Sign in to follow this  
M11k4

Which item do you like the most?

Favourite item?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these items do you like the most?

• flippers
    • fire boots
    • skates
    • suction boots
    • yellow key
    • red key
    • blue key
    • green key

For me: What Tom said. So much nostalgia behind putting on some fire boots and going where no video game had dared to go before.

I loved having so many possibilities be opened to me at once upon finding the fire boots in a level full of fire; it was what made the game so great for me when I was young.

Poor suction boots.

I like the red key best, because it causes no issues in either ruleset as far as monster collision / deletion goes. Except that nasty transparency glitch!

Ice skates! Since there's no winter season in here... no frozen lake in the winter.

Damn, I really wanted to learn how to ice-skating... is it fun?

Yes, it is fun. I'm sorry you miss out on it.

Edited by Lessinath

I chose ice skates because, in addition to getting new areas to explore, the mechanics change as well.

Poor suction boots.

Force floors are confusing.

Ice skates! Since there's no winter season in here... no frozen lake in the winter.

Damn, I really wanted to learn how to ice-skating... is it fun?

Skating is super fun, I feel so free on the rink.

I like the blue key. 0007:13FF is my absolute favourite seemingly random combination of characters of all time. I hear that particular location in the CHIPS.EXE module has a lovely view of the ocean.

I love the blue key in Lynx - interesting possibilities when a monster can erase a tile. :)

Flippers. With water levels tending to be bad in most video games, and with how many levels in CC have water (and thus, most of the time flippers) I love the things. It's kind of a settle "Take that!" to water levels once you get one. It's also the item you MUST keep in mind if you aim for a pretty good time in CASTLE MOAT, which was my first level I tried aiming for a good time.

I don't know why I chose fire boots instead of flippers or suction boots. I just gotta say my least favourite is skates because although Chip is out of control, he looks more like he's skating when he's boosting on ice rather than just walking.

The skates were called cleats in the original Lynx version, which may be the reason for the effect they have.

Water levels tend to be annoying because of the complete change of physics for a relatively short segment of the game. The only real reason water is annoying in Chip's Challenge is its potential for long block-pushing levels.

I'm the only one who voted for suction boots? I mean, who wouldn't love to try on "suction boots" in real life? :P Walk on the ceiling.

I must agree with something JB said in one of his videos: the whole suction shoe on a force floor concept doesn't really make any sense... If you're standing on a escalator-like device, how are suction boots going to enable you to negate the effect of that?

In Atari Lynx they were magnets or something different weren't they?

I must agree with something JB said in one of his videos: the whole suction shoe on a force floor concept doesn't really make any sense... If you're standing on a escalator-like device, how are suction boots going to enable you to negate the effect of that?

XD You're right XD

!!!

Ladies and gentlemen, I believe we have just discovered something that may fundamentally revolutionize our concept of Chip's Challenge. For years, we have thought that Chip put the suction boots on his feet and walked on the floor, when all this time what he has really been doing is wearing the boots on his hands and walking on the ceiling!

Call the newspapers! This is the greatest scientific discovery since quantum physics!

• Upvote 1

Correct. (according to this page, anyway)

I get "fire shield for fire, but "water shield"?? Is it some kind of force field that enables chip to fly over the water?

let's continue to over-analyze: I don't quite see how magnets would help you on force floors either. If it's a magnet that pulls you to the floor it would be the same as the suction boots. If it's a magnet that repels you from the floor that wouldn't work either.

This led me to an interesting question: If you have a large magnet in the shape of a moving escalator (and it actually moves like one) what happens to the magnetic field? Does it move too? :blink:

also the fire boots wouldn't make me feel safe enough to walk through fire [depending on how high the fire is I guess]

I imagined the magnet is attracted to a floor underneath the moving floor, although that wouldn't really explain Chip's equal ease of movement in all directions. Maybe there's a strong fan at the back of the arrow blowing in the arrow's direction and the arrow is just painted on the floor (or a light display in Lynx)?