Sign in to follow this  
BitBuster

An odd Target policy

...so I guess they were training a new employee, 'cause I saw a part of their training manuel left out by the register. While waiting in line I happened to glance at it, and I read something along these lines:

The maximum gift card purchase a customer can make in any 24-hour period is $10,000. If a customer attempts to purchase more than $10,000 worth of gift cards, the associate is to inform them of the daily limit. Do not break up the purchase into two separate transactions.

Who the shiitake buys $10,000 worth of gift cards? It has to be some sort of money laundering scheme; I don't think even a corporation would come up with a policy like this without having a good reason.

Yeah, that's true. But odds are, if you're giving someone a gift card so that they can buy an iPhone (or a computer, or an .mp3 player, etc), you're close enough with them that you're going to pay for the whole thing and can just accompany them to the store (or, in the case of a parent/child or significant other relationship, just lend them your credit card).

I don't know. I'm just speculating here. I don't really travel amongst the sorts of folks who routinely give out gift cards in hundred-dollar (or thousand-dollar) increments.

...yes, but $10,000? In gift cards? This isn't about putting a $10,000 cap on purchases. It's about a $10,000 cap on gift card purchases. Seriously?

Exactly. Or you'd just buy the expensive product for your kid (and you probably wouldn't buy it at Target anyway; Target is for the common folks). Or they could just draw the money out of their trust funds for themselves.