geodave

The infamous super-collab level

I had it last but I sent it to Michael. My portion includes a "Firetrap" like scene, with a tank corridor.

What do you think would happen if you did a 30 x 30 and passed it through a group of guys who could only add 1 tile (or up to 6 tiles?) before passing it on to the next in line? Would it be garbage in the end?

ian

I think the smaller the contribution, the less cohesive the level would be overall - because it would become less and less clear what people's intentions are when adding certain tiles.

What was the math used for working out how many designers could participate in a 32x32 map?

I might join in, but I need to be sure it is going to proceed of course.

Alright, so assuming the edges are all walls that makes the effective area 30x30 - 900 tiles that may be changed.

4 designers would give each one a 15x15 area, or 225 tiles. This is much too large.

9 would give each one a 10x10 area, or 100 tiles. This is still a bit large, unless we have it designed like a series of 9x9 levels.

36 designers would give each one a 5x5 area, or 25 tiles. This could be fun.

anything smaller and you're just going to get chaos.

Perhaps the final product could be like "Microcosm" or similar levels. :)

Alright, so assuming the edges are all walls that makes the effective area 30x30 - 900 tiles that may be changed.

4 designers would give each one a 15x15 area, or 225 tiles. This is much too large.

9 would give each one a 10x10 area, or 100 tiles. This is still a bit large, unless we have it designed like a series of 9x9 levels.

36 designers would give each one a 5x5 area, or 25 tiles. This could be fun.

anything smaller and you're just going to get chaos.

I suggested 16 designers getting 6x6 tiles each, a la Everybody Get Dangerous, about a million times, but James rejected the idea (Y)

And how is 15x15 too big? Normally, one designer uses the whole 32x32 grid :P

I suggested 16 designers getting 6x6 tiles each, a la Everybody Get Dangerous, about a million times, but James rejected the idea (Y)

Was I unconscious when this happened or something?

If we can't add content to the level, perhaps we can edit existing content with the permission of whoever made it first?

The Competition Staff may have to divide all willing participants into teams in that case. :)

So who has the most current version? As far as I know, I was the one who had it last, in which I added a firetrap scenario as well as a tank corridor.

I've gotten my part done - will send to CamdenT next. Camden, what's your e-mail?

I downloaded it and added my piece, so what should I do now?

Edit: I uploaded it here in the downloads section. It's called The Supercollab Level Version 1.6.

I'm not clear on the rules. If I add to this, what guidelines must I follow? And can I even just jump in like this?

I want to join, so I'd like to know the rules, too. :P

+1

I want to join, so I'd like to know the rules, too. :P

I'm not clear on the rules. If I add to this, what guidelines must I follow? And can I even just jump in like this?

Well since no one else bothered to reply to you guys about this, I may as well do so myself.

You guys can just join in. The only major rule I can think of is don't edit any existing portions of the level, just your own. Whatever your adding to the level, make sure it works with the rest of the level and make sure it's Lynx-compatible. :)

When your done, just upload it here on CCZone as the latest version. In this case, 1.8

Now as to decide who gets it first, that'll be up to you 3 :P

In that case, I call dibs on being the one who upgrades 1.10 to 1.11. That should give everyone else time to figure out what they want to do without me seeming selfish.

Six months since the last post...is it finished or just forgotten?

I'm not entirely certain. Let me check to see if it's finished or not. :)

I wonder when this will ever get finished :P hopefully it's not really forgotten..

Whenever mathgrant comes back. Unless one of us decides to override his dibs.

I'm here, I'm here.

What is the purpose of the fireballs and ball in the upper-left room? When playing the level prior to opening it in the editor, that room seemed strangely devoid of any puzzle due to the suction boots. Is this a bust, or a red herring, or what?

Welcome back!

I'm not sure myself. Tom made that room, then Lessinath added the little area with fireballs along with the block/ice rings.

You should probably ask tensorpudding first, since he was considering his contribution to the level.

Re: The fireball, I couldn't find a use for it that wasn't unfair, so I left it there untouched as a red herring. I could have made a use for it, but it would have been quite rude to change a part of the level that wasn't mine in such a major way.

