I saw a page on the wiki saying there's a thread in these forums on Puzzle Studio. It linked to what I think is its old location, however, and I couldn't find one here (via search box)....

So, uhmm, how's the progress?

I haven't added a Puzzle Studio forum yet. So, it's the project still alive or has it been abandoned in favour of Chuck's Challenge 3D now?

Depends.

I'll still work on it when I have access to computers with git installed.

You should learn Lua. It's easy for me. It took me 1 week to learn.

Would the same go for some one who doesn't know any programming languages? I take it its not like a reuglar/or full fledged language?

I wouldn't mind learning about this 'git' and stuff. (heh I have no idea what this is but I have downloaded puzzle studio a long time ago and checked it out a little). Is there a place to discuss aspects of it? Like what kind of features we'd like or dislike..

Is there a place to discuss aspects of it? Like what kind of features we'd like or dislike..

Why not here?

okay, dumb question on my part.

here are some ideas I thought of which I don’t know are good or not without testing

-teleporter connection being selectable. In other words, instead of teleporters always going in reverse reading order, the level designer can decide where they go.

-(I saw this on that video of the canceled official CC2) blocks that can only be pushed in one or two directions (horizontally, vertically)

-chips over water, ice, fire. etc. Pretty much a lot the “invalid” tiles [the things that are logical anyway, if that makes sense…] If a chip can be placed on water, and chip doesn’t have flippers should he be able to get the chip or not?

-(I saw this on that video of the canceled official CC2) blocks that can only be pushed in one or two directions (horizontally, vertically)

I'm guessing you mean this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywG8J-v0F-M

-chips over water, ice, fire. etc. Pretty much a lot the “invalid” tiles [the things that are logical anyway, if that makes sense…] If a chip can be placed on water, and chip doesn’t have flippers should he be able to get the chip or not?

The video has an example of chips on recessed walls (0:45-0:50) and a key on water (~1:20).

1.Puzzle studio is 3D-like game, it's cool, but all of its 3D graphic is paste 6 same 2D images to an cubic, some time it make player confusing especially the blocks with arrows. when a bunch of 3D block accumulate together , it's hard to distinguish their borders。

2.The map during play is about 10*10, you have to patrol the level ,many times to catch the whole scene, it's too small comparing to level size which is up to 32*32.

Would the same go for some one who doesn't know any programming languages? I take it its not like a reuglar/or full fledged language?

I wouldn't mind learning about this 'git' and stuff. (heh I have no idea what this is but I have downloaded puzzle studio a long time ago and checked it out a little). Is there a place to discuss aspects of it? Like what kind of features we'd like or dislike..

it's an object orenated language, it's easy to learn.

1.Puzzle studio is 3D-like game, it's cool, but all of its 3D graphic is paste 6 same 2D images to an cubic, some time it make player confusing especially the blocks with arrows. when a bunch of 3D block accumulate together , it's hard to distinguish their borders。

2.The map during play is about 10*10, you have to patrol the level ,many times to catch the whole scene, it's too small comparing to level size which is up to 32*32.

it's so people with big tv screens can't cheat

okay, dumb question on my part.

here are some ideas I thought of which I don’t know are good or not without testing

-teleporter connection being selectable. In other words, instead of teleporters always going in reverse reading order, the level designer can decide where they go.

if you want, program it, it's open source

Is something about LUA?I'like to learn

git is a program that lets you easily manage open-source things.

EDIT: fixed the 2 i

it's so people with big tv screens can't cheat

But if we decide to add some new elements, like lasers, jump box, sticky blocks and others like big circuits , the map displayed seems too small. If people have large screen, the "big tile" may cause people dizzy. we have big screens and high resolution than past, why not make full use of it?

But if we decide to add some new elements, like lasers, jump box, sticky blocks and others like big circuits , the map displayed seems too small. If people have large screen, the "big tile" may cause people dizzy. we have big screens and high resolution than past, why not make full use of it?

well if you want, you should fork it and do it myself, i'm not good at opengl stuff

For PS stuff, you might want to talk to Joshua Bone - I know he's been working on a version of it himself.

Update: no dice in compiling Puzzle Studio for mac.

and it took me a while to discover it uses WIN_API or whatever it's called.

New features coming!

- Music Randomizer

- Music on choose level

- Save/load dialog will save the name of the last level you loaded!

I probably forgot other features/bugfixes I did, but at least it's coming!

EDIT1:

Also, some of these bugs still exist:

- Sometimes game runs faster or slower

- Bombs + lasers cause brief black screen

- Delay when loading music

- Sometimes the mouse sticks which will cause you to mess up your level in the editor (I don't know how to fix this :/)

God, the glitches I'm having with the editor are soo annoying...

At least I found out how to fix one of them...

If someone can code an proper editor, I will give credit and include it in the puzzlestudio download!

Also, who wants to work on models/textures? Say that you do if you want to!

Muscle through it! This won't be the last, or the hardest, obstacle you end up facing. I really really like what you've got so far. It's good.

• Upvote 2

Hey guys!

Guess what?

I have added new blocks in Puzzle Studio!

I will upload the update to mediafire and git soon! Hold on!

But I was not able to figure out the editor. Is it functional yet?

yes, it is

press f1 for help

EDIT: in the editor press f1

So the CopyCat is like the yellow tank in CC2? To me, the name suggested it'd be more like the mimic (also CC2).

So the CopyCat is like the yellow tank in CC2? To me, the name suggested it'd be more like the mimic (also CC2).

yeah like the yellow tank in cc2

did you know you can contribute too? just learn some lua, fork my repertory, and pull request after you are done changing :)

Again, I've got to ask - have you tried contacting Joshua Bone about this and working with him? From what he told me, he's (secretly) brought this thing pretty far along by himself...it might be a bit easier on you. :)

Also, please avoid making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread within such a short amount of time. It would be much appreciated.

Edited by jblewis

Again, I've got to ask - have you tried contacting Joshua Bone about this and working with him? From what he told me, he's (secretly) brought this thing pretty far along by himself...it might be a bit easier on you. :)

Also, please avoid making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread within such a short amount of time. It would be much appreciated.

1. i know

2. oh.

EDIT: plan for new minic :)

I'm planning to create some levels with this. Still, I don't know how it works, especially the new tiles :P

Try experimenting. That's how I learned how most of the tiles work.

nice video. I gotta say I love the music.

Are you/anyone planning on working on the graphics anytime soon? It still looks really simple in that area. But I do love the 3D effect. I like that it's not "too" 3D... not too angled at the edges (I don't know how else to word that)

Any chance of implementing a replay feature? What I mean is that if you die, you can have the game automatically play the game, controlling chip and replaying your movements up until you die and you can take over at any time. Thus negating all the hassle of playing a lengthy level over and over again.

nice video. I gotta say I love the music.

Are you/anyone planning on working on the graphics anytime soon? It still looks really simple in that area. But I do love the 3D effect. I like that it's not "too" 3D... not too angled at the edges (I don't know how else to word that)

Any chance of implementing a replay feature? What I mean is that if you die, you can have the game automatically play the game, controlling chip and replaying your movements up until you die and you can take over at any time. Thus negating all the hassle of playing a lengthy level over and over again.

Yeah, I'll do that.

I am not good at graphics :-(

I'll continue this game once I have retrieved my data from my hard drive.

Does that mean you are starting over from scratch?

And by the way, is this website still active: http://puzzlestudio.org ?

No I am not starting over from scratch. Just rewriting parts.

Also, I don't own that domain name, Chuck does, here's a whois of that ::

Domain ID:D148976283-LROR

Domain Name:PUZZLESTUDIO.ORG

Created On:27-Aug-2007 19:08:13 UTC

Last Updated On:06-Jul-2013 19:47:06 UTC

Expiration Date:27-Aug-2014 19:08:13 UTC

Sponsoring Registrar:Tucows Inc. (R11-LROR)

Registrant ID:tuqKynKD3z24tfym

Registrant Name:Chuck Sommerville

Registrant Organization:Led Effects

Registrant Street1:11390 Sunrise Gold Cir # 800

Registrant Street2:

Registrant Street3:

Registrant City:Rancho Cordova

Registrant State/Province:CA

Registrant Postal Code:95742

Registrant Country:US

Registrant Phone:+1.9163653415

Registrant Phone Ext.:

Registrant FAX:

Registrant FAX Ext.:

Registrant Email:puzzlestudio@gmail.com

Admin ID:tuOCv55fmfGlFpl2

Admin Name:Domain Direct

Admin Organization:Domain Direct

Admin Street1:96 Mowat Avenue

Admin Street2:

Admin Street3:

Admin City:Toronto

Admin State/Province:ON

Admin Postal Code:M6K3M1

Admin Country:CA

Admin Phone:+1.4165312084

Admin Phone Ext.:

Admin FAX:

Admin FAX Ext.:

Admin Email:admin-contact@domaindirect.net

Tech ID:tuZleb3MOvVIoCKp

Tech Name:Technical Contact

Tech Organization:Hover, a service of Tucows Inc.

Tech Street1:96 Mowat Avenue

Tech Street2:

Tech Street3:

Tech City:Toronto

Tech State/Province:ON

Tech Postal Code:M6K3M1

Tech Country:CA

Tech Phone:+1.4165385498

Tech Phone Ext.:

Tech FAX:+1.4163520113

Tech FAX Ext.:

Tech Email:help@hover.com

Name Server:NS1.DREAMHOST.COM

Name Server:NS2.DREAMHOST.COM

Name Server:NS3.DREAMHOST.COM

Name Server:

Name Server:

Name Server:

Name Server:

Name Server:

Name Server:

Name Server:

Name Server:

Name Server:

Name Server:

DNSSEC:Unsigned

I don't think that website is active

(Y)

will this game have multiple toggle doors? What I mean is instead of just 1 toggle door that works by 1 button effecting all doors, having multiple sets of doors of different colors or something. I think Chunk's Challenge has this. (Idk how many sets of doors)

(somewhat asking just to make a specific level I have in mind)

(Y)

will this game have multiple toggle doors? What I mean is instead of just 1 toggle door that works by 1 button effecting all doors, having multiple sets of doors of different colors or something. I think Chunk's Challenge has this. (Idk how many sets of doors)

(somewhat asking just to make a specific level I have in mind)

It already does.

When you select the toggle doors (and toggle button) in the parts menu of the editor, press the up arrow key to change the color.  There are four different colors, each one toggled by a button of the same color.

Also, the toggle doors on the third row are equivalent to those in CC1.  Those on the bottom row are activated only while the button is pressed.

(Y)

Those on the bottom row are activated only while the button is pressed.

wait, what do you mean by this? isn't that how CC1 works?

ah I see! that's cool.

I plan to try out your puzzle studio set btw. :)

-to uyjulian-

can I contribute with my (very humble) art skills? It looks like the graphics could still use some work. I can't promise anything but if you give me some information like what program would be best to use, how large the files must be and what file type and any color restrictions. Also I love the concept of having puzzle pieces as chips, I hope that stays

I doubt anyone can help me but I have a difficult time running the game because my stupid antivirus keeps removing one dll file without asking.

nevermind, got it. (Y)

ah I see! that's cool.

I plan to try out your puzzle studio set btw. :)

-to uyjulian-

can I contribute with my (very humble) art skills? It looks like the graphics could still use some work. I can't promise anything but if you give me some information like what program would be best to use, how large the files must be and what file type and any color restrictions. Also I love the concept of having puzzle pieces as chips, I hope that stays

I doubt anyone can help me but I have a difficult time running the game because my stupid antivirus keeps removing one dll file without asking.

nevermind, got it. (Y)

Yeah, feel free to edit the files with your favorite image editor.

When you have the modified image files send them to me.

