M11k4

Who made the toughest levels in CCLP3

Who made the toughest levels in CCLP3, on average?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these designers has the highest average taken over the level numbers of the levels they designed in CCLP3? Basically, on average how far are their levels in the set?

2. 2. How about for these other designers? (This one is much closer, so just answer by what you feel and I'll post the exact results later.)

I was interested in calculating the average of how far in CCLP3 a designer's levels are, giving a feel for how difficult thier levels were on average. The ranked the seven designers with the most levels in the set. Joshua Bone is not in the above questions, because his 15 levels were much easier, despite having a couple placed much later in the set than their actual difficulty would indicate, with an average of 63. I'll post the exact results, but thought it might be fun to first ask people how they feel it should go.

I'd probably say Madhav overall. Pieguy had a few surprisingly easy/medium difficulty ones. Tyler's "Everybody Get Dangerous" was more of a pain in the arse than it actually looked.

• Upvote 1

I'd definitely have to go with Madhav here. Even if it appeared early in the set, Vague Dream is still quite a challenge to conquer. Lead Us Not into Temptation is probably the only other level that could be called somewhat "easy" compared to the others, which are clearly designed to be solved over a much, much longer period of time.

Thanks. I'd say that as far as the raw numbers go, Madhav and John made approximately the same number of really hard levels. That said, on the average, Madhav's levels are significantly harder than John's.

I didn't have much of a problem with LUNIT either. I thought it was one of the easier levels in the 100's.

I think it's interesting that the difficulty portion of the voting was somewhat affected by the knowledge that some people had about certain levels by these designers. For instance, we had some people rate some of pieguy's and Madhav's easier levels - including many that didn't make CCLP3 - a full difficulty rating, even when it was clear those levels were not even close to ultra-difficult.

...like Waterslide?

BTW, how were the CCLP3 levels arranged? I have to assume that including Diabolical and Marooned relatively late in the set was a conscious choice...no?

We tried to respect the order when we could, but there were some levels that clearly didn't belong in the positions in which they were voted; for instance, Triple Maze and Vague Dream were among the most highly rated in difficulty. Waterslide was actually voted "lower" in difficulty than its position in the set, but we moved it there to break up the string of puzzles around it and because it does require quite a bit of playing skill depending on which solution is used. Marooned and Diabolical were positioned accordingly for the same reasons. The "Chip's travels" levels, however, were the most significantly concentrated examples of deviation from the difficulty order, as many of them would have been placed earlier in the set (Take the I Train, Fireball Tourism, The Haunted House, Niche, etc.).

At least we can be glad the level in CCLP3 didn't have the original version of the force floor room. ;)

I didn't even realize people found Everybody Get Dangerous to be difficult (Y)

There are a few tricky and devious rooms, mostly in the 2nd half, and it takes over 5 minutes to beat on a regular playthrough.

In fact, when J.B. originally told me the positions of my levels in CCLP3, I thought they were all too late in the set, with the exception of Jumble which I thought was too early (and Entrance Examination).

My votes went to Madhav and Tom R. There were three levels that I couldn't solve on my own so I blatantly copied the AVI solutions, and they were Vulcan, YCTaOFNT, and Suspended Animation. I think people overestimate the difficulty of pieguy's levels. Keep in mind that essentially none of his levels in CCLP3 focus on monster manipulation. Tom R. has no difficult levels per se, but Ida has more easier levels and I always underestimate the difficulty of my own levels.

Tyler, your levels are easier to you because you think that way. I can't understand why people don't like "Squared", but it has weird tricks that only I like.

^ This. If anything, playtesting CCLP3 and trying to create CCLP1-friendly levels has been an interesting exercise in trying to think like a first-time player.

I don't know about the toughest, but Andrew R.'s single contribution to CCLP3 was definitely the best level, by far.

I think Welcoming is my best level, but Final Destination is by far your best level, Tom! (Y)

I think Welcoming is my best level, but Final Destination is by far your best level, Tom! (Y)

I was talking about CCLP3 only.

I think people overestimate the difficulty of pieguy's levels.

True, but the poll is asking for our estimation of how far (on average) those designers had their levels in CCLP3. Even though Madhav had the hardest levels, I voted for pieguy in that section for this reason. (I didn't do a hard calculation though...)

Even at that, I think Madhav would still win, even with Vague Dream). Pieguy has Road Block, Possible, and Triple Maze.