quiznos00

Pointless CC Trivia Thread

Post facts about the games that no one would ever need to know HERE! I'll start.

In CC1, Chip's starting direction is north in 0 levels, east in 1 level, west in 3 levels, and south in 145 levels. In CC1 for Lynx, Chip always starts south.

The last monsters of CC1 are two gliders, at the end of Cake Walk.

The last monsters of CCLP2 are four pink balls circling around the exit room, at the end of Key Color.

The last monsters of CCLP3 are a teeth and a blob in front of fire boots, above a hint that copies Paranoia's, at the end of Mr. McCallahan Presents.

Number of levels without blocks in CC1 - 75

Number of levels without blocks in CCLP2 - 53

Number of levels without blocks in CCLP3 - 17

Monster make their first debut in CC1 in

• LESSON 2 (#2): bugs, blocks (lynx considers blocks monsters)
  • LESSON 4 (#4): tanks
  • LESSON 5 (#5): fireballs, pink balls, gliders
  • LESSON 8 (#8): teeth
  • NICE DAY (#17): walkers
  • BLOBNET (#23): blobs (obviously)
  • CHCHCHIPS (#26): paramecia

They make their final appearance in CC1 in

• MIX UP (#132): teeth
  • BLOBDANCE (#133): blobs (clearly)
  • PAIN (#134): gliders
  • TRUST ME (#135): tanks
  • GOLDKEY (#137): bugs, pink balls
  • PARTIAL POST (#138): blocks
  • YORKHOUSE (#139): walkers
  • UNDERGROUND (#141): paramecia
  • FIREFLIES (#144): fireballs

After the fake last level:

• Thanks to... (#145, MS only): bugs, paramecia
  • CAKE WALK (#146): tanks, fireballs, pink balls, gliders
  • SPECIAL (#149): blocks

In CC1, only six levels (seven in MS) have random force floors: FLOORGASBORG (#40), GRAIL (#54), SCOUNDREL (#60), CATACOMBS (#99), ALPHABET SOUP (#120), Thanks to... (#145), and CAKE WALK (#146).

In CC1's GRAIL (level 54), there are three ways to exit, using either a green, red, or yellow key. There is also a blue door, but no blue key exists on the level.

All TRUST ME (CC1 #135) yellow key locations:

(0,0)

(31,0)

(6,6)

(17,6)

(4,7)

(10,9)

(13,9)

(15,9)

(30,10)

(17,11)

(3,17)

(8,19)

(0,20)

(7,20)

(9,20)

(9,23)

(23,23)

(24,23)

(25,23)

(23,24)

(24,24)

(25,24)

(13,25)

(18,25)

(23,25)

(24,25)

(25,25)

(12,26)

(18,30)

(0,31)

(17,31)

(28,31)

(29,31)

(30,31)

(31,31)

There are 8 levels in CC1 with a total absence of blank tiles, and they are:

16 - Cellblocked

39 - Glut

61 - Rink

67 - Chipmine

80 - Vanishing Act

105 - Short Circuit

142 - Pentagram

147 - Force Field

Starting tiles don't count as blank tiles, even after Chip has stepped off them. If they did, Vanishing Act, Pentagram and Force Field would be the only levels still on this list (In Vanishing act he starts on Dirt, in Pentagram he starts on a S Thin Wall, in Force Field, Chip starts on an East FF.)

