AdrenalinDragon

What is your current avatar on CC Zone?

Well my current (and most likely only) avatar here on CCZone is the pokemon Flareon, made as the last level for JoshL3 (level 80) viewed in Tile World's graphics at 40% view :)

It was copied from the 3rd generation's in-game battle sprite. Took about 3 hours to make perfectly! :)

Well my current (and most likely only) avatar here on CCZone is the pokemon Flareon, made as the last level for JoshL3 (level 80) viewed in Tile World's graphics at 40% view :)

It was copied from the 3rd generation's in-game battle sprite. Took about 3 hours to make perfectly! :)

Haha! Makes me want to make one myself. I remember making one based on a dragon. That was pretty cool. What tileset is it? MS or Lynx?

It's MS/Lynx's Tile World tileset :P

Originally I planned to make it solely just as an avatar, but it was pretty suitable as a level. I have an avatar of Vaporeon (also a pokemon and level in JoshL3)

I plan to make Jolteon at some point too for JCCLP.

What the **** is that? A cat rabbity dog thingymabob? :huh:

It's an arbitrary physical representation of an intangible being. :P

It's an arbitrary physical representation of an intangible being. :P

That's pretty great James :P I thought at first it was a Unicorn Rabbit (Y) (Y) (Y)

A Hammer Bro from the Mario series, though I'm considering changing it to something Doctor Who-related...

Mine's Mikhail Tal, the chess player. I love his games, and I just thought the picture looked really cool.

On a side note, I think I'm the only one here who hasn't drawn their avvy from a video game.

On a side note, I think I'm the only one here who hasn't drawn their avvy from a video game.

Mine's from an anime. (Y)

Mine's Mikhail Tal, the chess player. I love his games, and I just thought the picture looked really cool.

Mine's an original character I created (well, with help from some acquaintances from the furry community). :P

Mine is something I created, if you get every reference in there, you're a champ. It's my YouTube avatar, and I'm thinking about changing it to an idea I had a long time ago that I'm interested in creating.

Mine is Beat from Jet Set Radio Future, which, by the way, is the greatest game ever. I also have a billion other original avatars that I could use, but don't. This was my old avatar:

quiznos.png

Mine is a structure I built from magnetic sticks and metal balls. It was the only reasonably abstract picture that I had at hand when signing up.

Oh, I thought you guys were all pokemons. Josh, James, Tom and Dave.

I don'r know much about pokemon, I guess I'm like 10 years to old or so. My younger siblings used to know all about them.

And Bit Buster, I thought that was a photo of yourself.

My picture is just a funny one that I found on Facebook. I think if you click it you might be able to read what it says. (A comment from a fellow engineer was "Oh, this makes dancing seem easy now.", to which another friend replied "Well I just thought, dancing suddenly became very hard.)

Nah, I'm not the kind of guy who uses pictures of himself as his avvy...especially not on a public forum! Too paranoid...plus, it's always fun when you're posting on a forum and someone says, "Hey, that's Tal in your avvy, isn't it?" Sadly, these moments are quite rare, but hey, I'm a chess geek...what can I say? ;)

I'm impressed by some of the avvies people made themselves; M11k4's is particularly cool. And I'm still endlessly amused by JB's "hammer bros" pic, though I'm not sure why...

• Upvote 1

Now that I think about it, if he didn't have the hammer, he might just be another insufferably cute cartoon character. But because he looks as if he's going off to destroy something or someone (and he's running, at that), he's got class. Oodles of class.

I'm impressed by some of the avvies people made themselves; M11k4's is particularly cool. And I'm still endlessly amused by JB's "hammer bros" pic, though I'm not sure why...

Are you impressed with mine? (Y)

Oh, I thought you guys were all pokemons. Josh, James, Tom and Dave.

Lol mine IS a pokemon, and so is Dave's :P

Yes, I am impressed; doubly so when considering that it's a CC level! I'm pretty much amazed by any sorts of graphic art that uses little tiles to compose larger, more recognizable images (there's a technical term for it...anyone know what it is?).

And yeah, the fact that the hammer bro is so cheerful about his imminent rampage of destruction is really the key to the whole thing. It wouldn't work if he had a neutral expression on his face. He looks for all the world like a little kid running off towards the playground...the only difference is that hammer ominously poised to strike.