I'm still working on compiling LuaGL, once that is done I hope everything will go smoothly.

I am impressed that this project has been brought back into attention. I was slightly involved with it back in 2008 or so, but at the time I was about 15-years old and had no experience with object oriented programming or LUA.

As for the puzzle pieces, they actually were chips in earlier buids. Chuck decided to change it to distinguish the game more from Chips Challenge, possibly to avoid any form of potential legal dispute. Most of the art was supposed to be preliminary, and the idea was to replace it with actual 3D models at some point.

One of the main ideas behind the engine was to have all blocks work as plugins. If you needed a very particular block for a puzzle, you would just code it in and included it along with the level file.

I am impressed that this project has been brought back into attention. I was slightly involved with it back in 2008 or so, but at the time I was about 15-years old and had no experience with object oriented programming or LUA.

As for the puzzle pieces, they actually were chips in earlier buids. Chuck decided to change it to distinguish the game more from Chips Challenge, possibly to avoid any form of potential legal dispute. Most of the art was supposed to be preliminary, and the idea was to replace it with actual 3D models at some point.

One of the main ideas behind the engine was to have all blocks work as plugins. If you needed a very particular block for a puzzle, you would just code it in and included it along with the level file.

Yeah saw the first post Chuck posted into the mailing list.

Also, it's Lua, not LUA hehe

Here's the changes I made to the engine:

• Removed unused code (there was lots of it)
  • I've switched the compiler from Micro$oft Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate toolkit to MinGW.
  • Switched IDEs from Micro$oft Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate to Code::Blocks. Bye bye that HUGE 30MB database file that was lurking around in my project directory!
  • Removed GLAux (a very, very old OpenGL library) and replaced it with SOIL (http://www.lonesock.net/soil.html)
  • Cleaned up most of the source code (removed the unneeded stuff, add proper spacing, and fix stuff that were causing errors with MinGW, for example, removed the redundent GLvoid args that contained them)
  • Engine loads much faster now thanks to MinGW compiler :-)
  • Lua upgraded to 5.2!

I think that's all I did to it.

TODO:

• remove old Lua OpenGL bindings
  • replace the Windows OpenGL context creator with GLFW (http://www.glfw.org/) for cross-platform compatibility
  • fix proteaAudio (it's the "proAudioRt.dll", it loads audio and plays it)

I think that is it... for now.

Notes for later:

clean up this CMakeLists.txt to add flags, etc (don't be win32 specific):

cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.8)
list(APPEND CMAKE_MODULE_PATH ${CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR}/cmake)
project(proteaAudio)
find_package(Lua51 5.2)
find_package(DSound)
add_definitions( "-D__WINDOWS_DS__" )
include_directories(rtaudio/ rtaudio/include/ ${LUA_INCLUDE_DIR})
add_library(proteaAudio STATIC proAudio.cpp proAudioRt.cpp stb_vorbis.c rtaudio/RtAudio.cpp)
add_library(proAudioRt MODULE proAudioRt_lua.cpp)
target_link_libraries(proAudioRt proteaAudio ${LUA_LIBRARIES} ${DSOUND_LIBRARIES} winmm.lib)

(if you want to help cleaning up the above, you can :-)

add this for the luaopen function in proAudioRt_lua.cpp to github:

luaL_newlib(L, funcs);

(this fixes a crash)

I'm going to put a beta release out: (outdated link)

To play and download Puzzle Studio, please visit this page for more information:

https://sites.google.com/site/awertyb/puzzle-studio

how close can the graphics be to CC1 or 2? Are there copyright problems with this? I notice the flippers and things are identical.
What I planned on doing first was addressing the monsters. It'd be nice to have them look like actual monsters. [i don't plan on making them look exactly the same, I'll have to see how I can do it or how it turns out]

an option to change the volume or turn off music would be nice. (I like the music a lot but don't always want it) Also there are no sounds; if I can find some sounds to use would like that as well?
I might look at some older games that nobody remembers; tell me if there are any copyright problems with that. I notice similar sounds used in adventure games quite often (but idk if that means anything). I probably won't be able to get ogg sounds though.