Monster make their first appearance in CCLP2 in

• A Fleeting Memory (#1): tanks
  • Naomi's Bug Collection (#2): bugs, gliders, blocks
  • Bea's Den (#3): pink balls, blobs
  • Fixing the Toggle Switch (#6): fireballs
  • Double Trouble (#17): paramecia
  • A Sample of Things to Come (#19): teeth, walkers

and their last appearance in CCLP2 in

• Trapped (#143): walkers, paramecia, bugs, blobs, tanks
  • Wormwood (#144): fireballs, teeth, gliders, pink balls, blocks

After the fake last level:

• Gauntlet (#145): paramecia, walkers
  • Run-a-Muck (#146): teeth
  • Neptune (#148): tanks, gliders
  • Key Color (#149): pink balls, fireballs, bugs, blobs, blocks

They first appear in CCLP3 in

• Entrance Examination (#1): bugs, walkers, teeth, fireballs, tanks, blocks
  • A Walk in the Park (#3): pink balls, gliders
  • Dancing Gliders (#7): paramecia
  • Two Sets of Rules (#16): blobs

and last appear in

• You Can't Teach an Old Frog New Tricks (#144)

after the fake last level:

• Suspended animation (#146): walkers
  • Mr. McCallahan Presents (#149): all but walkers

The Last Laugh (52) is the only CC1 level that requires only 2 chips to exit.

In CC1, there are a total of 1,248 blocks. None of which are block cloning machines.

Official Levels with odd time limits:

CC1:

Level 31 (Knot) - 29

Level 60 (Scoundrel) - 294

Level 70 (Nightmare) - 199

Level 96 (Paranoia) - 399

Level 99 (Catacombs) - 399

Level 110 (Chiller) - 399

Level 123 (The Prisoner) - 299

CCLP2:

Level 10 (Who Needs a Flipper) - 399

Level 46 (Hurry Up, Chip!) - 95

Level 48 (And then there were... Four? - 159

Level 73 (Bumble Boy) - 279

Level 99 (One Block Sokoban) - 372

Level 107 (Joyride I) - 26

CCLP3:

Level 9 (Redoubled Effort) - 175

Level 17 (Lot in Life) - 125

Level 32 (Pearl Diving) - 225

Level 65 (Countdown) - 125

Level 93 (Shattered) - 95

I think he means unusual time limits. :P

This is what I meant. And yes, the CCLP3 ones are odd. I wouldn't make a time limit end in a 5...

This is what I meant. And yes, the CCLP3 ones are odd. I wouldn't make a time limit end in a 5...

I would...

That's too subjective, anyway. Perhaps it should say "Official Levels with time limits not divisible by 10".

CC1's OPEN QUESTION (level 113)'s hint is spelled wrong ("eigth", eighth*)

Perhaps the hint is correct and everyone else just writes it wrong?

Pointless trivia: the number of exits visible from the beginning of a level in CC1 is divisible by the number of levels in CC1 with multiple exits visible from the start.

Outside of a lesson level, CC1 level 9 (NUTS AND BOLTS) is the first level in CC1 that has fire but no fire boots, and is the first level that isn't a lesson level.

There are 35 tiles with blue in them: water, ice, exit, blue door, southeast ice corner, southwest ice corner, northwest ice corner, northeast ice corner, fake blue wall, real blue wall, thief, blue button, teleporter, splash, chip on exit, 2 fake exits, Chip swimming north, Chip swimming west, Chip swimming south, Chip swimming east, north tank, west tank, south tank, east tank, north glider, west glider, south glider, east glider, north walker, west walker, south walker, east walker, blue key, flipper, ice skate. For Tile World tiles, remove the thief but add the socket.

There are still some people who play an 80's video game called Chip's Challenge. That's trivia for most sentient beings in our universe (and timeline).

• Upvote 3

The sequence of tiles that Chip steps on in chipwiki's AVI is floor, chip, blue key, floor, blue door, floor, yellow key, chip, floor x6, blue key, floor x2, chip, floor, yellow door, floor, chip, green key, floor x5, blue door, floor x2, chip, floor x4, red key, chip, red key, floor, red door, floor, yellow key, chip, floor x4, green door, floor, chip, floor x7, green door, floor, chip, floor x7, red door, floor x2, chip, floor x5, yellow door, floor, chip, floor x8, chip socket, exit.