I think I'll take a go at this, I was tempted to move that big section in the lower middle to somewhere that doesn't waste as much real estate - but I would not change it besides that. What do you think? For now, I will work around it.

Edited by Lessinath

The way it's set up now, the second red key is redundant. Perhaps add a blue key or chip behind the other red lock?

Please illustrate with a video why the second red key is redundant. As far as I can tell, the first red key, at (27, 1), has to be used on (20, 7). If it's used to get the blue key, you won't be able to get the exit because you still need all of the chips. Are you mistaking the block cloner on (17, 12) for a block that can be pushed north to get to the exit?

It might be more elegant to replace the blue key and blue lock with a chip and a chip socket, though, now that you bring this up.

Please illustrate with a video why the second red key is redundant.

I can upload a TWS here tomorrow if that suffices.

If it's used to get the blue key, you won't be able to get the exit because you still need all of the chips.

I'm not following your logic. Just press the blue button at 20,15?

Are you mistaking the block cloner on (17, 12) for a block that can be pushed north to get to the exit?

No. That's my block cloner :P.

EDIT: Uploaded the TWS(s). http://cczone.invisionzone.com/index.php?/files/file/188-the-supercollab-level-110-minor-bust/

Edited by random 8

Here's my proposed revision of the level on Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v5l99huoj7xjkmb/Supercollab.dat

I changed several tiles, and even moved the recessed wall maze a space south, so that the MS "push a block even though there's a thin wall" trick can't be used to open the bottom red lock and then the top.

If this seems fair, I'll officially upload it to CCZone.

Guys the level isn't even done yet. Lets finish filling in the map and then we can talk about fixing problems and busts. The chip count isn't final, we may need to change door and key colors around to prevent busts at that point or maybe even make larger changes.

I know I had to make several very minor changes to have my section of the level work right and I fixed an unintentional screw as well. These minor changes may have been enough to address this problem.

So which file and I am supposed to download? I already contributed to this super collab level for those who don't know or remember.

lol well ok - I'm just checking for any serious issues I may have added unintentionally. The area I added is larger than I am comfortable having added, but it's got two parts and they're pretty basic so I don't think it should be an issue.

So Mathgrant already uploaded his despite my saying I was taking a turn? Nice...

Well, here's an image of my copy of the level so we can decide what to do. Ke7Eb.png

Edited by Lessinath

But now the teleporter at (10, 6) is no longer a death trap if you enter it from the left! :P

I believe I've found an adequate solution to this concern by moving the block at 13,17 to 11,19 and putting a dirt tile at 12,19.

So is 1.11 complete? It looks complete in that image, aside from the change you mentioned.

Wow, this is still going after like a whole year! Maybe I should join and add some stuff to the level for once, just for the flying heck of it, seeing as it is more successful than I ever imagined something like this would be.

Wow, this is still going after like a whole year! Maybe I should join and add some stuff to the level for once, just for the flying heck of it, seeing as it is more successful than I ever imagined something like this would be.

It did go dormant for about half a year....

So I hope it's not too late to say that I want to work on this too...

It's not too late. Not until the whole board is full. And we still need more people to help.

Edited by Michael

I thought BigOto2 and Hornlitz wanted to contribute?

So I hope it's not too late to say that I want to work on this too...

Oh, and tensorpudding, if and when he ever comes up with something.

Edited by random 8

The deadline for submissions was June 30, 2012 - so I'm afraid not. Also, all 33 packs have already been assembled.

The deadline for submissions was June 30, 2012 - so I'm afraid not. Also, all 33 packs have already been assembled.

Wow, it's been that long already?

When I was not taking my break from Cams Challenge (which is right now) I made a level that combined bits of CC1 levels and mashed them into 1 level. Is that a possible standalone submission levelset? I think that'd be a nice collab, where people take bits of CC1, maybe if we could, CCLP2, CCLP3, and if it's out by that time, CCLP1 or even CCLP4, and make levels for a little levelset? We'd probably just have to come up with a name and mash up them levels, and bamf.

Not an invitation for "can I do X thing for this thing?" more then just a minor sub-discussion thing and an invitation for "Could we maybe...?"

For anyone who is still interested in contributing to this set, here's an update:

Yeah...1.11 by Lessinath is still the latest version.