Sign in to follow this  
mobius

Tile world in Linux/Ubuntu

I found Tile world through the Ubunutu software center and it works great on this Computer. Except one major problem:

How do you play custom levelsets? Despite trying for a long time I can't figure out for the life of me how the Ubunutu file system works and I don't know "where" to put levelsets. Or how to get an editor working for that matter... I'm guessing that's impossible however.

can anybody help me out?

What file system are you used to? Windows? ...or another version of Linux?

I ask because I am not familiar with Ubuntu specifically, but as far as I know it follows the same file system layout as other versions of Linux. In which case, I believe Tile World finds its "sets" and "save" directories under the "~/.tworld" directory.

As for an editor, Chip's Workshop has a Linux distribution, which can be downloaded at http://www.microstupidity.com/chipw/.

thank you thank you!

I am used to Windows. I just can't seem to get used to this or figure it out. I'm assuming that "File System" under the folder window is the equivilent to "C:/" in Windows, is that wrong?

and thanks very much for Chip's Workshot, I used to use that but thought it was gone forever

should I be usin the "command terminal"? Like you can't even enter that location in a bar somewhere like in Windows. I feel stupid but this feels very confusing.

I discovered the "find location" option but entering /.tworld or /.tileworld doesn't work.

Nevermind, I got it! finally!  :D  But I still don't understand how it works... :blink:

nooooooo.... it's not working. I put some recent CCLP1 voting packs in this folder and they don't show up on the tileworld menu :(

"/" in Linux is the root directory, somewhat similar to "C:\" in Windows.

Therefore "/.tworld" in Linux is like "C:\.tworld" in Windows...it's not actually where you want to find the directory. You need the "~" prefix, representing your user home directory: "~/.tworld".

And if you haven't reconfigured anything, Madhav's suggestion should return something like "/home/your_user_name/.tworld/sets" -- "~" is a shortcut for "/home/your_user_name", so it comes to the same thing. :)

:)  thanks very much for this info. I will try it out, though I may not need to because by tommorrow I'll have my old computer back. (running windows 7) :rolleyes: