Sign in to follow this  
ChipHome5

Windows 3.1 inside DOSBox with MSCC... bringing back old times!

I just finished writing an easy to follow guide on how to setup up (wihtout installing any program on your PC) a full Windows 3.1 environment inside the portable version of the program DOSBox. This will let you run MSCC (and other BOWEP/WEP games) inside the old, but still great, Windows 3.1 system.

This is not only an interesting experiment for nostalgics since the use of DOSBox emulating Windows 3.1 is also one of the best ways to run 16 bit games such as MSCC in 64 bit operative systems (I've tested it solving all the CC1 levels from 1 to 10 and the games seems to run perfectly with no lag).

More details are available inside the guide, which can be found here: http://chiphome5.webs.com/MSCC_DosBox_HowTo.pdf

Note: always verify that the commands you write into DOSBox (you'll find them in the guide) are correct, since commands like 'mount c c:' (never execute this command) can cause several damages to your PC if used without knowing what they do!

I once executed DEL *.* on the root of the C: drive instead of in the subdirectory I intended. It actually deleted the partition -- took hours to get them back (and of course we had no backups.)

I've done this before, but sadly I don't have my 3.1 floppy. :( I have MSCC and TW2 on 2 different computers, so I'm good. Thanks for the tutorial anyway! :)