Sign in to follow this  
IceyLava108

Roman Numeral Challenge

You got mine wrong :P

The last two are VI, not IV.

The number was 1666. Coincidentally, that was the year the great fire of London occurred :/

With so many replies at once I must've read yours wrong. Sorry :(

IIII is perfectly legal for 4.

For tallies, yes. For Roman numerals, there is a rule that no more than three of the same numeral can be in a row.

So that's why 4 is VI, and 5 is V, and so on.

On Josh's first post, I corrected myself after I mistook his numeral for an invalid one.

Ok, that was where the misunderstanding occurred...

With so many replies at once I must've read yours wrong. Sorry :(

For tallies, yes. For Roman numerals, there is a rule that no more than three of the same numeral can be in a row.

So that's why 4 is VI, and 5 is V, and so on.

As mentioned before, it's not a "rule". It's a convenience of modern usage. Find a clock with roman numerals on the face and it will probably have IIII on the front.

As mentioned before, it's not a "rule". It's a convenience of modern usage. Find a clock with roman numerals on the face and it will probably have IIII on the front.

Whatever it is :P

You don't.

The Greeks and Romans had no concept of 0 as a number, which is interesting since it appears the Babylonians did.

It's really in the Hindu-Arabic system with place value that 0 becomes a number.

Question: If you can't have more than 3 of the same roman numeral in a row, how do you express 4,000 then?

Question: If you can't have more than 3 of the same roman numeral in a row, how do you express 4,000 then?

Answer: You CAN have 4. You just can't have 5. Also, only one of V, L and D.

And any number greater than MMMMDCCCCLXXXXVIIII isn't really expressible (although there have been some conventions made. M is supposed to denote a million, for example.)

When I was young I thought they were "Roman Numberals" which was just a fancy way of saying "Roman Numbers."

Lol. :P

LOL

I grew up with new math, but most people think number and numeral are the same thing.

Okay, I think MIM is not valid. But whatever.

IM = 999

It's representing 1,000 minus 1, which is 999, and the first M represents just 1,000.

1,000 + 999 = 1,999