Sign in to follow this  
CamdenT

pi^2.dat's "the end of all time"

How does the level "the end of all time" from pi^2.dat work? I get that it takes some insanely long amount of time to solve, but how was the level designed to work in this way? It looks very complex and i can't seem to figure it out.

It's in pi.dat, by the way, and pieguy himself explains it quite nicely in the comments section of the pi.dat page:

this level is theoretically possible, but will take over 3.14*(10^20) years to complete. this happens because a glider reaches (30,27) only when all 10 clone buttons are simultaneously pressed, which happens every 97*101*103*107*109*113*127*128*131*133*135*137*139 = 968333183920508936927967360 steps, since those are the lengths of the paths of the fireballs, and they share no common factors. the 53rd glider to reach (30,27) will trigger the clone machine at (1,0) 66 steps after it is cloned. the first glider to reach (30,27) is cloned after 1 step, and it will take chip 2 steps to reach the exit after the clone machine is triggered, for a total of 1+52(968333183920508936927967360)+66+2 = 50353325563866464720254302789 steps. there are 5 steps in a second, 86400 seconds in a day, and 365.24 days in a year, for a total of 3.19*(10^20) years.
  • Upvote 1

So here's a question; what's the theoretically longest possible CC level? Assume that the player makes a good faith effort to solve the level (i.e. doesn't just stand in the same place for an infinitely long period of time), and assume that luck doesn't play a factor (like waiting for a blob to navigate a maze and hit a button or defuse a bomb).

Does "the end of all time" pretty much do the most you can given the grid size and game elements?

I don't know about Chip's Challenge, but I know that once I got a hold of the "boss template" in WarioWare DIY (which triggers a hidden setting that turns off the time limit in a microgame), I created a microgame where you win by waiting 311 minutes (on the slowest speed), and lose by tapping the stage. Essentially, a block travels slowly across the stage, and every time it completes a lap, a series of bits is incremented by 1. I soon figured out theoretical changes I could make to the microgame (since each object can have 4 pieces of artwork, I could make the digits base 4 instead of base 2, making the length longer than the expected lifetime of a DS). pieguy's technique of having things loop cycles of different lengths and waiting for them to coincide might be particularly useful for making a "the end of all time" microgame.

(Theoretically, it's possible to make a boss microgame in which nothing can possibly trigger a winning condition or a losing condition, which is almost certainly why Nintendo didn't make this functionality available to the public.)

It's in pi.dat, by the way, and pieguy himself explains it quite nicely in the comments section of the pi.dat page:

There's another one in pi^2 involving ice blocks.

There's another one in pi^2 involving ice blocks.

Yes, don't confuse "the end of all time" with "end of all time". Much like you shouldn't confuse "Avalanche" with the original "avalanche".

Haven't checked out how pi^2.dat #16 should work, but it does seem to be lacking a clear pi-signature.

the end of all time is and isn't possible - it is, in a way: but I doubt that a computer would last over 314 billion eons!

I was tempted to leave my Windows 98 laptop on for 3 years to solve it back in 2005, but it caused a fire so I decided not too.

Tell me you are joking...

the end of all time is and isn't possible - it is, in a way: but I doubt that a computer would last over 314 billion eons!

Particularly without a power outage!

I was tempted to leave my Windows 98 laptop on for 3 years to solve it back in 2005, but it caused a fire so I decided not too.

I hope this is a joke, because if it's not, I'd feel bad about laughing about it.

But...didn't you believe the hint? :P

On a vaguely similar note - when the "rumor" was floating around back in '01 or '02 that there was a secret level 150 in CC1 that was accessed by destroying all the water tiles but one in ON THE ROCKS and then drowning in the last water tile, I had my mom try it to see if it was true. :blink:

Couldn't that easily be disproved at the time by loading CHIPS.DAT in the editor and noticing that there is no level 150 in there?

Similarly, I thought the fractal generator from Lynx could be found as "level 150" in MS, so I thought I needed to either type in "MAND" or get 6,000,000 points to unlock it. :P

On a vaguely similar note - when the "rumor" was floating around back in '01 or '02 that there was a secret level 150 in CC1 that was accessed by destroying all the water tiles but one in ON THE ROCKS and then drowning in the last water tile, I had my mom try it to see if it was true. :blink:

Hahaha! And what did your mother say when she found out that it wasn't true?

Ah, Internet rumors. Cruel things, they can be.

For the longest time, there was a rumor surrounding a viral video that demonstrated that if you get all 121 stars in Super Mario Galaxy on Mario and Luigi, you would be able to download the game to your DS. It turns out the video was made by a professional animation-maker, and he managed to make it look just like the game itself. The rumor has since died because many people like me have tried this in an effort to complete the game 100% and found no DS version of the game at the end. Last time I checked, the video is still on YouTube though.

Couldn't that easily be disproved at the time by loading CHIPS.DAT in the editor and noticing that there is no level 150 in there?

Yes, but I guess I thought the level was that secret that it wouldn't show up in the editors... I was only 11 at the time, but I still should've known better. :P

Hahaha! And what did your mother say when she found out that it wasn't true?

I don't remember, but I suspect that she probably wasn't too surprised that it wasn't... Hopefully she at least listened to music or something to help pass the time... :D

If you play all the levels of CCLP3 in Lynx and beat them all without failing, Chuck will come to your house and give you a present.

I don't remember, but I suspect that she probably wasn't too surprised that it wasn't... Hopefully she at least listened to music or something to help pass the time... :D

That's true love right there. :)

I originally thought "maybe I'll leave my computer on for a while and come back, and that bomb will be gone and I can upload this video, it's probably only like, 2 hours long!" (Y)

If you play all the levels of CCLP3 in Lynx and beat them all without failing, Chuck will come to your house and give you a present.

If you donate certain amounts of money to the Chuck's Challenge project, something rather similar will happen. ;)

• Upvote 1

When I was young, I actually wondered if anything secret would happen if I filled in every single tile at On The Rocks (I'd never heard of the rumor before). One day I set out to try, and of course I fell in the water when I was halfway done. Never tried again, and I know nothing will happen anyway.

When I was young, I actually wondered if anything secret would happen if I filled in every single tile at On The Rocks (I'd never heard of the rumor before). One day I set out to try, and of course I fell in the water when I was halfway done. Never tried again, and I know nothing will happen anyway.

Urban legend holds that the secret level 150 can be reached by dying in the last water tile on ON THE ROCKS. Nowadays, we aren't noobs: so that isn't true...

(Y)

Well guys...

If you're still up for the challenge, there's an award for beating this level now.

I have no idea if Pieguy has solved it or not, but I'll ask him at some point. (Y)

We could kidnap pieguy's computer, and as ransom demand him to update the level to be solvable within a week, and then maybe some of us could get this award.

Edit: oh, and nobody has yet explained how the level actually works :P

Edited by M11k4