geodave

Books You Should Read

I assume most of you have read the classics (as in Flatland, Stranger in a Strange Land, Dune and Necromancer). Here are some books you must read before you die:

Godel Escher Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas Hofstadter

Chaos: Making a New Science by James Glieck

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller, Jr.

Miracles by C. S. Lewis

What are your recommendations?

• Upvote 1

The complete Harry Potter series! (Y) (Y) (Y)

Also A Series of Unfortunate Events is a pretty good series of 13 books ;)

Undressing The Moon - Tammy Greenwood. Most beautiful book ever written. Frankly, most of the classics don't do it for me (exceptions: Catcher, Huck Finn, Tom Sawyer, Tolstoy stuff, Ender's Game).

If you're not too xenophobic and don't mind the slightly questionable English-Chinese translations in places, I recommend the Romance of the Three Kingdoms novels. They've been translated and reproduced in loads of versions since the original Chinese print by Luo Guanzhong in 1300-and-something, so some might be better translated than others.

For your more 'traditional' classics, go for anything by Orwell, Conrad or Bradbury. My choices would probably be Nineteen Eighty-Four, Heart Of Darkness and Fahrenheit 451 respectively.

Pretty much everything above. Currently I have been reading the Maze Runner series, and boy does it freak me out but it's also really fun. It starts out quite naturalistic, then becomes more technological as the story goes on and the environment everyone lives in appears to be fake.

All 8 of the Artemis Fowl books. They're all just epic (Y)

However, it may take a long time to get a hold of book 8. It just came out less than a week ago...

All 8 of the Artemis Fowl books. They're all just epic (Y)

However, it may take a long time to get a hold of book 8. It just came out less than a week ago...

+1, which one is your favourite? I think mine is probably The Opal Deception, or The Eternity Code. Have you ever tried translating all the funky runes on the bottom of each page? Pretty cool imo.

#8 is in the post for me (:

I bought 1984, Catch-22, Fahrenheit 451, Brave New World, and the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy recently.

WHAT SHOULD I READ FIRST?

Hitchhiker's, it's fun, not too long and easy to get into. Not to say the other's aren't good (heck I suggested some of them), just that Hitchhikers is the best one to start on.

+1, which one is your favourite? I think mine is probably The Opal Deception, or The Eternity Code. Have you ever tried translating all the funky runes on the bottom of each page? Pretty cool imo.

#8 is in the post for me (:

My favorite has to be The Eternity Code. I haven't read 7 or 8 yet, however we do own both. I'm re-reading the first 6 and then finishing off with the 2 I haven't read. And Yeah, I did translate them for the first book, but I haven't for any of the other ones. Book 8 has them too, in case you wanted to know :P

I wrote down their "alphabet" on a piece of paper somewhere years ago, so this means I'll have to try and find it somewhere at the back of a cupboard or something. Gosh, I'm feeling like a little kid again (: