quiznos00

Pointless CC Trivia Thread

Ways to solve or win a level:

- Step onto any reachable exit tile on a level [Appears in most CC levels]

- Exits appearing through data resetting: If Chip's location is at (21, y), an exit tile can appear at (8, 0) if (8, 32) is reset. [Appears in TCCLPRejects #58]

- If the goal is to die, find a way to kill Chip [Appears through all of Karoshi.ccl, and in only one level in other sets]

- To get to the next level without external program use, you can place the password of the next level inside the hint text [MSCC]

[i can't think of any others so this is an incomplete list]

Ways to solve or win a level:

- Step onto any reachable exit tile on a level [Appears in most CC levels]

- Exits appearing through data resetting: If Chip's location is at (21, y), an exit tile can appear at (8, 0) if (8, 32) is reset. [Appears in TCCLPRejects #58]

- If the goal is to die, find a way to kill Chip [Appears through all of Karoshi.ccl, and in only one level in other sets]

- To get to the next level without external program use, you can place the password of the next level inside the hint text [MSCC]

[i can't think of any others so this is an incomplete list]

Here are a few other ones:

In early versions of Tile World Lynx, step on a fake exit tile.

Use the multiple tank glitch.  More info in Hornlitz' post.

Including ice corners, there are a total of 10,290 ice tiles in CC1. Here is a rundown on the levels that have ice in them:

LESSON 3 - 8

NUTS AND BOLTS - 92

TRINITY - 31

SOUTHPOLE - 872

ELEMENTARY - 97

TOSSED SALAD - 8

ICEBERG - 160

FORCED ENTRY - 106

PING PONG - 96

ARCTICFLOW - 191

ON THE ROCKS - 38

FLOORGASBORG - 60

I.C. YOU - 2

LOCK BLOCK - 10

THREE DOORS - 227

PIRE SEVEN - 109

MUGGER SQUARE - 138

I SLIDE - 877

TRAFFIC COP - 7

POTPOURRI - 36

DEEPFREEZE - 641

LOOP AROUND - 52

HIDDEN DANGER - 96

RINK - 725 788

BLOCK FACTORY - 78

AMSTERDAM - 233

NIGHTMARE - 29

PLAYTIME - 207

FOUR PLEX - 94

WARS - 1

CITYBLOCK - 42

BLOCK BUSTER - 85

PLAYHOUSE - 38

ROADSIGN - 23

PARANOIA - 33

SHRINKING - 216

ICEHOUSE - 570

BLOCK OUT - 85

TORTURECHAMBER - 20

CHILLER - 339

TIME LAPSE - 56

DECEPTION - 38

BLOCK BUSTER II - 116

MISS DIRECTION - 225

SLIDE STEP - 332

ALPHABET SOUP - 20

PERFECT MATCH - 4

TOTALLY FAIR - 2

THE PRISONER - 20

FIRETRAP - 142

MIXED NUTS - 102

ALL FULL - 2

ICE CUBE - 748

TOTALLY UNFAIR - 2

MIX UP - 87

TRUST ME - 161

DOUBLEMAZE - 449

YORKHOUSE - 55

ICEDEATH - 662

PENTAGRAM - 5

Thanks To... - 147

CAKE WALK - 17

SPECIAL - 138

In addition to this, I spent about 4 hours counting all this. I had absolutely nothing better to do. Also apparently I missed adding something so I guess that means my addition skills suck.  (Y)

Edited by Flareon350

Including ice corners, there are a total of 9,577 ice tiles in CC1. Here is a rundown on the levels that have ice in them:

In addition to this, I spent about 4 hours counting all this. I had absolutely nothing better to do. Enjoy yourselves!

Actually there are 10,290  (takes 4 minutes cheating with c4 and stuff).  ;)

You counted pretty well (except for RINK and SHRINKING) - given that the numbers in your list sum up to 10,302 - but your addition sucks.  :P

- Madhav.

but your addition sucks.  :P

Um it was like 2am when I counted all this, you can see that via the time I posted that.

Plus, I had a pretty well systematic way of counting all the ice. How many does RINK and SHRINKING have if it's not what I provided? 

This is how I did RINK - 

31x31 grid = 961

Minus all walls, blue walls, chips, socket and exit = 236

= 725

Um it was like 2am when I counted all this, you can see that via the time I posted that.