The time limit on of Jumping Swarm (CC#91) is 400. If by some freaky luck Chip could stand on one tile (like 28,30) and not be killed, it would take the walkers much more time to fill up this entire room. However, this does not happen as the monster limit of 128 is reached in MSCC earlier. It might therefore be possible to score just a time of one second on this level. In TW this monster limit does not seem to be emulated, but the cloning speed is not fast enough to fill up the whole room before time runs out. Surely there still is some higher time limit that would be high enough to force Chip not to be able to solve the level with just one second remaining even in theory? Well, actually, by some more freaky luck, the walkers could concentrate themselves in the north-east corner in such density that three walkers would be stuck on the force floors for just enough time to send another walker back through the corridor. This could stop the creation of more monsters and allow for enough room for Chip to survive indefinitely, or at least as long as playing skill will allow.

In lynx, the mechanism works differently and the cloning always stops after the first 16 walkers. This makes scoring a low score of one second much easier. However, lynx will also allow a player to step on the exit just as the clock ticks down to zero and still consider the level solved. You can thus get even a time of 0 on this level in lynx.

Good luck scoring either low score.

The time limit on of Jumping Swarm (CC#91) is 400. If by some freaky luck Chip could stand on one tile (like 28,30) and not be killed, it would take the walkers much more time to fill up this entire room. However, this does not happen as the monster limit of 128 is reached in MSCC earlier. It might therefore be possible to score just a time of one second on this level. In TW this monster limit does not seem to be emulated, but the cloning speed is not fast enough to fill up the whole room before time runs out. Surely there still is some higher time limit that would be high enough to force Chip not to be able to solve the level with just one second remaining even in theory? Well, actually, by some more freaky luck, the walkers could concentrate themselves in the north-east corner in such density that three walkers would be stuck on the force floors for just enough time to send another walker back through the corridor. This could stop the creation of more monsters and allow for enough room for Chip to survive indefinitely, or at least as long as playing skill will allow.

In lynx, the mechanism works differently and the cloning always stops after the first 16 walkers. This makes scoring a low score of one second much easier. However, lynx will also allow a player to step on the exit just as the clock ticks down to zero and still consider the level solved. You can thus get even a time of 0 on this level in lynx.

Good luck scoring either low score.

I was actually imagining a thing where on Jumping Swarm in MSCC the monster limit of 128 would kick in and stop the cloning of walkers. Interesting.

The monster limit doesn't apply to cloning monsters. Play WARS for a while, you'll see that more than 127 monsters can get cloned. The reason you can't place more than 127 monsters, I'm guessing, is because there isn't even space in the data file to store them.

That counts as pointless CC trivia, by the way.

That limit doesn't seem to work when i use MSCC. I thought it was just the Atari Lynx version.

Ok, I was just assuming it might since I didn't have access to MSCC and the wiki mentions it and James had also said something to that effect. So is the limit the size of the board then, who knows??

In Special (CC#149) it's possible to read all three hints and still solve the level.

Northwest ice corner (first appears on level 13)

Southwest ice corner (first appears on level 13)

They both appear in level 9

They both appear in level 9

alright, this post is now my last, I refuse to ever post in this topic ever again

no josh i'm not mad lolz

Fine I'll keep posting

There are only three levels in CC1 with two-digit time limits.

(#10 BRUSHFIRE - 80)

(#31 KNOT - 29)

(#39 GLUT - 20)

I double checked this time... -,-

Fine I'll keep posting

There are only three levels in CC1 with two-digit time limits.

(#10 BRUSHFIRE - 80)

(#31 KNOT - 29)

(#39 GLUT - 20)

I double checked this time... -,-

Level 131 has a time limit of 60

The use of invalid tiles in an official set was first introduced in CCLP2's level #14: "The Parallel Port".

Mike L's site has a list of custom level sets made for Chip's Challenge. Currently they all have a total of 22,222 levels.