• Upvote 1

I don't really know what mine is, but you could say it is a depiction of a photon.

If you know it's a depiction of a photon, doesn't that mean you know what it is? :P

Did you make it yourself? If not, how'd you find it?

If you know it's a depiction of a photon, doesn't that mean you know what it is? :P

I didn't create it myself, though that's probably one style of art that I would create. I found it in an image search one or two years ago, so I can't remember exactly what I searched, but I think it was "photon", or something related. So it works to say it's a depiction of a photon (with that wave/particle characteristic), but it isn't necessarilly that. I guess I like to think of it as a photon though.

I'm pretty much amazed by any sorts of graphic art that uses little tiles to compose larger, more recognizable images (there's a technical term for it...anyone know what it is?).

Mosaic...?

I made mine just because I was so impressed with Flareon. His is so much better.

Hey I like your geodude sprite too. Maybe it could use more of a background though. Or maybe that would be too distracting.

It took some time to find a small enough graphic online to copy -- it had a white background, so I used ice.

Also, how can quarks have colors when they are smaller than all wavelengths of visible light?

Use it in a sentence.

I was referencing a Calvin & Hobbes strip in which Hobbes says "I like to say 'quark.' Quark, quark, quark..."

Does that count as a sentence? :)

As soon as I saw "quark," I knew what the reference was...:)

What I remember is that Calvin wanted to bring Hobbes out to dinner with the family, and his dad convinced him not to by saying "He might eat someone." Think that might have been my first exposure to the greatness.

What I remember is that Calvin wanted to bring Hobbes out to dinner with the family, and his dad convinced him not to by saying "He might eat someone." Think that might have been my first exposure to the greatness.

Haha! I think when Calvin tells Hobbes what his dad said, Hobbes says something like, "That's true. I can never stay on a diet in a restaurant." Classic!

My first exposure to Calvin was the "series" (it was only two strips) when he decides to make a newspaper reporting the events around his household. He turns into a yellow journalist when it comes to his mom preparing dinner ("Knife-wielding mother hacks ichthyoid! Surburban family devours game in vicious ritual!"), and he turns his dad into the subject of a comic strip called "Dopey Dad." I wish Watterson had run further with that storyline.

After that, I read the strips where Calvin sends away for the Beanie, waits forever to get it, and then, when it finally arrives (I think we can all relate to this), it's a massive disappointment. But at least it came in a cool cardboard box!

The Beanie storyline is one of my absolute favorites. Not only because of what happens when Calvin gets it, but also because of the hilarious jabs at junk cereals and middle age. ;)

Watterson really nails advertisers, both in that series and in all of the strips that deal with Calvin's "Chewing" magazine.

My all-time favorite strips are still the snowmen ones, though. They're both impossibly immature and impossibly dead-on in their bashing of the art critic world.

Oh, I know - they are brilliant. Also, the series in which Calvin transmogrifies into a safe (I forget which it is, exactly - the one where he grows suddenly?) is one of my favorites as well.

It's the one where he's holding onto a balloon, and he flies so high that it pops, and as he's plummeting to his (presumed) demise, he remembers that his transmogrifying gun is in his pocket.

That is one of the very few strips that actually made me burst out into hysterics. I did not see the safe-transformation coming, and it was just so well timed and rendered...

It's not the funniest series, but I think possibly the cleverest is the one where he makes the duplicates, and in the end he gets rid of them by transmogrifying them into worms. Who'd've thought a cardboard box would have so many uses?

(And counterfeiting is only one of its many applications around the house!)

Ahhh, Calvin. I had forgotten about the duplicating machine.

I have the book "Something Under the Bed is Drooling" somewhere.

I had an orange and white beanie in college -- and my best friend had an identical one. However, mine was from a soccer team, and his was a Wheaties hat.

I made a level when I was little called (weirdly enough) "The Whirlwind" that contained teeth afar surrounding you from all sides. Somehow, I was able to solve it only once.

Is that Chip's Challenge screenshot really one of your levels?

Yes, one of my levels screws you like that. Now, there are invisible walls there and several of those teeth are actually stationary on traps. See if you can figure out which ones.

To be fair, it's probably not the only level made that will screw you like that and I did have to manipulate it a little to get it so nice.