Plus, I had a pretty well systematic way of counting all the ice. How many does RINK and SHRINKING have if it's not what I provided? 

This is how I did RINK - 

31x31 grid = 961

Minus all walls, blue walls, chips, socket and exit = 236

= 725

Pointless trivia: the Chip's Challenge grid is 32 x 32.

Pointless trivia: the Chip's Challenge grid is 32 x 32.

:facepalm: that's where I messed up... lol

Edited by Flareon350

Madhav, I think your total is wrong, too. You didn't count ice tiles on the second layer, of which there are 84 occurrences: 3 in MUGGER SQUARE, 68 in SHRINKING, 8 in ICEHOUSE, and 5 in Thanks to... . (The ones in Thanks to... are buried under other ice tiles.)

So the true total is 10374.

[not counting double layers, and counting both versions of CC1]

When CC1 was released in 1989 for the Atari Lynx, there were 151,552 tiles in official level packs.

At the release of MSCC in 1992 through WEP4 and later BOWEP, there were 304,128 tiles in official level packs.

At the release of CCLP2, there were 456,704 tiles in official level packs.

At the release of CCLP3 [as of currently] there were and are 609,280 tiles in official level packs.

Post-CCLP1 release, there will then be 761,856 tiles in official level packs. 

There will be not be 1,000,000 tiles until the release of the pack after the pack that is after CCLP1, which may or may not happen.

Of all those tiles, only 595 are Chip starting tiles, and will be 744 post-CCLP1 release.

That being said, Chip starting positions only take up 0.00019% of all official level set tiles!

Madhav, I think your total is wrong, too. You didn't count ice tiles on the second layer, of which there are 84 occurrences: 3 in MUGGER SQUARE, 68 in SHRINKING, 8 in ICEHOUSE, and 5 in Thanks to... . (The ones in Thanks to... are buried under other ice tiles.)

I didn't count the Ice/Ice combo on Thanks to... either, but I did include the second layer on all other levels. Basically the only mistake I made was on RINK.

Ah...  :fireblock:  Serves me right for being over-confident about my little awk command.  Apologies to Josh.

And I love how meticulous the three of us have been about this.  :D

- Madhav.

That being said, Chip starting positions only take up 0.00019% of all official level set tiles!

You added the other stuff correctly, but the percentage should be ~0.098%, meaning that every 32 x 32 level has only one starting position! :)

If we don't count the original CC1 for Lynx because it is similar enough to MSCC1, then CC1+CCLP2+CCLP3 have 149 x 3 x 1024= 457,728 tiles. I wonder how many of these are actually reachable by Chip? And how many are reachable by Chip in a way that the level in question can still be solved? Any guesses on the percentages? I'll guess 20% on the second case.

I wonder how many of these are actually reachable by Chip? And how many are reachable by Chip in a way that the level in question can still be solved? Any guesses on the percentages? I'll guess 20% on the second case.

I suppose it depends on your definition of "reachable". For example, a level like ICEBERG has lots of water tiles that you can just step into, but dying precludes you somewhat from solving the level! There is a block cloner which would allow you to bridge to any random water tile you like without dying, but it would be impossible to reach them all in a single run with the paltry time limit of 150.

Combine this with the facts that:

[a] - almost every CC1 level has a complete wall tile border of some sort (although RINK, which has already been mentioned, is a prime example of where this is NOT the case!), which is (for a 32x32 level at least) 124 / 322 = 12.1% of the total tiles in the level, and...

- a good number of levels don't take up anywhere near the full 32x32 grid anyway. LESSON 2 has only 64 reachable tiles (in any one run), including blocks, bridged water spaces, floor under bugs, chips, socket and exit, leaving 322-64 = 960 "unreachable" tiles, which make up 93.75% of the level.

Assuming we're considering reachable tiles in a single run that still allow Chip to reach the exit and complete the level, I think 20% is a pretty good estimate.

Chuck's Challenge 3D is a game by Chuck Sommerville. It is similar to Chip's Challenge, except its grid is 32 x 32 x 32. Chuck's Challenge 4D is expected to be announced soon.

• Upvote 6

Chuck's Challenge 3D is a game by Chuck Sommerville. It is similar to Chip's Challenge, except its grid is 32 x 32 x 32. Chuck's Challenge 4D is expected to be announced soon.

