Sign in to follow this  
jblewis

Portal

This game - and its sequel - have been mentioned in various threads by multiple forum members, so I thought it deserved a thread of its own. :) What do you think of the series? Its characters? Its puzzles? Feel free to discuss, but beware of spoilers!

I know! I only wish it wasn't 2:00 in the morning when I saw it because it's totally worth being more awake. :)

I don't think I should be watching on this thread, for spoiler sake. But let's just say the first instalment has made it in my all-time top10 video games.

I think both games are prime examples of how to present puzzles without making them excruciatingly hard. :)

I've only finished the first Portal, so no spoilers please.

Anyway, the first Portal was fantastic. Glados has hit my top 10 video game villains and the game's puzzle were neither too easy nor too hard, and it didn't outstay it's welcome.

Has anyone seen the Portal 2 "proposal" video on YouTube? Some awesome guy managed to get Ellen McLain, the voice of GLaDoS, and one of the game's writers to write and record original dialogue for some custom levels he made for his girlfriend to play through such that at the end, GLaDOS asks her if she will accept his hand in marriage. :D

• Upvote 1

Wow. All I did was change my then-girlfriend's desktop background with a proposal in my own handwriting (which I had made into a font.) I feel so inferior. :D

I should seriously take note of all these ideas so I could combine aspects of some of them in some way one day. :)

Portal and Portal 2 are in my list for the Top 10 games for me. I don't play them much anymore, though - I beat Portal 2 co-op, SP, and Portal 1 SP - so not a lot left to do except Portal 1 achievements and Portal 2 jumping. :P

I think the concept of the companion cube is so insanely ridiculous that it's actually funny. It's like GLaDOS thinks it is somehow sexually attractive.

• Upvote 1

I think the concept of the companion cube is so insanely ridiculous that it's actually funny. It's like GLaDOS thinks it is somehow sexually attractive.

I think it's more a statement on just how insane and gullible GLaDoS wants to make you feel in the facility. If you can be convinced to value a companion cube - and not in a sexual way - you can be convinced to believe other things as well.

I think it's more a statement on just how insane and gullible GLaDoS wants to make you feel in the facility. If you can be convinced to value a companion cube - and not in a sexual way - you can be convinced to believe other things as well.

Wasn't the Companion Cube your best friend in Portal? I'm not sure if that changes to anything romantic in Portal 2, so no spoilers there, or maybe it's Glados? :P

That's why I said "not in a sexual way." :) There's nothing romantic about the companion cube, unless you infer something based on its having a heart stamped on it.

Of course I was just joking. There's no way a dirty metal cube with a heart stamped on each side will be found attractive by anyone except one of those corrupt cores near the end of 2.

Even at that, it would probably be only that green "adventure cube" that flirts with you. :P