Sign in to follow this  
James

Are you a competitive player?

Are you a competitive player?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Defined as somebody who plays CC with the intention of improving their best times (mostly in the 3 official sets). One can be both a casual and competitive player.

• I am
    • I was in the past, but I lost interest
    • Sort of...I don't consider myself a serious one
    • No, but I might try competitive play out
    • I will die before I care about my best times

I like to improve my times, but just forget bold routes entirely for me. My fingers would break at Doublemaze for sure, and no comment @Blobnet.

I am the most competitive player there is. My passion for boosting burns like the fire in Beat the Heat. And don't get me started on flicking. The first time I tried it on Debug File, I kept on flicking for hours. I refuse to play any level with random elements in it. Even if they are inconsequential to the bold route, like in Sardines, I will not play it. In fact, I wrote a 22-page letter to Chuck Sommerville explaining how the inclusion of Blobnet in CC1 was the greatest human tragedy to occur within the past 100 years. The letter would have been longer if it weren't for the inclusion of Doublemaze, which is the greatest level ever made because of its optimization potential (though, without T-Chip, its optimization would be pointless). In conclusion, I am the greatest optimizer around. I knew there was a bust in Yet Another Yet Another Puzzle since the beginning, but I let pieguy announce that he discovered the bust. My score on Cloner's Maze is 798. But I don't need the recognition; it's the numbers that give me the thrill to continue optimizing.

Okay seriously, I'm not that competitive. I mimicked some of the CC1 AVIs to improve my score and after getting in 40th place, I decided that was enough :P I haven't tried improving my scores for CCLP2 much, and I still need to complete CCLP3...

Apparently I'm good enough to get bolds, cue Andrew B.'s words there. Though I'm generally not interested in doing so, for it'd require an insane amount of time which I don't necessarily have on my hands.

I only do because it makes me feel like I'm beating a set '100%' if you will. Also because I want to beat either Pieguy, John Lewis, or Andrew B at a record just for fun. Like that's ever going to happen though...

I am, or at least I used to be... Somewhere along the way (whether due to a decrease in CC time, the increase in difficulty of many new levels, or a combination of the two), I haven't been caring quite as much about times (although I still hope to get some CCLP3 improvements in before college starts back up...). Lately I've also been trying to avoid looking at solutions when I can (although I needed John's TWS just to solve quite a few CCLP3 levels during playtesting...), which doesn't really help the quest for bolds...

Though I enjoy competitive playing, CCLP3 playtesting helped me appreciate the value of casual playing.

My encouragement to the other playtesters during that period was, "Think like Rock." :)

• Upvote 1

I enjoy optimizing levels. I see it more as playing against a level rather than other people, though. But it's great to have the scoreboards to know what's possible. And of course it's nice to beat someone else's score when possible!

It's also important to me to complete a set in full, but just solving all the levels. Optimizing everything would usually just take too much time! But for many levels it is very satisfying to solve the "puzzle within a puzzle" that is finding how to complete all the required tasks most efficiently. It takes a while to learn this well, but the avis for cc1 and cclp3 really should help anyone who is interested in trying for themselves. I worked on many levels myself and then looked at how it should be done :-) I encourage others to try and optimize a few levels, even if later you still like playing mostly casually :-)

-Miika

Quite clearly, I've been one of the most competitive players in Chip's Challenge for many years, and I was learning far more in the CCLP3 era than I ever had been in the past; I could figure out what parts of a route could possibly be improved upon, and if I knew someone had done better than me, the required time improvement also assisted with this. All of a sudden, dramatic personal change has pulled me away from the game and I haven't even touched it for weeks (though I've opened the editors to re-check levels); it's been quite sad to have the Wiki disappear completely from my browsing history and to forget CCLP3 level numbers. Most of you have Facebook accounts, though Miika asked about it directly, and know basically what's happening. Chip's Challenge is currently of much less importance; there are still tasks I wish to accomplish (such as finishing the ChipWiki annotations), but this may come much later. I'm honestly not sure when.

Sometimes I can be competitive but usually not anymore. I love improving my scores, which put me at 29th place for CCLP2! And I'm currently replaying CC1 for scoreboard purposes. On level 54 (which sucks...)

Though I enjoy competitive playing, CCLP3 playtesting helped me appreciate the value of casual playing.

My encouragement to the other playtesters during that period was, "Think like Rock." :)

I am quite surprised and honored to see that line. That made my day.

• Upvote 2

I'm not that patient when it comes to getting a bold time, especially when I'm not the only one trying to get the best time. I just sometimes do it, but I don't expect to get the best time.

If I finish a level and find that I'm within a few seconds of the bold I might give it another couple of tries, provided it wasn't too long or annoying a level, but generally I'm not all that fussed about them. I just don't have the time resources skill.