ChipEdit was a program developed by Microsoft alongside MSCC.  It was used to port the levels from the Lynx game to the MS game.  It was supposed to be released as part of WEP4, but Bill Gates was in a hurry to get the pack released.  It was finally released a few years later by former MS programmer John Elion.

Skelzie is the only level in CC1 that was found impossible because of a certain wall configuration, because of this, the MS playtesters were forced to fix the center area from a 11x11 grid area to a 11x13 grid area.

Number of levels without blocks in CCLP1 - 0 as of this date.

63 as of this date.

The 81-90 decade has only 1 level without blocks, Starry Night.

The 41-50 decade has 8 levels without blocks- only Mughfe and Bombs Away! contain blocks.

Also, I took this post as a challenge to see how many insanely stupid cooks were missed.

2. Naomi's Bug Collection  You can use the 2 blocks at the start to trap a bug in front of a lock.  This would be cookable even with one block by trapping the left bug n the space of the left red lock.

7. The Parallel Port  You can cook this level by picking up the skates and then going back onto the thief.

10. Sudden Death  You can cook this level by going on the force floor slide to the exit without all the chips.

12. Work Fast  You can cook this level by going down to the thieves without the chips.

14. Chase Race  You can cook this level by pressing "down" after picking up the skates, by teleporting to the right at any time or by leaving behind the chip in the teeth area.

19. Hurry Up, Chip!  You can cook this level by following the block at (26, 8), or by releasing the glider and letting it get to the exit hallway first.

22. Planet of the Teeth  Alright, you'd have to be TRYING to cook this one, but removing the blue lock and luring the teeth monster nearby into the teleport makes teleporting from the right from (16,15) a deathtrap.  This makes the chip at (17, 16) inaccessible, permanently, cooking the level.

25. Loop Holes  There are 4 red keys, 4 yellow keys and 4 blue keys in the level.  There are 6 of each color lock.  It's possible to spend every key on the locks in the corners and leave the chips at (13, 18) and (17, 18) unreachable.

28. Mads Rush II  Pick up the skates, backtrack to the thief.  Level cooked.

29. Fire Bugs  Upon reaching the buried Chip tile, stepping any direction other than left seals off the flippers forever.

31. Frost Swirl  Easily cookable by leaving any of the 3 same color key for key+chip trades for last.

33. Tutti-Frutti  This level can be cooked by collecting both pairs of fireboots, then hitting the thief by the toggle switch without the chip at (0, 0) collected.

34. Loop  This level can be cooked by leaving behind chips and hitting a thief, or by backtracking to a thief after getting the fireboots.

37. Oorto Gled II  You have 4 blocks, and access to corners.  This can trap the 2 fireballs, making some chips unobtainable.  Another method would be directing fireballs onto a blocked teleport, making the exit unreachable.  Another method would be just plugging a doorway with 2 blocks, making everything past it unreachable.  Finally, you could just remove both sockets and replace them with blocks, making the exit unreachable for the truly determined cooker.

38. Paramecia  Press right after stepping on the first thief.

40. Miscellaneous  Another convoluted cook, but playing the level normally up to the flippers.  Then clone gliders in such a way so that the tank button will be hit (preferably only once), which will trap Chip on the ice area.  I have not tested this, but it should at least in theory be possible to cook the level in this way.  It's a tough one to cook due to the bust  :P

41. Gauntlet  This level can be cooked by taing the block back through the blob room, blocking the glider cloners with it and then pushing it down.  Then, clone a ton of gliders and eventually the ball/tank room will become impassable.

11. Race for the Chips  Sorta kinda cookable by going for a chip in such a way so that the teeth will kill you, but the exact terminology is up for debate.

16.5: Ladder Needs a Wash  Either this is cookable and Race for the Chips is cookable, or neither are.

24. Jungle  Same reasoning as the other 2 levels down here.

30. Cra-zy  I believe it would be possible to let the fireball room flood, making the exit unreachable, but surviving that long...it's another borderline case.

So, that's 41-17+1=25 uncookable CCLP2 levels by any definition.  By the looser "can be trapped for a few moves before dying" definition, it drops to only 21.  I think I'll compile a similar list for CCLP1 and CC1, since this is fun  :P

• Upvote 1