Sign in to follow this  
BitBuster

Stupid websites you waste your time at

I was pretty into this back in 2008:

http://www.nationstates.net/

I eventually figured out that it was a waste of my time, but it still took me a few days to finally give it up. There's really not much to it, but it proved strangely addicting.

Right now, I'm thinking I might have to delete my account at Chesstempo. I've spent the better part of the past week working my way up to a 1514 rating, and it's not very beneficial to my productivity.

facebook

I know better than to set up a Facebook account, because:

1. I hear it's a terrible time hog

2. I have no people to friend, and consequentially, it would only elevate my current state of depression

Sadly, CCZone and Chesstempo do not center around having "friends," and therefore they feel comfortable placing demands upon my oh-so-precious time.

Thanks for the offer, but I think I think I'd get even more bummed if Facebook was just an extension of my online "relationships." ;)

On a side note, I religiously follow http://electoral-vote.com/. The fact that I otherwise know little to nothing about contemporary politics does not stop me from reading this site/blog, nor does it prevent me from forming strong opinions that I defend with a zealot's rage.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Addicting Games yet. I used to go on it all the time (most of it was wasted playing horribly programmed games) although I had quite a bit of fun playing the really good ones such as Potty Racers or Bloons Tower Defense and I don't regret that.

Oh yeah, AddictingGames was a major part of my high school IT experience...ditto for bored.com. Those were also in the pre-Youtube days, when all the semi-funny stuff was to be found at Ebaum's World (where?). Sometimes the school blocked it, and sometimes they didn't. We also didn't have the right codecs, so half of the vids didn't work.

Man, 2004 and 2005 sort of sucked.

An honorable mention for the days when it was actually updated: homestarrunner.com. :)

• Upvote 1

Honestly, I think it's a better website name than it is an actual source of information or entertainment...but I know that a fair percentage of my generation swears by it. :)

There's a song by New Order called "True Faith." Perhaps you've heard it. It's basically about looking around and realizing that your life has become overtaken by an obsession/addiction that uses up all your time and provides only marginal comfort and happiness.

It doesn't take much to extend that sentiment to the Internet in general.

No, but that reminds me of a song called "Caledonia". Why? Because either the group or the album (I can't tell which) is called "Blind Faith." And this is not the "Blind Faith" ensemble with all those 60s guys, which I've never actually seen.

It's probably good that you've never seen that "ensemble with all those 60s guys."

Never heard of "Caledonia," but when I read that, I thought of "Caledonia Mission," by The Band.

Err...never heard of them.

The Band aren't that obscure...if you're a Dylan fan, they're almost as famous as the Beatles! Then again, one of my classmates described The Band as "a group that only ex-hippies and other potheads listen to." I can assure you that I fall into neither of those categories but enjoy them regardless.

Also, this is dangerously close to being my life; just replace the TV with a computer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hbp41_vlX0&feature=related