Can sounds or graphics from tileworld be used?

----

oh and I noticed a possible bug; when I pushed a bowling ball (is that what they're called?) onto a  trap, then pressed the button to release it, it didn't quite work right. It didn't move at first then the ball moved away without animation 1 square. Then I could seemingly move it again by pressing the button. Ask me if you want a more detailed explanation.

how close can the graphics be to CC1 or 2? Are there copyright problems with this? I notice the flippers and things are identical.

What I planned on doing first was addressing the monsters. It'd be nice to have them look like actual monsters. [i don't plan on making them look exactly the same, I'll have to see how I can do it or how it turns out]

an option to change the volume or turn off music would be nice. (I like the music a lot but don't always want it) Also there are no sounds; if I can find some sounds to use would like that as well?

I might look at some older games that nobody remembers; tell me if there are any copyright problems with that. I notice similar sounds used in adventure games quite often (but idk if that means anything). I probably won't be able to get ogg sounds though.

Can sounds or graphics from tileworld be used?

----

oh and I noticed a possible bug; when I pushed a bowling ball (is that what they're called?) onto a  trap, then pressed the button to release it, it didn't quite work right. It didn't move at first then the ball moved away without animation 1 square. Then I could seemingly move it again by pressing the button. Ask me if you want a more detailed explanation.

Yeah, give me any graphics/music, I don't mind until I get a takedown notice, which I will ignore nicely :-)

A new update is coming along :-)

I plan to do:

OpenGL extentions up to 2.0, you can finally make cool rendering now :-)

If you want to make some elements while I'm still working on the update, here's a thing to note:

C code:

glBegin();

becomes Lua code:

gl.Begin()

New font engine, uses bitmaps

More of the code moved to Lua

yeahh.

I don't understand why I can't move right in Puzzle Studio at all. Is this a bug or has it not been coded into the game yet?

Like, move in the --> direction?

Are you sure your right key isn't broke?

Use the arrow keys not WASD.

Puzzle Studio.. is almost cross platform :-)

I removed all the windows-specific stuff.

Now just need to

make a replacement for the timer,

make a file browser

iron out some of the bugs

Then I'll make another release :-)

Something in my image loading code is crashing the program... I wonder what it is..

What is this timer?  Is it a way to set a time limit for the levels?

And why do you need to make a file browser?  Can't you make it use the file browser that comes pre-installed with the operating system?

What is this timer?  Is it a way to set a time limit for the levels?

And why do you need to make a file browser?  Can't you make it use the file browser that comes pre-installed with the operating system?

The timer calls a function every 10 miliseconds so the game will run the same speed even if your computer is faster or slower.

In order to make the code portable I need to add cross-platform code for the file browser and dialog boxes.

The timer calls a function every 10 miliseconds so the game will run the same speed even if your computer is faster or slower.

In order to make the code portable I need to add cross-platform code for the file browser and dialog boxes.

That timer sounds like a really nice feature!

I really didn't think that porting the game would be so hard...

I don't understand why I can't move right in Puzzle Studio at all. Is this a bug or has it not been coded into the game yet?

I have the same problem. Nothing happens when I press the 'right' arrow key.

I have the same problem. Nothing happens when I press the 'right' arrow key.

What keyboard layout do you have? Mine is US (English).

I just can't figure out this error:

¼p: [string "¼..."]:1: '=' expected near 'char(27)'

Aah, figured out why.

Lua doesn't like unicode.

Also, can't figure out why I can't get text to properly render: https://i.imgbomb.com/3QYwR.png

And I still need a timer. Ugh windows!

Well, I now have a working timer.

But now I am getting this error e_e after I enable GL debugging...

render(): ps/library/gl.lua:43: glEnd: GL_INVALID_OPERATION: The specified operation is not allowed in the current state.

Man, these vague errors.

Okay, I figured out why I am getting OpenGL errors.