I made a level when I was little called (weirdly enough) "The Whirlwind" that contained teeth afar surrounding you from all sides. Somehow, I was able to solve it only once.

That actually sounds kinda neat.

Oh, duh...I should probably remember which thread I'm reading at any given time...damn the convenience of tabbed browsing!

It's Judit Polgar, another chess player. Apart from being utterly gorgeous, she kicks *** at the board. Needless to say, she is on my list.

That just makes me wish my girlfriend knew how to play chess...

Better yet, I wish she were willing to learn how to play chess.....

Wow. Chess babe.

7a416d1ec2510a77145b032f0a6be7fa56d23c40.gif

That just makes me wish my girlfriend knew how to play chess...

Better yet, I wish she were willing to learn how to play chess.....

I feel you, man. Chess-playing women are hot.

[/sexism]

Actually, it's more fun to play cards.

Admittedly, I've made a lot more money at cards than I ever have at chess. Still, chess is aesthetically pleasing to me...cards are just a way of hustling a few extra bucks.

Now it's time to make everyone run away by changing my avatar to.. the Walker.

http://darthno.ytmnd.com/

It took some time to find a small enough graphic online to copy -- it had a white background, so I used ice.

Also, how can quarks have colors when they are smaller than all wavelengths of visible light?

Isn't rock weak against ice? :P

Quarks don't really have color. We say they have color charge only to describe their strange three way interaction, hence red, green, and blue.

To be honest, I never played or collected pokemon, so I only know a few things. I'm a little more familiar with classic Yugioh -- I'd like to change my avatar to Skull Knight, but the CC Editor resolution is too low for a good rendering. I may change anyway using a standard JPG.

I have nothing against it. Walkers are far from the most annoying creatures in CC, imo.

Plus, it goes well with your current blob image (what are those called? The thumbnails next to the Level markers...)

I'm having trouble viewing those links, Flareon...but based on Google, I think the Leafeon one's better. (Y)

Me too so I'm going with it :P

You would be correct.

Jennifer Shahade- author of Chess Bitch. Frankly, I'm not that wild about her games (she's certainly no Judit Polgar!), and at times she sinks into the sort of extremism that gives feminism a bad name, but hey...I'll go along with that for the sake of popularizing chess. (Y)

Chess is no challenge compared to Duplicate Contract Bridge.

I lose at both, of course. I have more of a chance if we're playing Euchre or Checkers.

...well, at least with chess, you know that a 1200-rated player is never going to beat a grandmaster, no matter how many games they play (unless the grandmaster is thoroughly wasted, or unless he/she dies while playing the game and hence loses on time). With cards, there's always the chance that a complete idiot will win a hand here and there...

...well, at least with chess, you know that a 1200-rated player is never going to beat a grandmaster, no matter how many games they play (unless the grandmaster is thoroughly wasted, or unless he/she dies while playing the game and hence loses on time). With cards, there's always the chance that a complete idiot will win a hand here and there...

Well, "never" isn't true. If I randomly picked moves to make, I could beat a grandmaster (just with extremely low probability). But yeah, the randomness in card games can be extremely angering...not that randomness reduces the amount of skill required, it just reduces the impact of that skill.

I need to get back in to bridge. My parents are both life masters and I used to be decent but stopped, partly out of being unable to find a partner. For anyone who hasn't played it, there is indeed a ton of skill involved (it's one of two "mind sports" recognized by the International Olympic Committee, the other obviously being chess). Most bridge players tend to play backgammon as well, which is also fun and dependent on a ton of skill...sigh, my affinity for combo skill/chance games gives me more interests than I know what to do with :(

Also, somebody (read: BitBuster) needs to make a Chess thread. We need to get some intra-community games going! We could even do some Malkovich games. (a concept which can be extended to more than chess)

Well, "never" isn't true. If I randomly picked moves to make, I could beat a grandmaster (just with extremely low probability).

Good catch. I retract my previous statement.

But yeah, the randomness in card games can be extremely angering...not that randomness reduces the amount of skill required, it just reduces the impact of that skill.

Also, somebody (read: BitBuster) needs to make a Chess thread.

Ah, haven't I made enough enemies already with my rabid thread-making? ;)

We need to get some intra-community games going! We could even do some Malkovich games. (a concept which can be extended to more than chess)

I like this idea. (Y)