nice video. I gotta say I love the music.

Are you/anyone planning on working on the graphics anytime soon? It still looks really simple in that area. But I do love the 3D effect. I like that it's not "too" 3D... not too angled at the edges (I don't know how else to word that)

Any chance of implementing a replay feature? What I mean is that if you die, you can have the game automatically play the game, controlling chip and replaying your movements up until you die and you can take over at any time. Thus negating all the hassle of playing a lengthy level over and over again.

nice video. I gotta say I love the music.

Are you/anyone planning on working on the graphics anytime soon? It still looks really simple in that area. But I do love the 3D effect. I like that it's not "too" 3D... not too angled at the edges (I don't know how else to word that)

Any chance of implementing a replay feature? What I mean is that if you die, you can have the game automatically play the game, controlling chip and replaying your movements up until you die and you can take over at any time. Thus negating all the hassle of playing a lengthy level over and over again.

Yeah, I'll do that.

I am not good at graphics :-(

I'll continue this game once I have retrieved my data from my hard drive.

Does that mean you are starting over from scratch?

And by the way, is this website still active: http://puzzlestudio.org ?

No I am not starting over from scratch. Just rewriting parts.

Also, I don't own that domain name, Chuck does, here's a whois of that ::

Domain ID:D148976283-LROR

Domain Name:PUZZLESTUDIO.ORG

Created On:27-Aug-2007 19:08:13 UTC

Last Updated On:06-Jul-2013 19:47:06 UTC

Expiration Date:27-Aug-2014 19:08:13 UTC

Sponsoring Registrar:Tucows Inc. (R11-LROR)

Registrant ID:tuqKynKD3z24tfym

Registrant Name:Chuck Sommerville

Registrant Organization:Led Effects

Registrant Street1:11390 Sunrise Gold Cir # 800

Registrant Street2:

Registrant Street3:

Registrant City:Rancho Cordova

Registrant State/Province:CA

Registrant Postal Code:95742

Registrant Country:US

Registrant Phone:+1.9163653415

Registrant Phone Ext.:

Registrant FAX:

Registrant FAX Ext.:

Registrant Email:puzzlestudio@gmail.com

Admin ID:tuOCv55fmfGlFpl2

Admin Name:Domain Direct

Admin Organization:Domain Direct

Admin Street1:96 Mowat Avenue

Admin Street2:

Admin Street3:

Admin City:Toronto

Admin State/Province:ON

Admin Postal Code:M6K3M1

Admin Country:CA

Admin Phone:+1.4165312084

Admin Phone Ext.:

Admin FAX:

Admin FAX Ext.:

Admin Email:admin-contact@domaindirect.net

Tech ID:tuZleb3MOvVIoCKp

Tech Name:Technical Contact

Tech Organization:Hover, a service of Tucows Inc.

Tech Street1:96 Mowat Avenue

Tech Street2:

Tech Street3:

Tech City:Toronto

Tech State/Province:ON

Tech Postal Code:M6K3M1

Tech Country:CA

Tech Phone:+1.4165385498

Tech Phone Ext.:

Tech FAX:+1.4163520113

Tech FAX Ext.:

Tech Email:help@hover.com

Name Server:NS1.DREAMHOST.COM

Name Server:NS2.DREAMHOST.COM

Name Server:NS3.DREAMHOST.COM

Name Server:

Name Server:

Name Server:

Name Server:

Name Server:

Name Server:

Name Server:

Name Server:

Name Server:

Name Server:

DNSSEC:Unsigned

I don't think that website is active

(Y)

will this game have multiple toggle doors? What I mean is instead of just 1 toggle door that works by 1 button effecting all doors, having multiple sets of doors of different colors or something. I think Chunk's Challenge has this. (Idk how many sets of doors)

(somewhat asking just to make a specific level I have in mind)

(Y)

will this game have multiple toggle doors? What I mean is instead of just 1 toggle door that works by 1 button effecting all doors, having multiple sets of doors of different colors or something. I think Chunk's Challenge has this. (Idk how many sets of doors)

(somewhat asking just to make a specific level I have in mind)

It already does.