There are 15 tiles with red in them: fire, red door, red button, bomb, burned chip, north fireball, west fireball, south fireball, east fireball, north teeth, west teeth, south teeth, east teeth, red key, and fire boot. For Tile World tiles, remove fire, burned chip, north fireball, west fireball, south fireball, east fireball, and fire boot, but add thief and clone machine, making 10.

I'm thinking if using this thread to post never-before-heard CCLP3 behind-the-scenes info. :)

To start off: in "Mental Blocks," Madhav originally had Chip facing right at the start as a hint for which direction to travel, but in Lynx, Chip always faces down. This was considered unfair, so we ended up adjusting every level to have Chip always facing down at the start. :)

• Upvote 1

In CC1's GRAIL (level 54), there are three ways to exit, using either a green, red, or yellow key. There is also a blue door, but no blue key exists on the level.

I had no idea.....

The "corrupted" version of SPIRALS is the original -- at some point before BOWEP Microsoft realized that it was pretty much unsolvable and took out the thin wall near the end.  In Lynx TileWorld (and I supposed in Atari Lynx) the walkers sometimes pick a "bad" direction and don't move -- MS works differently making them much more aggressive.

I had no idea.....

In Lynx, to reach the red door Chip needs to use a partial post, making this the first level utilizing the concept.

The "corrupted" version of SPIRALS is the original -- at some point before BOWEP Microsoft realized that it was pretty much unsolvable and took out the thin wall near the end.  In Lynx TileWorld (and I supposed in Atari Lynx) the walkers sometimes pick a "bad" direction and don't move -- MS works differently making them much more aggressive.

Just to clarify, the first WEP4 version was corrupt, but the BOWEP version was not. However, someone at some point mentioned in the past that they only had WEP4 and their version was not corrupt, so it's possible the change came very soon after the first release.

Uncookable levels in CCLP2:

1. A Fleeting Memory

2. Naomi's Bug Collection

3. Slightly Mad

4. Maze of One Way

5. Mazed In

6. The Serial Port

7. The Parallel Port

8. Elemental

9. Ranger Denmark

10. Sudden Death

11. Race for the Chip

12. Work Fast

13. Frozen Floors

14. Chase Race

15. The Big Button Quest

16. Spy

17. Fun House Rink

18. Breaking the Rules

19. Hurry Up, Chip!

20. An Then There Were...Four?

21. The Lake In Winter

22. Planet of the Teeth

23. Icy Moat

24. Jungle

25. Loop Holes

26. Hobgoblins and Chimera

27. Killer Spiral

28. Mads Rush II

29. Fire Bugs

30. Cra-zy

31. Frost Swirl

32. The Walker Machine

33. Tutti-Frutti

34. Loop

35. Torch

36. Joyride I

37. Oorto Gled II

38. Paramecia

39. Dodge!

40. Miscellaneous

41. Gauntlet

Just to clarify, the first WEP4 version was corrupt, but the BOWEP version was not. However, someone at some point mentioned in the past that they only had WEP4 and their version was not corrupt, so it's possible the change came very soon after the first release.

I can confirm this. My copy comes from WEP4 and it has the non-evil Spirals.

On-topic trivia: Goldkey and Pain have the same password except reversed and oh god everyone already knows this one

I suck at trivia.

In the CC1 level, STRANGE MAZE, there is only one "removable" wall-acting thing: the chip sockets (and this could be advantaged for a better time).

No level 145 in Lynx CC, so there's really just 148 levels. In MSCC, it's credits for porting the Lynx CC to the MS version we know today. But, in Lynx, entering a password brings up a cool effect thing. Some consider that hidden easter egg the true Level 145 in Lynx, odd enough.

Walkers are the biggest jerks in MSCC, moreso then in lynx and I WILL ****ING BEAT UP WHOEVER THOUGHT THAT WAS A GOOD IDEA TO THE POINT I CAN DRINK THEIR BLOOD AND BE CONSIDERED THE NEW ****IN' DRACULA, *****!

...And I made a CC Tee in AC:NL.

