IceyLava108

What song are you listening to right now?

What song is everyone listening to as they are posting?

I'm listening to Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites by Skrillex.

So... as the title suggests: what song are you listening to right now?

Can't believe it took this long for someone to start this thread. :)

NP: Elvis Presley - Solitaire. If you don't like the King, odds are this won't change your mind. Even most Elvis fans seem to dislike it. I dunno. I <3 the Jungle Room sessions. :)

Some crappy Beauty and the Beast music (the movie is on in the background.)

I should put on some James Durbin and drown it out.

I'm not gonna lie: I dig the Beauty & The Beast soundtrack. Well, at least a good third of it...but that third is pure class!

Another bad movie song I'm fond of (and listening to now): Fun In Acapulco. I won't list the artist, because I've already exhibited a depressingly slavish devotion to the man's music...

I'm So Sick - Flyleaf (Y) *

I suppose I'll do what IceyLava is doing by putting a (Y) next to ones I like/recommend.

Beware: some of these i'll be posting are harder rock songs, such as the one above. I'll mark those ones with an asterik.

Also, some of them (as in a lot of them) will be christian songs, so if you don't like that, then whatever.

I'll also go with the thumbs-up emoticon for music that I recommend. You won't be seeing it very often, given that I'm self-aware enough to realize that my tastes aren't exactly, as the kids say, "hip." ;)

What A Waster - The Libertines

Cascada - Everytime We Touch

was a tuuuune back in't days

Eurotrash! Never goes out of style. :D

Unhinged - The Drams

Morning Morgantown - Joni Mitchell

(I'm guessing this won't be a popular choice in these parts, but we'll see...maybe that's me going on unfair stereotypes.)

Power of Omens - "Word on a Line"

Way too many amazing parts to name: the intro, the singer's high notes at 4:31, 4:48 and 5:05, and the entire instrumental section afterwards, but particularly the BASS and guitar countermelody at 5:41, the passionate guitar solo at 6:06, the mystical band unison from 7:06 (check out these antique keyboard tones) which climaxes so dramatically at 7:54, and then a seriously cool keyboard solo at 8:04 with a pretty BASS line over the top later on. I miss this band so much...they're from my home state, and I'm as proud of that as J.B. is proud of CCLP3. (Y)

I have had three beagles, and all I can say is Charles Schultz must have actually had a beagle.

My current one has even been seen on top of the dog house.

There used to be a beagle running farm near where I lived. I always thought of Snoopy when I passed it (who wouldn't?).

NP:

^Two days later, I'm still listening to the same song. Apparently one of the traits of autistic people is the ability to listen to the same song on repeat for hours (or days, or weeks) at a time. I am living proof of that! My neighbors must hate me. Well, at least I'm not on an "I Should Be So Lucky" binge right now...

^Two days later, I'm still listening to the same song. Apparently one of the traits of autistic people is the ability to listen to the same song on repeat for hours (or days, or weeks) at a time. I am living proof of that! My neighbors must hate me. Well, at least I'm not on an "I Should Be So Lucky" binge right now...

Okay, I'm not quite that bad, but I did once listen to "Friday I'm in Love" for, I think, two hours straight.

"Sowing the Seeds of Love" has been played for an hour straight as well.

Perhaps this autistic tendency only shows up in my tolerance for long musical recordings, sometimes exceeding two hours. By contrast, I find it torturous to sit through many books, which is something I've fallen short of explaining except by concluding that I have a deep personal, spiritual, and/or what have you, connection to music. No other medium seems to excite me as much. With that said, I still find listening to songs on repeat boring, and this erodes my appreciation for albums where all the songs sound alike or for bands without particularly distinctive styles. My Asperger's traits started to confuse me when I inspected them, and sometimes I still don't understand why my report seems so overall inconsistent. Perhaps it was when I started to think of myself less as developmentally disabled and viewed myself as normal that I became more normal, and in some ways, I'm still catching up, which could explain this inconsistency which music seems to display the most starkly. With time and grace, though, progress will be made. (We ought to make an autism spectrum disorder thread. In addition to the many of us who have come out, Chuck told me his son was on the spectrum.)

Dream Theater - Lifting Shadows off a Dream

A beautiful piece of work again, with such subtle BASS and guitar touches, a passionate vocal performance, and mysterious yet heartfelt lyrics about the comfort true, mutual love brings in our darkest times. "Awake" (1994) is an essential album for me; Zane, you need this (Y)

Dream Theater <3

This album, of the same name, is becoming extremely personal to me, as it is reflecting much of what I have been through in the past months and what I hope to accomplish with the rest of my life before moving onwards. One can interpret the album title as undergoing a rebirth: personal, spiritual or philosophical. This piece is probably the heaviest on the album, most definitely metal compared to the less heavy pieces I've previously posted. The vocalist is extremely talented and sings his throat out, rallying against the darkness that has overtaken the world; the guitar work, from sludgy riffs to crashing chords, a blistering solo at 3:52, and a fragile, hopeful coda at 5:37, is dynamic, crunchy and exciting; the drummer's lumbering hands and agile fills crash amidst the ruins in this battle for the future. Perhaps this explains the kind of music I appreciate the most; give this song a spin whoever you are. Images of Eden are inspired by forces I cannot comprehend.

