FJepsen

Chess - Candidates tournament

We could organize one on Chess.com as they have tournaments which can be made invite-only. A non-paying member can make a tournament with 12 players, but if we need more I *could* get Mom to use her premium account to make a bigger one...

Or we just bracket-it-up here and play individual matches on chess.com, it doesn't have to be sophisticated :P

Count me as another person interested in this.. (as long as we do it correspondence-chess style...I'm absolutely horrible when you bring time controls into play)

• Upvote 1

If we do it on Chess.com, I believe everybody would play everybody which means quite a few games at once, so I'm good with just setting it up on here like Rock said. Agreed with James about time^

We could do round robin, or pair people up by their approximate levels (for example, James and me might be about an equal match based on our previous games, but I don't remember all that well). If we do Round Robin we might as well just have someone start a tournament on Chess.com and invite us all, as then it will automatically do all of the pairings and scoring for us, but if we want to play fewer games at once and maybe do it knockout style we could just organize it here.

I see no reason why not to use the tournament structure at chess.com, as allows for a much better understanding of what is going on. Do tell when you are starting, so I can lose every game.

More or less the same here, I'm about as good as James, but will always blunder before my opponent.

So interested would be:

BigOto2, jblewis, James, Flareon350, M11k4 and I.

That's 6 of us. Assuming FJepsen's in too, that's 7 of us. If we go knockout style, another player in would be perfect.

I'm not sure we'll get enough bang for our buck if we do a knockout tournament. Half of the players will only play a single game, and even if you do happen to win through to the final game, you will barely have played any games at all.

As for chess skill, I agree with Rock that we're about on the same skill level (and I also agree with his blundering comment, lol). @Trevor, we played twice IIRC, I won the first one (my first ever chess.com game!) because you blundered and missed a defendable mate in 1, and you won the second one because I didn't have any clue what I was doing. You're definitely better. :P (My chess.com rating is 1106, but I "should" be quite a bit higher. I've lost several games on time due to RL reasons and once resigned all 20 tournament games I was playing at the time in a bizarre moment of rage...lol. My blitz rating is 8xx because I blunder a piece every 5 moves :))

Oh, and as to the actual topic (on who will become the challenger for the world championship), the tournament is gearing up and looking exciting!

FJepsen, BigOto2, jblewis, James, Flareon350, M11k4, Michael, BlazingApollo, ajmiam and rockdet

We should just arrange Round Robin

Basically everyone faces everyone else and we compile the results and have some rankings to do something else after, probably a standard elimination bracket thing. So it's preliminaries.