Sign in to follow this  
M11k4

When do you use the mouse?

When do you use the mouse?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you use the mouse to control Chip?

• Never, haven't even tried
    • Never, though have tested it
    • When it's a simple case and saves time
    • Only when reaching a score absolutely requires it
    • Any time it saves time on a competitive level
    • Sometimes even in non-competitive sets
    • What, you can also use the keyboard??

I've been wondering for a while if allowing the mouse to be used in competative play really is useful as a whole. If people enjoy using it somewhere else than just when it's absolutely needed to score high on a level in CC1 or CCLPn, then it should of course be allowed. In either case it does make it harder for new competative players to catch up with the rest :-) What do you think?

I almost never use it. I only use it when it's necessary to get the bold time, such as Debug File. And When I do use it, I use the fewest amounts of clicks possible.

Sorry about editing in an extra choice after JB or Ben already voted! Man you were fast!

(I added the third one, so his choice was originally the fourth one.)

edit: I guess it's fixed now, so don't mind this post.

Pieguy posted a similar topic at the NG a while back. I think the consensus that was eventually reached was that any mechanic in the game has the right to be exploited. Personally, I don't really think it adds a whole lot...

I only use it to get a bold time, which, in my case, has probably only been in Debug File. Though, a few months ago I found out that it could be used to easily reveal blue walls, but I never got the chance to practically use it.

I find it much easier just using the arrow keys than the mouse. I find the mouse clumbersome and more confusing overall, especially towards serious play.

Pieguy posted a similar topic at the NG a while back. I think the consensus that was eventually reached was that any mechanic in the game has the right to be exploited. Personally, I don't really think it adds a whole lot...

I think I was the only one arguing for the pro-mouse side of that argument :P The conclusion we reached, IIRC, was that the mouse would be allowed for CCLP3 (and of course CC1/CCLP2), and the issue would be tabled for future discussion before CCLP4.

My poll answer was "Only when reaching a score absolutely requires it", by the way.

I only use the mouse on that one CC1 level where it makes the dodging timing perfect.

Which one's that? I don't recall any level where that's the case...

Which one's that? I don't recall any level where that's the case...

Icehouse. There's a way to do it without the mouse obviously, but using the mouse makes Chip wait a half a move works quicker.

Icehouse. There's a way to do it without the mouse obviously, but using the mouse makes Chip wait a half a move works quicker.

Interesting. I must try this sometime.

Yeah, but back then I didn't have an opinion on the matter as I had never tried the mouse before. Now I have, and think that though it's not overly difficult to learn, it is an extra hurdle for new competative players and having less of those might encourage more competative play. The other big concern, is that Tile World doesn't emulate it perfectly, forcing some levels to be played in the original game. I did try to frame the original question more as some data to refer back to when we eventually pick up the topic before CCLP1 or CCLP4, rather than the discussion itself :-)

-Miika

Yeah, I remember, but back then (before CCLP3 came out) I didn't have an opinion on the matter. Here I wanted to gather some information on how players tend to use the mouse, if we revisit the topic before the next CCLP comes out. Overall it seems to me that if we could lower the learning curve even a bit for newer competitive players, we might have more people interested in playing competitively. Allowing the mouse basically creates artificial difficulty in competitive play, and optimizing levels is quite the task even without the mouse! Besides LFS (which isn't allowed to be exploited) we also are trying to weed out other weird behavior from future levels through better design, like avoiding the C/B glitch.

-Miika

Not quite. There's LFS (as Miika pointed out), and also the random number generator which is exploitable. Of course, TW doesn't have LFS, and it uses a different random number generator. Then again, it doesn't fully support the mouse mechanics either. My main argument against using the mouse was that it's a mechanic that adds almost no value to the game, but can easily and safely be ignored. I usually use it as a last resort (one exception is on Water Trap: I use a single mouse move to permit imperfect boosting).

I only use the mouse on "that one level" -- you know which one I mean -- where it's the perfect first move.

You have to use it on that one CCLP3 level, the name of which escapes me at the moment...

I played through CCLP3 twice and I never used the mouse once throughout the set....this stumbles me as well.

Isn't there one in which you begin surrounded by water, and you have to use the mouse to stay in the same place for a few seconds until a cloned block fills in a space of water next to you? Maybe it's not in CCLP3 and I'm just talking nonsense (or maybe there's another way around it).