Walkers are the biggest jerks in MSCC, moreso then in lynx and I WILL ****ING BEAT UP WHOEVER THOUGHT THAT WAS A GOOD IDEA TO THE POINT I CAN DRINK THEIR BLOOD AND BE CONSIDERED THE NEW ****IN' DRACULA, *****!

• Upvote 3

My thoughts exactly. This got very dark all of a sudden... I guess now wouldn't be a good time to profess my love of walkers? :D
  • Upvote 2

In the CC1 level, STRANGE MAZE, there is only one "removable" wall-acting thing: the chip sockets (and this could be advantaged for a better time).

Except the TWS already does that. I know coz I just tried w/o looking at it, til after I solved the level.

There is more than one way to pick up the keys in Lesson 1 and still score the bold time.

Five CC1 passwords can be formed from this sequence of letters: FLXPPHTY.

In the original Atari Lynx version of Chip's Challenge, Lesson 4's hint text is missing a period at the end of the last sentence.

There are only six levels in CCLP2 where the starting position of Chip is (0, 0).

And there is only one in CC1.  :P Not counting Thanks to..., there are 7 CC1 levels where Chip starts in the very top left non-border space (1,1).

Types of possible death:

- pink ball
- tank
- blob
- walker
- fireball
- glider
- bug

- paramecia 

- teeth 

- moving block

- moving ice block

- water

- fire

- bomb

- force floor slide into any of the above (except blocks, unless they are moving in the opposite direction)

- ice slide into any of the above (except blocks, unless they are moving in the opposite direction)

- having ice skates on ice with a monster, i.e. To Catch a Thief and Mice are Good for Something

- having suction boots on force floors with a monster

- pressing a red button that connects to a clone machine that the monster or block will land on the button therefore squashing Chip

- having a teeth or tank push an ice block into you

- getting killed by a cloned monster or block that was cloned by another monster or block while you were on the tile where the cloned monster or block is programmed to land or appear

- getting stuck on a trap and having a monster approach and kill you

- having a monster release from a trap while you are on the tile where it is supposed to release, therefore killing you 

- getting stuck in a corner while a teeth slowly approaches you, then eats you for his delicious Chip dinner

- being Chip McCallahan

- accidentally not staying a pop-up wall which then puts you in a corner where you cannot escape and a monster corners you, then you, well, die

- Chip listens to music with headphone volume too loud

- Trying to maneuver through multiple pink ball patterns

- Trying to solve You Can't Teach an Old Frog New Tricks

- Trying to solve pretty much any late CCLP3 level

- Trying to solve pretty much any level
- playing Chip's Challenge

- Chip goes to get chips, then realizes he's out of chips, then gets killed by a teeth who then steals his acquired chips

- removing dirt, a fake blue wall, or a lock right as a monster (was about to) collide with it

- playing in microsoft ruleset

- playing in lynx ruleset

- playing at all

- having the CC1, CCPL2, or CCLP3 graduate awards

- playing Bloblake

- playing any custom award level

- trying to solve a pieguy level

- trying to not die

- moving under a tank as it reverses

- trying to get through the row of tanks on Think Tank (or other levels)
- playing Think Tank

- suicide

- Chip's Challenge 1 level 86

- testing a custom level

- playing TS0

- approaching Melinda

Some levels renamed for inclusion in CCLP3 had titles being considered other than the final one used. What was "A Cloning Level" and became "Vulcan" had "Pyro Technique" considered as a potential alternate name. "Slide Sorter" was one of the options for what eventually became "Slide Show."

In CC1, a total of nine levels have passwords beginning with "L" (also "B" and "U" in the MS version, given the mistranslation of BRUSHFIRE and PARANOIA's passwords), the most of any letter in the original levelset. On the other end of the scale, only a single level has a password beginning with "A" (NICE DAY).

There are nineteen tiles with green in them: south force floor, north force floor, east force floor, west force floor, green door, green button, closed toggle door, open toggle door, random force floor, north blob, west blob, south blob, east blob, green key, suction boots, add north Chip, west Chip, south Chip, and east Chip. Same with Tile World tiles.