Cracklin' Rosie - Neil Diamond. I cannot make any case for this song as an artistic statement, nor can I pretend that it's anything other than a fun listen. But fun listens are sometimes all you need...

Neil Diamond is hugely successful, but when your greatest lyrics are from I'm a Believer -- you're no Bruce Cockburn (if you don't know who that is, insert Bob Dylan).

Neil writes great pop lyrics in the sense that they're highly singable and perfectly complement his voice and melodies. If you're looking for meaning...well, that's what Townes Van Zandt and Dylan and Leonard Cohen are for.

Despite lacking guitars, BASS or drums, this song is an unforgettable ride. The processed piano scales, including some dissonances, combine with the desolate wind and electronic ambience and especially the torturous vocals for a despairingly bleak finish to a dystopian concept album for the ages. The sheer intensity and power the singer enlivens from 3:05 must be heard, and he's also impressive at softly fading away over the last minute. I'm buying this CD as soon as I can find another nice price on it, which I missed beforehand because I had another source for this album.

Sorry -- Art of Dying

Just when I think there's nothing new that I will like, someone surprises me :D. This is my first exposure to this band, while I gather they've existed for a while anyway. Somewhere between Shinedown and Seether, the simple strains of this pained anthem fit just right into my attitude. Now I'll have to explore what else this band has to offer -- hopefully a lot.

Threshold - Pilot in the Sky of Dreams

This song has grown on me so much, especially the vocal melodies and words, keyboards, and heavy, driving guitar riff. It's a progression through life and our dearest hopes to soar through the sky, damaged by our fears that our planes will drift off course and crash on the rocks. Who truly is there to keep us on course? It's a question we all have different answers to, but we know whoever keeps us afloat well, and daily have heartfelt exchanges like this. It's a line like this which cuts me deeply, why I love this intricate combination of intensity and sheer emotion. Even without words, there exist moments like the wrenching guitar solo at 8:22 which enliven the feeling.

"Did I promise you a sky where rain would never fall,

or did you listen to a lie?

Did you radio to base?

I waited for your call, but you left without a trace

But I can stop your plane from drifting out of range..."

Dolly Parton - Potential New Boyfriend.

It's Dolly. It's Dolly going disco. It's total 80's trash. It's perfect.

Not listening to a song right now, just in my head I'm listening to Heretic Anthem by Slipknot [will post link later]

Why can't I post it now? Oh I'm at school ;P

A Thing Called Love - Jerry Reed

(Not all country music sucks! Just that pop pap that gets passed off as "country.")

60's isn't old! To me nothing from the 20th century is really old.

Right now I'm listening to Love will tear us apart by Joy Division.

+1

I Can See For Miles - The Who

• Upvote 1

(Y)

Right now I'm listening One Step Forward - The Desert Rose Band

Blue on Black -- it annoys me that I can't think of the artist right now -- oh wait -- Kenny Wayne Shepard I believe.

As I begin typing, dr. Dre ft. Snoop Dogg - Still DRE is finishing up.

Now I'm listening to guns n roses - sweet child o' mine.

AH! I don't know why the song keeps changing when I type (coincidence, I guess).

KISS- Lick it up

and

LMFAO- I'm sexy and I know it

Call It What You Want - Foster The People

I was just about to say Gangnam Style myself, but that was yesterday.

My random alarm clock app picked Mario Kart 7 - Rainbow Road followed by a Chip01 remix on Snooze #1 (hey, it's CC related!) for this morning's alarm that makes sure I don't sleep for like 6 hours more than needed.

My alarm clock failed to wake me up this morning. 15 minutes late to job (Yay!)

Breaking the Habit - Linkin Park

On Melancholy Hill - Gorillaz

Sorry for double post, but there's interesting stuff you guys should listen to if you never did.

David Wise - Flight of the Zinger (DKC2)

Infected Mushroom - Dancing with Kadafi

Triple, huh? But it has to be bumped.

Grizzly Bear - Shields (album)

I instantly fell in love.

Oh damn that jazz one is so good, thanks for bringing back memories.

Lifter - Edgewater

*to YouTube*

Case #9001 of a pop song that features horrible lyrics sung by a questionably-talented-at-best performer, but still rises to the top of the charts because of a great instrumental written by somebody who almost never receives credit for their work except in the fine print. (not that starships weren't meant to fly or anything...)

Edited by James

Crazy Town - Butterfly (instrumental)

(Somewhere around 2:20 sounds like Mario hopping on Yoshi)

How'd you like that Lifter one Rock? (Y)

It's now in my rotation, so I liked it :)

Crazy Town - Butterfly (instrumental)

Stop making me discover stuff, guys!!!

Also, El Camino (the album) from The Black Keys