When you select the toggle doors (and toggle button) in the parts menu of the editor, press the up arrow key to change the color.  There are four different colors, each one toggled by a button of the same color.

Also, the toggle doors on the third row are equivalent to those in CC1.  Those on the bottom row are activated only while the button is pressed.

(Y)

Those on the bottom row are activated only while the button is pressed.

wait, what do you mean by this? isn't that how CC1 works?

ah I see! that's cool.

I plan to try out your puzzle studio set btw. :)

-to uyjulian-

can I contribute with my (very humble) art skills? It looks like the graphics could still use some work. I can't promise anything but if you give me some information like what program would be best to use, how large the files must be and what file type and any color restrictions. Also I love the concept of having puzzle pieces as chips, I hope that stays

I doubt anyone can help me but I have a difficult time running the game because my stupid antivirus keeps removing one dll file without asking.

nevermind, got it. (Y)

ah I see! that's cool.

I plan to try out your puzzle studio set btw. :)

-to uyjulian-

can I contribute with my (very humble) art skills? It looks like the graphics could still use some work. I can't promise anything but if you give me some information like what program would be best to use, how large the files must be and what file type and any color restrictions. Also I love the concept of having puzzle pieces as chips, I hope that stays

I doubt anyone can help me but I have a difficult time running the game because my stupid antivirus keeps removing one dll file without asking.

nevermind, got it. (Y)

Yeah, feel free to edit the files with your favorite image editor.

When you have the modified image files send them to me.

I'm still working on compiling LuaGL, once that is done I hope everything will go smoothly.

I am impressed that this project has been brought back into attention. I was slightly involved with it back in 2008 or so, but at the time I was about 15-years old and had no experience with object oriented programming or LUA.

As for the puzzle pieces, they actually were chips in earlier buids. Chuck decided to change it to distinguish the game more from Chips Challenge, possibly to avoid any form of potential legal dispute. Most of the art was supposed to be preliminary, and the idea was to replace it with actual 3D models at some point.

One of the main ideas behind the engine was to have all blocks work as plugins. If you needed a very particular block for a puzzle, you would just code it in and included it along with the level file.

I am impressed that this project has been brought back into attention. I was slightly involved with it back in 2008 or so, but at the time I was about 15-years old and had no experience with object oriented programming or LUA.

As for the puzzle pieces, they actually were chips in earlier buids. Chuck decided to change it to distinguish the game more from Chips Challenge, possibly to avoid any form of potential legal dispute. Most of the art was supposed to be preliminary, and the idea was to replace it with actual 3D models at some point.

One of the main ideas behind the engine was to have all blocks work as plugins. If you needed a very particular block for a puzzle, you would just code it in and included it along with the level file.

Yeah saw the first post Chuck posted into the mailing list.

Also, it's Lua, not LUA hehe

Here's the changes I made to the engine:

• Removed unused code (there was lots of it)
  • I've switched the compiler from Micro$oft Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate toolkit to MinGW.
  • Switched IDEs from Micro$oft Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate to Code::Blocks. Bye bye that HUGE 30MB database file that was lurking around in my project directory!
  • Removed GLAux (a very, very old OpenGL library) and replaced it with SOIL (http://www.lonesock.net/soil.html)
  • Cleaned up most of the source code (removed the unneeded stuff, add proper spacing, and fix stuff that were causing errors with MinGW, for example, removed the redundent GLvoid args that contained them)
  • Engine loads much faster now thanks to MinGW compiler :-)
  • Lua upgraded to 5.2!

I think that's all I did to it.

