Sign in to follow this  
geodave

The cake is a lie

By any means have you played Portal 1?

I am guessing no. That's where "the cake is a lie" is from.

This is because Chell (and you as Chell) believe there is a cake at the end of the last testchamber, 19. Instead you find out that you are being thrown into a fire pit heated to 4000 degrees kelvin! AH! Therefore the cake is a lie.

Also, GLaDOS, two plus two is not ten. It's five. Get your facts straight!!

James edit: Hid Portal 1 story spoilers ^

I installed Portal (for free), played the beginning a few times, and gave up. I think it would only be fun for me on a console and a big screen. I COULD hook my laptop up to the bigscreen, but, alas, I no longer have the computer with Portal on it. (I hear it's cheap now and I may try again.)

This same thing happened to me with Tron 2.0 -- although there the real problem was that I didn't have a proper controller, and the controls were wayyyyyyy to sensitive on the keyboard.

Be careful with your use of the word "Kelvin". There is no such thing as a "degree Kelvin" as one wouldn't say "degrees meters" or "degrees feet", right? So apparently the Kelvin guy was scientifically smarter than GLaDOS who makes this mistake...

Be careful with your use of the word "Kelvin". There is no such thing as a "degree Kelvin" as one wouldn't say "degrees meters" or "degrees feet", right? So apparently the Kelvin guy was scientifically smarter than GLaDOS who makes this mistake...

I'm not that familiar with "Kelvin" so I may use it incorrectly here and there. I'm wayy more familiar with Fahrenheit and Celsius :P

"Unlike the degree Fahrenheit and degree Celsius, the kelvin is not referred to or typeset as a degree."

"The singular "kelvin" should be used for any quantity of temperature (e.g., water freezes at 273.15 kelvin)."

"The omission of "degree" indicates that it is not relative to an arbitrary reference point like the Celsius and Fahrenheit scales...but rather an absolute unit of measure which can be manipulated algebraically (e.g., multiplied by two to indicate twice the amount of "mean energy" available among elementary degrees of freedom of the system)."

-Wikipedia

Oh fancy schmancy!!!

The part about it being "absolute" is true though. But the size of the degree (or Kelvin) is the same as Celsius -- it's still 100 from freezing to boiling.

"Degree" just means "increment". Semantics is so silly.

Yes, "a fire pit heated to 4000 degrees kelvin" should not use the word 'degrees', but you might refer to some amount of change in or comparison of temperature as degrees, even in Kelvin. Not that it matters too much around here...

I've had professors who advised using Wikipedia as a first stop when it came to research papers. Needless to say, those weren't the hardest classes to get a decent grade in.

TIL that Kelvin doesn't use "degrees." Yay for the Internet!

Also, all I know about "portal" is that it's an academic journal (and yes, the word is not capitalized).

For the record (not that it matters now), I've learned from numerous books that it's "Kelvin" and there's no degree anywhere there.

Also, I hope there's cake in Portal 2 :P