AdrenalinDragon

Do you drive a car?

Do you drive a car?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Do you drive a car?

• Yes
    • No
    • Well... not a car.

I don't know how to speak English but in french we can say "j'ai failli shooter un piéton" so I hoped it was same in English, but whatever the language, I almost killed a poor soul crossing the road... Thx God the policeman stopped the car and told me "I am sorry, you failed".

Donc, la personne qui t'évaluait, c'était un policier?!

(So, the person evaluating you was a policeman?!)

Yes, it's the rule here in Jordan, two policemen in the car, the one behind just looks to your eyes going or not on mirrors and he's writting down all your mistakes ^^

Wow! That's a lot more intimidating than what we have to go through! Gosh. I'm suddenly glad that I didn't have to take my driver's test in Jordan. ;)

Yeah policemen are quiet intimidating hehe, but it's not worst than any driving examination ^^... Those people who are working as examinators just love their sadistic mission to make us fail !!!

They think I will go on dates or something if I have my own car...

Omg this is so funny. It makes me think of all American teenage movies. We don't really have this dating thing in Sweden.

How can somebody be old enough to drive but not to date?

We don't really have this dating thing in Sweden.

So how does it all happen? :)

I'm technically not allowed to have a girlfriend by my parents until I'm 18, but that is bullf*ckingsh*t IMO. What I do at school/outside the house simply isn't their business, unless it is physically dangerous.

Wow. That is total BS. My parents never cared. I didn't get my first GF till I was 18 though :P no one seemed to like me when I was a teen :teeth:

Wow. That is total BS. My parents never cared. I didn't get my first GF till I was 18 though :P no one seemed to like me when I was a teen :teeth:

I hear that. I believe I was 18 as well, and that didn't last, and the next one I think I was 23.

Also, just having a girlfriend can be physically dangerous. (I won't go into details -- use your imagination.)

I've been through sex ed and all that stuff, so I know the risks, don't worry. I'd rather not go into detail though. I'm not one to talk about relationship statuses much...

Well, I know where I live it's much better to start to slow down early, because often times poor road conditions require it. A few examples:

In the summer we can go a few weeks or more between thunderstorms, although we usually get SOME rain it's not enough to effectively wash the roads. That means that all the junk and rubber and oil from vehicles and their tires accumulates on the road, and when that gets rained on it's damn slippery at times.

Which leads to... Freezing rain in the spring / fall is a bitch, because sometimes you'll try to stop for an intersection 100 yards back and you'll skid clear through the intersection.

Also, general snow and ice in the winter. This winter hasn't been normal, because besides two cold snaps it's been in the 30's and 40's. We should have several feet of acumulated snow by now.

First Impressions and Driving smoothly:

One day you will be driving your 'main squeeze' around. And she won't be impressed by jerky driving. When you have passengers, you should drive like a chauffeur, as if their comfort is your most important concern. Smooth driving demonstrates control. It conserves fuel (= money). Think of it as a zen thing, or a type of kung fu, like the zen of driving, or the kung-fu of driving. For instance; try not steering the car at all, instead, think of it as applying pressure in the direction you want to go. When necessary, drive like Bond, but when not, drive like you are carrying nitroglycerine.

Ian

• Upvote 1

Well, I know where I live it's much better to start to slow down early, because often times poor road conditions require it. A few examples:

In the summer we can go a few weeks or more between thunderstorms, although we usually get SOME rain it's not enough to effectively wash the roads. That means that all the junk and rubber and oil from vehicles and their tires accumulates on the road, and when that gets rained on it's damn slippery at times.

Which leads to... Freezing rain in the spring / fall is a bitch, because sometimes you'll try to stop for an intersection 100 yards back and you'll skid clear through the intersection.

Also, general snow and ice in the winter. This winter hasn't been normal, because besides two cold snaps it's been in the 30's and 40's. We should have several feet of acumulated snow by now.

Which is why no one in their right mind lives in Wisconsin. (fyi I was born in Minnesota and live in Michigan. :P)

Which is why no one in their right mind lives in Wisconsin. (fyi I was born in Minnesota and live in Michigan. :P)

Isn't it terrible? I'd rather live here then in Michigan, though. :blob::fireblock:

...drive like you are carrying nitroglycerine.

Solid nitroglycerine is actually very stable, but as a liquid it's so unstable the first bump in the road would set it off no matter how carefully you were driving.

:P

I'm technically not allowed to have a girlfriend by my parents until I'm 18

Rules like that really tilt me. If there's something special going on love-wise, why should you be held back from it? Also, arbitrary age limits tilt me even harder...at 17 years 364 days 23 hours and 59 minutes old, you're clearly too immature to make your own decisions, but one minute later you're mature enough to be fully autonomous. Sounds legit (Y)

Would not get along well with your parents, lol. (or the government, or...I digress)

...here you can be locked up for life or even put on death row for a crime you commited when you were 15, but at the same age you can't drive*, can't sign contracts, can't buy cigs or alcohol, can't drop out of school, can't go to strip clubs, etc. It makes no sense whatsoever.

*As with other items on this list, there are exceptions. But for the most part, they hold true.

Age limits are set because we need cutoffs. In a perfect world, a step to the next level would be based on the maturity of the individual. That is the job of parenting. However, in the legal world, you are not allowed to discriminate, so we must require arbitrary standards which are not necessarily relevant to either ability or maturity.

My favorite saying: "You may only be young once, but you can be immature all your life"

Ian