TODO:

• remove old Lua OpenGL bindings
  • replace the Windows OpenGL context creator with GLFW (http://www.glfw.org/) for cross-platform compatibility
  • fix proteaAudio (it's the "proAudioRt.dll", it loads audio and plays it)

I think that is it... for now.

Notes for later:

clean up this CMakeLists.txt to add flags, etc (don't be win32 specific):

cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.8)
list(APPEND CMAKE_MODULE_PATH ${CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR}/cmake)
project(proteaAudio)
find_package(Lua51 5.2)
find_package(DSound)
add_definitions( "-D__WINDOWS_DS__" )
include_directories(rtaudio/ rtaudio/include/ ${LUA_INCLUDE_DIR})
add_library(proteaAudio STATIC proAudio.cpp proAudioRt.cpp stb_vorbis.c rtaudio/RtAudio.cpp)
add_library(proAudioRt MODULE proAudioRt_lua.cpp)
target_link_libraries(proAudioRt proteaAudio ${LUA_LIBRARIES} ${DSOUND_LIBRARIES} winmm.lib)

(if you want to help cleaning up the above, you can :-)

add this for the luaopen function in proAudioRt_lua.cpp to github:

luaL_newlib(L, funcs);

(this fixes a crash)

I'm going to put a beta release out: (outdated link)

To play and download Puzzle Studio, please visit this page for more information:

https://sites.google.com/site/awertyb/puzzle-studio

how close can the graphics be to CC1 or 2? Are there copyright problems with this? I notice the flippers and things are identical.
What I planned on doing first was addressing the monsters. It'd be nice to have them look like actual monsters. [i don't plan on making them look exactly the same, I'll have to see how I can do it or how it turns out]

an option to change the volume or turn off music would be nice. (I like the music a lot but don't always want it) Also there are no sounds; if I can find some sounds to use would like that as well?
I might look at some older games that nobody remembers; tell me if there are any copyright problems with that. I notice similar sounds used in adventure games quite often (but idk if that means anything). I probably won't be able to get ogg sounds though.

Can sounds or graphics from tileworld be used?

----

oh and I noticed a possible bug; when I pushed a bowling ball (is that what they're called?) onto a  trap, then pressed the button to release it, it didn't quite work right. It didn't move at first then the ball moved away without animation 1 square. Then I could seemingly move it again by pressing the button. Ask me if you want a more detailed explanation.

how close can the graphics be to CC1 or 2? Are there copyright problems with this? I notice the flippers and things are identical.

What I planned on doing first was addressing the monsters. It'd be nice to have them look like actual monsters. [i don't plan on making them look exactly the same, I'll have to see how I can do it or how it turns out]

an option to change the volume or turn off music would be nice. (I like the music a lot but don't always want it) Also there are no sounds; if I can find some sounds to use would like that as well?

I might look at some older games that nobody remembers; tell me if there are any copyright problems with that. I notice similar sounds used in adventure games quite often (but idk if that means anything). I probably won't be able to get ogg sounds though.

Can sounds or graphics from tileworld be used?

----

oh and I noticed a possible bug; when I pushed a bowling ball (is that what they're called?) onto a  trap, then pressed the button to release it, it didn't quite work right. It didn't move at first then the ball moved away without animation 1 square. Then I could seemingly move it again by pressing the button. Ask me if you want a more detailed explanation.

Yeah, give me any graphics/music, I don't mind until I get a takedown notice, which I will ignore nicely :-)

A new update is coming along :-)

I plan to do:

OpenGL extentions up to 2.0, you can finally make cool rendering now :-)

If you want to make some elements while I'm still working on the update, here's a thing to note:

C code:

glBegin();

becomes Lua code:

gl.Begin()

New font engine, uses bitmaps

More of the code moved to Lua

yeahh.

I don't understand why I can't move right in Puzzle Studio at all. Is this a bug or has it not been coded into the game yet?

Like, move in the --> direction?

Are you sure your right key isn't broke?

Use the arrow keys not WASD.