Sign in to follow this  
random 8

Do you use sounds in MSCC?

Sounds in Chip's Challenge  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Do you (generally speaking) let music play when you play Chip's Challenge (the original program)?

• No: I don't use the original Chip's Challenge program.
    • No: I leave it off.
    • Yes: the original tunes that came with the program.
    • Yes: custom tunes (which may or may not include the original tunes).
  2. 2. Do you (generally speaking) have sound effects on when you play Chip's Challenge?

• No: I don't use the original Chip's Challenge program.
    • No: I leave it off.
    • Yes: the original sounds that came with the program.
    • Yes: custom sounds (which may or may not include the original sounds).

I happen to be listening to the original CHIP01.MID right now. On loop. With nothing else on the playlist. (Y)

CHIP02.MID, on the other hand, is mediocre.

I don't listen to the music in the game, however, I do like the CHIP02 MIDI file. The canyon.MIDI is also amazing.

Sound effects wise... I use them all the time. I add the bomb and socket sounds from tile world 2 though since I don't have the originals. :)

I had the version that didn't include Canyon. :(

Back when I still could play MS version I added over 20 songs from other games, notably, Lemmings, Jewels of the Oracle and JourneyMan. But I did keep the one chip song, idk 1 or 2. It's the one that's NOT the 'bouncy' trumpet carnival like song. I didn't really care for that one and thought it gets really annoying after awhile especially if the level is long.

With only 2 or 3 songs it can get quite monotonous I think, but with a good variety it's great.

I always loved the BWIP sound when you collect a key in MS. :rolleyes:

Apparently, i didn't get the canyon.MID either.

It's the one that's NOT the 'bouncy' trumpet carnival like song.

But...that's the one i like...

And BWIP totally looks like a password. :)

I still have the MSCC sound effects and use them in Tile World. I also have the CHIP01 and CHIP02 MIDI files, and sometimes play them in the background while playing TW, but sadly, I never had canyon.

And about CHIP01, the carnival-song: I always thought it sounded like it would have the lyrics "dancing, dancing, with a bomb". Don't ask why.

Intersting, I was just wondering if MSCC had sound for bombs (as I didn't, the time, have sound for MS. I finally found a file with the original CCL1 sound play that everyone above has mentioned...but it doesn't have the bomb sound. It appears from reading Flareon that it can be added. Wish I knew where to get it and how to add it.

Anyone that knows and can help, please do. Thanks, Ian Wilson

Intersting, I was just wondering if MSCC had sound for bombs (as I didn't, the time, have sound for MS. I finally found a file with the original CCL1 sound play that everyone above has mentioned...but it doesn't have the bomb sound. It appears from reading Flareon that it can be added. Wish I knew where to get it and how to add it.

Anyone that knows and can help, please do. Thanks, Ian Wilson

The bomb sound file should be HIT3.wav in the folder you have MSCC in... If you have one of the complete Windows Entertainment Packs including Jezzball, it should have a file JEZZDEAD.wav which is actually the same sound effect - if you make a copy of this file and rename it HIT3, that should give you the bomb sound effect... Hope that helps!

Apparently, i didn't get the canyon.MID either.

But...that's the one i like...

And BWIP totally looks like a password. :)

To each his own number one. :)

Actually to be precise I don’t dislike that song. It’s just the kind of song I don’t like to listen to for a long period of time. Kind of reminds me of Yakaty Sax. Whereas the other one for some reason just sounds really cool to me and I could listen to it for a long time. That bass line is crazy! (of course it’s probably not an actual bass guitar but midi instruments…) those two songs used to stick in my head for hours... at night while I tried to sleep.

hey have you guys heard the music from the Lynx original? I really liked that, even thought the video I saw was pretty laggy, from what I saw there were at least 4 different songs and they all sounded pretty good. I wish they had adapted them in some way.

--------------

have you heard of this?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKiCpk1Wwxw

I generally play music when casually playing. canyon.mid is one of the main songs I let play, for the others, I just listen to something else. As for game sounds, it's an always, with slight modifications here and there.

I used to have the combination of:

Chip01 (this should be the rather fast one in a minor key)

Canyon

Chip02 (the rather jazzy song whose opening notes sound like "Sometimes You Feel Like a Nut")

I was tempted to add passport.mid to the mix (anyone remember this gem?), but it just wasn't the same as that trifecta.

I'm pretty sure all three of the ones you just listed are in a major key, unless you are talking about some different song I've never heard before.

It still sounds pretty much major to me, but I know exactly what you mean now. I would need to see its sheet music or being played on a piano to know for sure, however. :)