, I'm sure we could still find plenty of things to gripe about.

Actually, ".docx" makes me think ".doc XTREME" or something silly like that. :)

Why doesn't Microsoft just team up with Apple? Now that would be the ultimate team! (Y)

Nah, that'd be like T. S. Eliot teaming up with Stephanie Meyer. You have the name recognition in both cases, but you're still teaming up [relative] quality with total shiitake.

Actually, ".docx" makes me think ".doc XTREME" or something silly like that. :)

".docXXX" could be the name for a adults-only Tube site.

Windows Update is possibly the most annoying thing ever when you have a laptop. You try to shut it down and then it starts updating, and you can't pack it up and leave the coffeeshop...

This

Every time there's a new version of Windows or Office, I CAN'T FIND ANYTHING!!

I'm still using ye ole Microsoft Office 2000 because of this

Windows seems to have an every-one-version-is-good problem. Windows 3, 95, 2000 and were yucky, whereas 3.1, 98, XP and 7 are pretty good.

I remember having absolutely 0 trouble with Windows 95, so that would be an incorrect statement for me.

That's one thing I don't get. Why does DOS not work on the new Windows anymore? Some of the best old PC games were on DOS, and Microsoft took it out. :(

Just get yourself D-Fang Reloaded with DOSBox, and you'll run everything like a charm :)

I hate the ".docx" file extension name; ".doc" is so much cleaner and aesthetically pleasing.

Ditto.

...but who would be Eliot, and who would be Meyer? ;)

Let's just say that for all my gripes about Windows, I still think of Apple much the same way that the world thinks of Jar Jar Binks.

I guess I don't really do a lot of heavy computing or gaming, so I'm pretty content with my Apple iMac. It does what I need it to do with very minimal crashing, so I'm happy. :)

I guess I don't really do a lot of heavy computing or gaming, so I'm pretty content with my Apple iMac. It does what I need it to do with very minimal crashing, so I'm happy. :)

Have you Boot Camped Windows and Mac, or is it only Mac and you only download Apple software for it?

Wow. I don't know anyone else who liked their iMac. Newer Macs, yes -- but the iMac? The Candy Land computer? The computer that almost killed Apple and forced them to bring back Steve Jobs?

Not those ones - I definitely meant the newer ones. :P I was just learning how to use a PC when the colorful ones came out! (Weren't those called "eMacs," by the way? Memory fails me...)

I never really had any problems with Windows, tbh. Blue screen of Death is hilarious whenever I get it, it's more about those details everyone seems to complain about.

I never really had any problems with Windows, tbh. Blue screen of Death is hilarious whenever I get it, it's more about those details everyone seems to complain about.

Can you even get Blue Screen Of Death in Windows 7? I think they got rid of it in Windows XP. I only remember getting it on Windows 95 or 98 for taking out a USB device.

Can you even get Blue Screen Of Death in Windows 7? I think they got rid of it in Windows XP. I only remember getting it on Windows 95 or 98 for taking out a USB device.

I think I got it on Vista before...

BitBuster - it's an error message that pretty much leaves you with no option other than restarting your computer... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_screen_of_death

While on that page, I saw the preview of what the Windows 8 blue screen of death will look like... Are they trying too hard to be cool at this point? :rolleyes:

BSoD_in_Windows_8.png

LOL I got the blue screen of death so many times on my computer (Y)

It's always because of a random thing that attacks my computer. Yeah I know it's a virus, I'm just too lazy to get rid of it :P

If that BSoD for Windows 8 is what will actually be used...Microsoft has just earned more cool points in my book. :D