If one were to play all the custom levels ever made, and time how long it took, the answer would be that it took a long time.

I sometimes hide messages in these posts by using white.

• Upvote 4

Levels that were considered for the "Totally Unfair" (#131) slot in CCLP3 included Commit Suicide?, Magic Trick, Waterslide, Manic Depression, and Marooned.

If there is any level you play in Lynx that has only two teleports and has a requirement of using an enemy to partial post. The level can be considered "busted" by just entering teleport A while an enemy is entering teleport B at the exact same time.

If there is any level you play in Lynx that has only two teleports and has a requirement of using an enemy to partial post. The level can be considered "busted" by just entering teleport A while an enemy is entering teleport B at the exact same time.

Something similar might be possible in MS using the mouse to activate the teleport skip glitch.

For Lynx, however, it still needs its own page on the wiki.

I don't think it is a glitch. When Chip, a monster, or a block moves from one tile to another, the game considers its location to be the destination tile, but the tile's effects (except for sliding effects) don't apply to it until it has fully transitioned onto the tile. In your case, when it's time for Chip to teleport, the monster is still transitioning onto the teleport, so the teleport is considered occupied and, therefore, Chip cannot access it.

You can't win if there is no exit.

Some might disagree; see pi.dat #41 or KeyboardWielder.dat #135 for two separate ways.

You can't lose if you reach the exit.

• Upvote 1

There are fifteen tiles with yellow in them: fire, yellow door, socket square, hint, burned Chip, north bug, west bug, south bug, east bug, north fireball, west fireball, south fireball, east fireball, yellow key, and fire boot. For Tile World tiles, remove socket square and fire boot (I'll still call the bugs yellow), but add teleporter, bomb, more-burnt Chip (not sure what to call that), and teleporting object, making seventeen.

The Multiple Tank Glitch will only work when there is a sliding tile underneath the tile with multiple tanks. There also has to be at least 2 tanks on that one tile. You can change the 4 items that are circling around by interacting with the various tiles that can go around (for example, colliding with a real wall, or pushing a block into water).

These are the tiles you can have moving around on ice/suction when the Multiple Tank Glitch is utilized, whether directly created or indirectly:

Ice

Ice Corner NE

Ice Corner NW

Ice Corner SE

Ice Corner SW

Block Cloner N

Block Cloner E

Block Cloner S

Block Cloner W

Moveable Block

Suction N

Suction E

Suction S

Suction W

Red Key Door

Blue Key Door

Yellow Key Door

Green Key Door

Real Wall

Fake Wall

Exit

Tank Button

Teleport

Trap

Bomb

Panel E

Panel S

Dirt

Floor

Wall

Computer Chip

Water

Ice Block

Exit 2

Exit 3

Exit 4

The Multiple Tank Glitch will only work when there is a sliding tile underneath the tile with multiple tanks. There also has to be at least 2 tanks on that one tile. You can change the 4 items that are circling around by interacting with the various tiles that can go around (for example, colliding with a real wall, or pushing a block into water).

These are the tiles you can have moving around on ice/suction when the Multiple Tank Glitch is utilized, whether directly created or indirectly:

Ice

Ice Corner NE

Ice Corner NW

Ice Corner SE

Ice Corner SW

Block Cloner N

Block Cloner E

Block Cloner S

Block Cloner W

Moveable Block

Suction N

Suction E

Suction S

Suction W

Red Key Door

Blue Key Door

Yellow Key Door

Green Key Door

Real Wall

Fake Wall

Exit

Tank Button

Teleport

Trap

Bomb

Panel E

Panel S

Dirt

Floor

Wall

Computer Chip

Water

Ice Block

Exit 2

Exit 3

Exit 4

Such a strange glitch.

It can make many interesting levels.  Too bad it doesn't work in Tile World.