I need to add these code:

glfwWindowHint(GLFW_CONTEXT_VERSION_MAJOR, 2);
glfwWindowHint(GLFW_CONTEXT_VERSION_MINOR, 0);
glfwWindowHint(GLFW_OPENGL_PROFILE, GLFW_OPENGL_ANY_PROFILE);

glfwWindowHint(GLFW_RESIZABLE, GL_FALSE);

//then create GLFW window

I reformatted my Windows XP computer (it was getting very slow) so updates may not come in a while.

Okay, I have archived the yahoo group message and files.

I just need to clean up the messages (ugly yahoo interface!!!!!) then upload.

Looks like I'll have to learn a whole new rendering system...

GLFW error: NSGL: The targeted version of OS X only supports OpenGL 3.2 and later versions if they are forward-compatible

Okay, I tried Puzzle Studio in Wine, and now I have this right arrow key problem...

How to fix, how to fix...

EDIT:Fixed the problem!

I know it's been a while but I'd still like to work on the graphics a little. Would it be possible to use some of the graphics from TileWorld? I'm talking mostly about the enemies here. I'd like to make new graphics for other things like doors, and green slime.

Also the player character, I'd like to make my own but don't garentee that will work out. Using the tileworld graphic would be really nice and easy.

I hope your still working on this.

I know it's been a while but I'd still like to work on the graphics a little. Would it be possible to use some of the graphics from TileWorld? I'm talking mostly about the enemies here. I'd like to make new graphics for other things like doors, and green slime.

Also the player character, I'd like to make my own but don't garentee that will work out. Using the tileworld graphic would be really nice and easy.

I hope your still working on this.

I'm still working on this, I'm cleaning up the code right now (however school started so it may take longer)

All right, I'm back, and I have cleaned up the Puzzle Studio code quite a bit, woo~!

WIP features:

Audio loads faster

Cross Platform (play on Linux or Mac)

Multiple levels in one file

Configure file

High score saving system

Convert chips.dat into a Puzzle Studio level file (Chuck's Challenge can't do this!)

A lot of stuff moved out of the engine and into the .lua files

This should make for a nice, nice treat!

Also, I have been reading the yahoo mailing list archives, couldn't see if it was released into the public domain, released under a license such as BSD/GPL, or etc.

Feature roundup:

• JSON format now used for level saving (instead of Lua), safer and faster
  • Most of the old OpenGL functions have been removed (bye bye glBegin!)
  • Removed music (it just made the program load longer)
  • More stuff removed from the engine and into the .lua files
  • GLU removed
  • Win32 functions mostly removed (still got the message boxes and the file chooser)
  • Switched to GLFW
  • Now requires Freetype (no longer uses Win32 font functions)
  • Stopped using strings for the directions, so you won't get the bug where you can't go right anymore
  • "Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience"

Todo:

• Multiple levels in one file (aka "levelset")
  • Fix crashing bug on Mac

This release isn't out yet, because I need to test it more.

What will happen to Puzzle Studio now that CC2 is going to get released?

Don't worry, I'm still working on it in my spare time :-)

I implemented most of the CC2 elements now, but I want to make sure it works on Windows, Mac and Linux (since I'm programming it entirely in Lua (with ffi) now, no more native code)

Also, I have a Chip's Challenge level importer, but I'm not going to release that yet.

Oh, and I'm going to push out an bugfixed release, which fixes problems moving east.

I'll only put out bugfixed releases, at least for the time being.

Edit: here's the bugfixed release: https://github.com/uyjulian/PuzzleStudio/releases/download/v1.1/PuzzleStudio.zip

• Upvote 1

I decided to stress test my new engine.

b70ha.png

Even through the entire map was covered in boulders, I still managed to maintain a playable framerate (about 30FPS at 100% CPU)!

Before, it was just basically unplayable (at like 1FPS)

I think the optimizations over the last two years I did were worth it. Oh, and I learned a TON of things in the process, too.

Oh, and here's a video:

https://youtu.be/E8tVAfzJi4c